Thread: New to DI2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New to DI2

Folks,

Been thinking about doing an internal DI2 build for myself. The only "hands-on" experience I have with DI2 is with off-the-peg bikes using BB/PF30 so everything was run internally. Is there enough room to run cables through the BB if I'm using an english BB?

Other than needing larger vent holes is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New to DI2

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Folks,

Been thinking about doing an internal DI2 build for myself. The only "hands-on" experience I have with DI2 is with off-the-peg bikes using BB/PF30 so everything was run internally. Is there enough room to run cables through the BB if I'm using an english BB?

Other than needing larger vent holes is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks.
    Using an English BB with a 30mm spindle...not enough room. English BB with 24mm spindle is OK.

Have you been employed as a bike mechanic before? If so, think of your Di2 planning from that mindset and you'll be OK. I've installed batteries in the steerer, the ST and the DT. The steerer is easiest to access but installing it in the DT gave me more room to use other places for other things (like tool storage.) Recently my customer with the DT location bricked the system trying to to an update via iPad and it's a pain to get the battery out because the fork needs to be removed.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New to DI2

Thanks Sean. This helps a lot.

I worked as a mechanic but that was before Di2. I figured I'd hit up a pro-wrench friend of mine up for his thoughts before I start cutting and placing things. I know he's got extensive set-up experience for both DI2 and EPS.

It's good to know that its possible w/out outfitting myself for another BB system.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst