Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy woes...thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Economy woes...thoughts?

Ok, from a framebuilding perspective, how has this economy effected/affected your business? Are you seeing less customer interest?
    The same level of interest but not committing to a purchase...? No difference?

It seems, imho, that the media wants us to believe its worse than it really is... I mean, I know theres a lot of folks losing their jobs, but are they all our customer base...?

opinions?

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey,

i'm thinking since this is your livelihood in the bread and butter sense.. that discussing this one aspect o' da business in a semi-public format where we all can see... might do harm...
    this might be more fodder for discussin' where the kids can't hear and customers can't use this to try to negotiate. i mean, as a fan, i'm fascinated....
    but... maybe this one has too much nipple for the prime time slot?

am i paranoid?
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Operators are standing by!
    Sale! Sale! Sale!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

It's fine by me.
    I am excited for the "financial meltdown" and have been preparing for it my whole adult life. At Spooky we make bikes that are both cheaper and better than the more-expensive Asian-based competitors.
    I re-launched the company knowing that that things like credit were starting to get tight, and that there would be instability in the world economy. Preaching that from day one has garnered us a great financial support network, and the ability to leverage our independence from banks and financial institutions.

Plenty of people still have money, they just don't know where to stick it...
    Everyone is going to keep racing bikes. I want to make the bikes they desire and can afford.

Now if oil prices would start going back up.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post

AMEN.
    Had the best October in 14 years of history this past year from $4.00+ gas prices. The second prices dropped we went back to normal or even lower thanks to the cold as shit winter and the economic times (fiction or non-fiction).

As for Don's question i think most of the people that frequent this list are sold through what hopefully will be the worst of the worst. Not as hard when you are not waiting for work but mostly looking for more time so it does not get backed up.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
    Ok, from a framebuilding perspective, how has this economy effected/affected your business? Are you seeing less customer interest?
    The same level of interest but not committing to a purchase...? No difference?

It seems, imho, that the media wants us to believe its worse than it really is... I mean, I know theres a lot of folks losing their jobs, but are they all our customer base...?

opinions?

DW

you can ask these questions but should also answer them atmo.
    signed,
    interested in chester.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default out of the bad comes good

for me at least and for the time being.
    the exchange rates are helping keep me busy at my down under work bench

http://www.x-rates.com/

For how long, who knows.
    The western world lived on a level of comsumption that was too high boosted by marketing and the credit to feed the unrealistic levels of growth. It was never going to be sustainable as it was not tangible.
    The extreme credit availablity had to end and the markets and production have to rearrange to the now.
    The aweful thing is the pain this is causing to people.
    We all gear up for the good time and best seasons, and the pain and cries of ............ when it reverses or dips a shade.

We have to think of how we deal with this and move forward.

Well that is my take on it.

As long as I have work in the queue, keep on toiling listening to Aussie Radio National

Cheers Dazza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    you can ask these questions but should also answer them atmo.
    signed,
    interested in chester.
    I have no problem answering them.

I am the new kid in town. I didnt expect a ton of biz anyhow, but its been slower than I thought it would be. Its ok, the contacts I am now making are valuable and I hope that things will pick up, despite the sad economic times.

In fact, I think I will do better here than I ever did in Texas. Maybe not as well as I did in the early 90s in Ca. but still pretty good.

I thinbk first and foremost, I am better off with this location. I think a lot of it has to do with being in the public's eye and not hidden in my garage...

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem answering them.

I am the new kid in town. I didnt expect a ton of biz anyhow, but its been slower than I thought it would be. Its ok, the contacts I am now making are valuable and I hope that things will pick up, despite the sad economic times.

In fact, I think I will do better here than I ever did in Texas. Maybe not as well as I did in the early 90s in Ca. but still pretty good.

I thinbk first and foremost, I am better off with this location. I think a lot of it has to do with being in the public's eye and not hidden in my garage...

DW

so you are replying from the point of view of a retailer, not a framebuilder
    atmo. the move to indy as well as the project you undertook to bring almost
    three separate entities under one roof will surely spread you thinner. if you
    stripped away the nahbs office and the retail operation and just discussed
    the frame market, how would that conversation go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post

+1
    Cheap oil is stalling the domestic alternative energy development. A lot of natural gas, wind power, and hydro-electric projects have been put on hold due to falling oil prices. I'm not being totaly altruistic here, I sell construction equipment that is specific to the utility market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so you are replying from the point of view of a retailer, not a framebuilder
    atmo. the move to indy as well as the project you undertook to bring almost
    three separate entities under one roof will surely spread you thinner. if you
    stripped away the nahbs office and the retail operation and just discussed
    the frame market, how would that conversation go?
    i would say the same thing. i think i made the right move. Its just getting the word out.

What about you?

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say the same thing. i think i made the right move. Its just getting the word out.

What about you?

DW
    what about me? i think these are great time to have a unique product and
    business model, and i have always believed in small, bare-bones operations.
    i never thought we lived in the BRAIN world. framebuilding is not retail, per se.
    i also believe that one should never air out business issues in public (i am not
    suggesting you are, or that this is). to address it conceptually is about as far
    as i prefer to go. after that, what you say/post could possibly be your trump
    card. and if you show it, it becomes everyone's atmo. that last one was a
    freebie from me to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what about me? i think these are great time to have a unique product and
    business model, and i have always believed in small, bare-bones operations.
    i never thought we lived in the BRAIN world. framebuilding is not retail, per se.
    i also believe that one should never air out business issues in public (i am not
    suggesting you are, or that this is). to address it conceptually is about as far
    as i prefer to go. after that, what you say/post could possibly be your trump
    card. and if you show it, it becomes everyone's atmo. that last one was a
    freebie from me to you.
    I wasnt trying to air anything out. i was simply asking questions among my peers that if this economy has/is effecting them, and see if the trend continues.

I could easily say that if 75% of them said "yes" its hurting their business, then I know whats in store for the rest of us as a whole. I am just trying to forecast the trends of the market is all...

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasnt trying to air anything out. i was simply asking questions among my peers that if this economy has/is effecting them, and see if the trend continues.

I could easily say that if 75% of them said "yes" its hurting their business, then I know whats in store for the rest of us as a whole. I am just trying to forecast the trends of the market is all...

DW
    i think you have to define what's meant by "my peers". would you ask four to
    get three that confirmed the trend, or twenty to get fifteen confirmations?
    let's hear about the numbers and what kind of stories come with them. mebbe
    we can solve someone's problems or make constructive suggestions. no names
    needed atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the risk of answering out of turn here goes. I'm in the bicycle industry as a coach and fitting services. Nope it's not framebuilding which you asked however it is in my world very nearly the same....a personal service.

When the news became front page fodder there was an immediate trimming back of work. My coaching clients dropped by nearly 1/3 and fitting services was unaffected. Less than one yr. later and I'm back to normal...client inquiry, new folks and steady clients remain.

I blame recession and my hard work for this fairly rosey outcome. Seriously, for folks who have jobs goods and services are not more expensive by and large they are less sometimes dramatically less. Goods and services does not include handmade bicycle as far as I'm concerned. Do YOU see fine art on sale??? Thought not ;)

When some modicum of confidence returns you'll likely see a spending spree from folks who have cut back and who are doing something really crazy...saving $$$s and living within their means possibly for the first time...because of the front page news that we are in bad times.

Gotta roll with the punches Hoss, personal services are not the same as selling pens and paper. When times are tough, remember you are a special rarified dewd. Pens and paper grow on trees, yo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

. I am just trying to forecast the trends of the market is all...

DW
    I'm a retailer, not a builder... so I don't know much. But forecasting is hard, and experiences will vary greatly.
    It's not possible to see the future beyond a certain point. If it could be done, do something that pays more!

I think the REAL challenge for framebuilders today, without the big waiting queues, will be not to mess up their gig for the future.
    They'll need to make smart decisions now, for when things get better again. Who will be in a position
    to pick up the pieces? If a builder does harm to their image, is their "brand" going to be where the customers
    are going to spend the money in a few years?

If I were in their position, I'd take another job before I hurt my investment in myself. It's going to be hard,
    but to do "anything" to keep selling frames you don't want to make, and to not make any money is just bad.
    The smart ones will be ok because they likely have some other training, or other interests that might be
    able to help them out now.

Focus on the basics.

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    It's going to be hard,
    but to do "anything" to keep selling frames you don't want to make, and to not make any money is just bad.

-g

brilliant atmo.
    should be a nahbs, framelist, and eff forum sticky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am doing well. i have allot of work lined up. orders are coming in. i flat-out own everything in my shop, including the shop. i have never owned a CC. i am a tiny spec in the bike world. so, my view is admittedly myopic. i am ahead of my delivery time by a few months, so pressure on me is low. clients are happy. i'm stoked for summer. steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW
    Not necessarily. If you are good enough (and I am not just talking building frames) you will succeed. I've said a few times that all business owners, framebuilders in particular, should take some sales training. This suggestion has fallen on deaf ears in the past and I have even been criticized for it in private email responses. I think it is a wise investment.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Not necessarily. If you are good enough (and I am not just talking building frames) you will succeed. I've said a few times that all business owners, framebuilders in particular, should take some sales training. This suggestion has fallen on deaf ears in the past and I have even been criticized for it in private email responses. I think it is a wise investment.
    Dear Zank. I hereby agree to be head of you marketing department. I will now be your biggest cheerleader. Please remit one cross frame to me and your sales will double instantly.

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast