User Tag List

Thread: School me on RX Cycling Glasses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default School me on RX Cycling Glasses

For years, I have worn readers when I have to see something on the computer or a printed page. Haven't worn glasses for distance.

Long backstory....

So, I have "reader" cycling glasses with interchangeable lenses...clear and a very light red. "Rydons" from Rudy Project. (I have not been a fan of the Oakley arms when I shopped last). Non polarized. Basically a 2.5 reader on the bottom and no adjustment on the top. They work well enough although I have noticed that more and more I have to really enlarge an area on the Garmin when I do one of those just ride and then look at the computer to tell me how to get home. I also noticed that my Duane Reade readers are not so good when messing with small parts.

I also realized that it had been forever since I got my eyes checked.

Ended up going to an optician to get an eye exam. She said that I was borderline for having to legally need glasses for driving but that "I'm an optician so I think everybody should have as close to perfect sight at all times" and "you will feel more comfortable driving with them".

So, I need glasses for distance now...sort of. And she said that the 2.5 readers were way not enough and I need 3.75 or 4.0.

And, of course, I ended up spending what felt like the gross national product of a small nation on regular prescription glasses. I got one pair that is progressive and one pair that is just for reading/ computer.

She was right, I really like using the progressive glasses when driving and even just walking around. They are, however, an acquired taste when looking at something up close because you sort of have to look down without bending your head which I am not used to yet (at least when off bike. I am thinking this might not be a problem on a bike)

What I am wondering...

Should I get progressive RX cycling glasses?

Should I get bifocal RX cycling glasses?

Should I just stick with the idea of no RX on the top and RX readers bifocal on bottom?

Any suggestions on brands you like?

I messed around on SportRX and Rudy and it seems the ability to get frames with interchangeable lenses is limited. Since this will be another crazy amount of money would you go a single color lens/ frame combo and if so which color is best for varied light conditions in your experience?

Anything else you think I should consider?

Thanks for any learnings you can impart!
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: School me on RX Cycling Glasses

I can't help with what you should do regarding progressives, bifocals, etc.

I do know that you can get an RX insert for Rudy Rydons. They sell it as a standalone piece, that you can add to your existing glasses. It's independent from the tinted lenses. I don't know if you can put progressive lenses in that insert though.

Good luck!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A number of the Oakley frames will allow you to swap lenses. I have the Half Jackets with the black iridium polarized lenses and everything is crystal-clear and sharp. I've not felt the need for any other lenses. While my regular glasses are progressive, my Half Jackets are just single prescription; I don't need to see stuff up close(within a foot or so) while riding. Oakley does excellent work with their optics; I'm sure they can do progressives if that is want you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went from single vision to progressives in my Rudy Project Horus frames and have been happy with the results. I also went with the brown Transitions option and have liked that as well. I did it through SportRX where I got the Rudy's a number of years ago and had them do the progressives with the Transitions option a year or so ago. SportRX is great to work with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sports Optical. I think I first learned of them here from happycampyer. I have Rx for distance and reading. You need both, I think, when cycling because you have to be able to see street signs and read a map/GPS. I wasn't into carrying two sets of glasses and when I spoke with Sports Optical they suggested progressives. I have a set of Rudy Rydons with a middle of the road tint and could not be happier. Service is top notch and significantly less expensive than what my local optician was willing to do with Oakleys. Progressive take some getting used to but I think they are the best solution for cycling.

I dont think progressives are good for everything. I dabble in a shooting sport and trying to track a moving target with those lenses was making my eyes hurt, so I have a separate pair of glasses with just the distance correction in them. And I'm about to order some inserts for ski goggles and will probably just to the distance Rx there, too.

I didn't go crazy ordering a variety of lens colors, for the reason the OP referred to: it gets expensive really fast. When I need clear lenses, I use an older pair of Oakleys with clear lenses and sacrifice the RX. My RX, thankfully, is not so powerful that I can't see at all.

You can go bankrupt buying glasses if you are a sportsman, particularly if you go to a Luxotic controlled brick and mortar shop. My last trip to the eyeglass store set me back nearly $2k for reading, driving and sunglasses. Never again. I get all my eyeware from Warby Parker or places like Sports Optical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@htwoopup, prescription sunglass lenses set into Rudy Project frames are great.
    My preference is for non-polarized (to still see glare) in a vermilion/red for flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now have progressive lenses for everyday glasses, but I’ve kept distance-only RX for my Rudys (clear and tinted lenses so I can swap) and this works well for me. I don’t, however, use a garmin or other bar mounted screen. I’m learning how to use progressives, but on the bike I prefer to turn my head and look.