Thread: Dishwasher Help Needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dishwasher Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    For you guys with Miele and Bosch dishwashers, I read somewhere that the Euro models are so quiet because they use hard food filters instead of a mini garbage disposal. If that's the case, what's your experience with the filters been? I'm concerned they could get clogged and cause a backup.
    This I don't know. I can tell you a key difference between the two is that Miele is a family owned business and they make most of their own parts. Dishwashers is what made them famous. It was always my perception that reliability was better. My mom had Bosch appliances and I was never that impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you guys with Miele and Bosch dishwashers, I read somewhere that the Euro models are so quiet because they use hard food filters instead of a mini garbage disposal. If that's the case, what's your experience with the filters been? I'm concerned they could get clogged and cause a backup.
    We have a Bosch and have had no problems with the filter.

Caveat: I'm a bit precious about cleanliness so I remove and clean the filter every time the dishwasher is used. The Bosch design makes that very easy, unlike the dishwasher we had before (Simpson, an Australian brand. Utter crap). Reach in, half twist, pull the filter from the housing, rinse the housing and filter, snap the filter back in, replace the housing and half twist to lock (there are helpful arrows indicating the required placement).
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any longer-term thoughts about the Miele?

We need an 18-incher, and the major options seem to be Miele, Bosch, Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire.

It'll get used pretty much every day, so quality, reliability, and design are important.
    I have had two positive experiences with Siemens 18 inch dishwashers, which I only bought because I could not find an 18 inch Miele dishwasher. The first one was problem free for 10 years until I sold the house where it was installed. The second has been in continuous use and working well for seven years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I no longer own it because I sold the house, but I bought a Miele dishwasher when I built the house in 2008 (sold house in 2018) and the dishwasher was one of the best purchase for problem free I have ever made (I had a good collection of stuff in that house that I was also happy with...Thermador cooktop and ovens, LG front load washer and dryer.) On a related note, the Liebherr fridge I had in the NYC apartment was crap and the Miele fridge I bought to replace it is fantastic (although that is not as long term a review). Interestingly, the two fridges are made in the same factory for two different family owned companies but to different designs/ specs/ whatever’s as I understand it.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    We have a Bosch and have had no problems with the filter.

Caveat: I'm a bit precious about cleanliness so I remove and clean the filter every time the dishwasher is used. The Bosch design makes that very easy, unlike the dishwasher we had before (Simpson, an Australian brand. Utter crap). Reach in, half twist, pull the filter from the housing, rinse the housing and filter, snap the filter back in, replace the housing and half twist to lock (there are helpful arrows indicating the required placement).
    Now i can say I know someone who does that! That is the sort of thing that gets done in our house when the appliance stops working. So yeah that sort of thing gets looked at regularly...every five years or so!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All appliances suck these days, it's done that way so they can keep taking money out of your pocket and put in theirs.

My 4 year Samsung washer bit the dust, they wanted $600 to fix it, no way, so I bought a Speed Queen it's only 6 months old and so far so good. Samjunk had recall on those washers, and they fixed the recall back about 6 months after I bought it, then about a year and 2 or 3 months after purchase it had to be fixed to the tune of $145 for failed pulley, then the major one happened.

We bought a Samjunk refrigerator at the same time, a dutch door unit, it freezes up, I have to manually defrost it about every 3 to 4 months, there's a class action lawsuit against Samjunk that's been dragging it's feet for the last 3 years and nothing yet. But I'm going to keep defrosting it because Samjunk knows if they drag their feet long enough people will throw out their fridges and buy new ones which means Samjunk is off the hook for replacing it. This is a major class action lawsuit, it involves ALL of their fridges made from about 2013 to at least 2018, that would wipe out Samjunk if this suit gets settled soon.

At the same time I bought a Samjunk dryer, it's been repaired once as well not under warranty.

What pisses me off is that I scoured the internet before I made those purchases and they all said that Samjunk had the best reliability, they still say that today all the while there is a class action lawsuit for the fridges and the washers have one as well that is separate from the recall.

I also have a Bosch dishwasher and glass stove top, those have been working fine without a hiccup...so far.

Some of you have said you had trouble with Bosch, but for the most part them and Meile make the best dishwashers on the market, and Kitchenaid and Maytag are the least, which at one time back in the 60's through the 80's Kitchenaid and Maytag were the best. Speed Queen makes the best washers and dryers; and for refrigerators Bosch and Whirlpool get the top nods for French or Dutch door units. One thing for sure, I will never buy another Samjunk product.

I say one more thing, if this Speed Queen does not last the average of 25 years they claim, and only makes it 5 or so years I will never pay more than $400 for another washer and dryer ever again; just buy the cheapest piece of crap I can find and replace it instead of replacing with another $900 plus washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    ...just buy the cheapest piece of crap I can find and replace it instead of replacing with another $900 plus washer.
    Or find a $900+ dishwasher on EBAY for $70. Buy rich people's cast offs.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Brother in Law is a builder, his stock in trade is redoing kitchens and bathrooms. At least once a year he will redo a kitchen that is less than 2 years old, often for people who bought the house with this intention. Rarely do the "old" appliances get used in the new kitchen, more often he is paid to remove and dispose of them. Our place in Beechworth was planned as a dual occupancy, we have more than enough cast off appliances for both kitchens.

I think this is all symtomatic of Australia'a crazy house values. If you just paid more than a million for a weatherboard in Yarraville, what's a few thousand for new appliances?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Some of you have said you had trouble with Bosch, but for the most part them and Meile make the best dishwashers on the market,
    My understanding is that Bosch did have some lemon years.......around 2010ish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    edit

My understanding is that Bosch did have some lemon years.......around 2010ish.
    I tried to buy the Miele, but after multiple phone and email back-and-forths with the salesman and a product rep from Miele, I wasn't confident anyone really knew what was what with the 18" model. Turns out it only comes in a "panel" version (oh, how precious), and the proper stainless steel panel to cover the front may or may not still exist and would definitely cost an extra $300. Life is too short to spend it going down these sorts of rabbit holes.

Lowes had the Bosch 800 on sale with a delivery date of 9/20. Click and done.

I do appreciate the logic of buying the cheap ones and treating them like they're disposable, which I could easily see doing if this Bosch doesn't live up to its billing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do appreciate the logic of buying the cheap ones and treating them like they're disposable, which I could easily see doing if this Bosch doesn't live up to its billing.
    I'm just really pissed at the quality of stuff being made today. It's almost to the point that it isn't worth blowing a wad of cash on something nice to have it last less than 20 years. Geez, I bought a Maytag washer and dryer back in 1982, that think never had any service work on it till 2016 when it failed and the parts were no longer available, that's over 30 years that set lasted, now Maytag is basically a junk product along with a slew of other once high-quality brands. I know that at one time in the 70's the average life of a major appliance was 25 years, today it's 12, and some products won't last that long. And those products in the 70's that lasted that long were NOT the top of the line models, just your middle price units. If my $800 Bosch dies, or the $1100 Speed Queen dies, or my $2,400 Samjunk fridge dies (it's already giving me hassles), all prematurely, that's it, I will only buy the cheapest thing I can find. It simply is not worth spending an average of $1,400 for an appliance and have it last only 4 to 10 years. If I pay an average of say $500 for an appliance and it lasts 4 or 5 years I'm ahead of the game over the long haul.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just really pissed at the quality of stuff being made today. It's almost to the point that it isn't worth blowing a wad of cash on something nice to have it last less than 20 years. Geez, I bought a Maytag washer and dryer back in 1982, that think never had any service work on it till 2016 when it failed and the parts were no longer available, that's over 30 years that set lasted, now Maytag is basically a junk product along with a slew of other once high-quality brands. I know that at one time in the 70's the average life of a major appliance was 25 years, today it's 12, and some products won't last that long. And those products in the 70's that lasted that long were NOT the top of the line models, just your middle price units. If my $800 Bosch dies, or the $1100 Speed Queen dies, or my $2,400 Samjunk fridge dies (it's already giving me hassles), all prematurely, that's it, I will only buy the cheapest thing I can find. It simply is not worth spending an average of $1,400 for an appliance and have it last only 4 to 10 years. If I pay an average of say $500 for an appliance and it lasts 4 or 5 years I'm ahead of the game over the long haul.
    Our realtor mentioned to us that the average time for owning a given home here is seven years. Unless people are planning to take their appliances with them (it seems that most don't), the incentives are probably aligned with buying appliances that will last ten years or so. As long as they're working when the house gets sold, the seller doesn't care.

