I am new to structured training. Throughout my 20’s and early 30’s, I could just go ride big miles, high volume... and could hang on, no problem. I race endurance type stuff on the MTB periodically, no road racing, but do ride road for training. I have a smart trainer and a power meter on the road bike. Several years ago I put some effort into learning power zones on the road bike with a focus on being faster overall.

I took about 22 months off road riding after a friend was seriously injured in a car/bike accident. Long story. Anyway, I am back on the road now, looking to regain prior fitness levels.

I see lots of development in the last 3-4 years in trainers, available apps, & training plans. Right now, I just use Zwift to run the trainer, and periodically I will go through their power-based ERG mode workouts, so I know that drill. I use Strava to track rides/efforts, just because it’s what everybody else uses.

I am looking into something more structured, with better data analysis tools. I am an engineer by trade, most would call me a very analytical, data-driven person. So I am looking to apply that methodology to training.

It looks like Strava Premium has some analysis tools. Zwift has some power based workouts. The others I see are Training Peaks, and TrainerRoad. Also Sufferfest. There is relatively minor cost incurred with each of them, it’s low enough that it isn’t really a concern with me. I don’t think I can justify the ~$300/mo for a coach to work with me personally, it makes more sense to me to get a basic training plan and go with it, and do my own analysis, at a cost of ~$20/mo.

Moral of the story: I am considering switching to Training Peaks for data analysis, and subscribing to TrainerRoad for workout planning. I guess the biggest reason for TrainerRoad is because a friend turned me on to their podcast and those guys seem fairly knowledgeable.

I am looking for a confirmation that these two pieces of software/workouts are a decent plan, and there are no obvious alternatives that I am missing? I am also going to work with a nutritionist on a meal plan, that is available for free at my place of work, and the nutritionist is a tri athlete and “gets it.” So I think I am covered from that aspect.

Thoughts? TIA

-Drew