BTW, I've always taken the junker approach with gas grills, and I've never regretted it. I buy a grill on the spring sale at a big box store for $150 or less. I never put a cover on it. They still last four or five years of year-round use and outdoor storage before all the guts are shot and the scraper finds a goldmine in my alley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I've always taken the junker approach with gas grills, and I've never regretted it. I buy a grill on the spring sale at a big box store for $150 or less. I never put a cover on it. They still last four or five years of year-round use and outdoor storage before all the guts are shot and the scraper finds a goldmine in my alley.
    I just did maintenance on our 15+ year old TEC infrared grill. The grill was not cheap.....it is made in SC, USA and is built with superior ss sheet metal and ss hardware. Spent about $300 on parts earlier this year. Once I completed the work the grill fired right up.

To me TEC grills = Campagnolo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    This I don't know. I can tell you a key difference between the two is that Miele is a family owned business and they make most of their own parts. Dishwashers is what made them famous. It was always my perception that reliability was better. My mom had Bosch appliances and I was never that impressed.
    Actually Bosch home appliances are owned entirely 100% by Robert BOSCH as a company under limited liability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Bosch dishwasher I bought in August? Still hasn't showed up yet. Latest ETA is early November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Bosch dishwasher I bought in August? Still hasn't showed up yet. Latest ETA is early November.
    We purchased ours off the showroom floor. I understand that the Bosch factory is near New Bern, NC. Many factories slowed down when C19 hit. No one anticipated that demand would increase dramatically (some manufacturers had record sales this summer) so it took time to ratchet up their supply chain and production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Bosch home appliances are owned entirely 100% by Robert BOSCH as a company under limited liability.
    Although Miele and Bosch are German, the similarities stop there. Bosch is a huge industrial company, whereas Miele is family-owned.

This mentality is evident in their prices and products. Miele designed and manufactured all the working parts of their dishwashers in Germany except the rollers for the racks.

Bosch manufactures their dishwashers in the US in North Carolina. They outsource parts throughout their organizations' supply chain.

As you will see, the middle part of the Bosch line is at $899 versus entry-level for Miele. This will affect almost everything, from quietness to features.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bosch...99-dishwashers

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Although Miele and Bosch are German, the similarities stop there. Bosch is a huge industrial company, whereas Miele is family-owned.

This mentality is evident in their prices and products. Miele designed and manufactured all the working parts of their dishwashers in Germany except the rollers for the racks.

Bosch manufactures their dishwashers in the US in North Carolina. They outsource parts throughout their organizations' supply chain.

As you will see, the middle part of the Bosch line is at $899 versus entry-level for Miele. This will affect almost everything, from quietness to features.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bosch...99-dishwashers

-Mike G
    I guess you didn't get the connection...ROBERT BOSCH, is the original family member of BOSCH, he owns it, therefore it is a family-owned company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you didn't get the connection...ROBERT BOSCH, is the original family member of BOSCH, he owns it, therefore it is a family-owned company.
    I think more correctly the company is privately owned, but whatever, the family still owns 8% of the company. However, the corporate organization and ownership is admittedly unusual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...porate_affairs
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think more correctly the company is privately owned, but whatever, the family still owns 8% of the company. However, the corporate organization and ownership is admittedly unusual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...porate_affairs
    %

No, no, no, that's not true, the family now owns it 100%: https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers...owned-by-bosch

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast