Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher Help Needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dishwasher Help Needed

there's the issue too of efficiency, as in the modern units (and the same applies to laundry washing machines) all use less water and energy per cycle, and guess what? it takes energy and water to do the job.... I need to knock on wood, since my kitchenaid dw as been pretty good, but it also dates from the previous owners so at least 10 years old.... crossing fingers.

good luck with the repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as of today's visit the repair person backed off his initial "water is too cold" position and installed a new main pump unit. Says the pump was failing intermittently (leading to it not sending any water two weeks ago), not sending water into the cabinet. Since there was no water sensed---or not the proper amount--the heater wasn't turning on. So I have a new pump. Let's see how long this lasts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I think with product brands one brand may excel in fridges (for example) and fail at all the other appliances, I've been discovering this! The days of going with all one brand in a kitchen is gone, you have to do your research, but be careful because the internet is full of crap, I still find to this day that Samsung makes the best refrigerators and it's not true as evidenced by the class action lawsuit: Looking for Updates on the Samsung Ice Maker Lawsuit? Here’s Everything We Know. Samsung Ice Maker Lawsuits | Freezing Up Problems | ClassAction.org and now there is a class action lawsuit with Samsung washers: Samsung washing machine lawsuit over exploding Samsung washers Samsung I believe is the worst manufacture on the planet!! I will never buy another Samsung product, even their much bragged about TV's have issues Consumer Complaints Spur Samsung TV Class Action Lawsuit Investigation Samsung has issues that goes through their entire line of crap, and people have complained that even when an issue occurs while under warranty Samsung drags their feet. Why this schit isn't getting huge public attention is anyone's guess.

Now that I got that off my chest, I went with Bosch dishwasher because at the time the model I got had the best reliability record, the same was true with the Bosch glass top stove, and so far in 3 years there's been zero problems, but I heard that Bosch fridges and wall ovens are not that great, yet Miele makes a great wall oven, while Amana and Whirlpool make the best fridges, and Speed Queen makes the best laundry machines. These things change over time as well, for 5 years or so a certain brand will be really good at one product then suddenly they start making junk! For some reason Toshiba for many many years has made the best tabletop microwave ovens, we had one that lasted 20 years in our house and another 15 years in my daughter's house; while GE makes the best over the range microwave. In today's world you really have to do your homework before buying an appliance and don't stick to all one brand, and Consumer Reports has not been very accurate since Ralph Nader left the organization, CR still says that Samsung is the best manufacturer for appliances yet they completely ignore all the class action lawsuits going on with them!!! Crazy, simply crazy. Your homework should include calling independent repair businesses and asking them who makes the most reliable product, while that's no guarantee they'll be 100% correct because you could buy a lemon, but if you call enough repair places and you get a consistent answer chances are it will be good. If you live in a small town and you don't have any local repair shops, you have a phone, find a couple in a large city nearest to you and call those. Most repair people will be honest because they feel the frustration that consumers feel because like the consumer they to have to buy appliances for their homes and they don't want issues either.

Sorry if I seem like I go on too far with this stuff but after spending $2,800 for a fridge, $1,800 for a washer and dryer and to have the problems I've had with the Samsung crap, and hear about other brands having reliability issues it gets very frustrating to spend money like that and have issues like we're having.
    you may be correct. miele has expertise in dishwashers but shares production with bosch on refrigerators

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    i had something similar with a kitchen aide dishwasher. after 8 years i simply said good by kitchen aide and bought a miele. not that its a consolation but dishwashers are a relatively cheaper appliance. you might wind up spending more money on repairs. i'd go with sunk cost theory and move on.

my kitchen aide worked ok in the beginning but much happier with the miele.
    Any longer-term thoughts about the Miele?

We need an 18-incher, and the major options seem to be Miele, Bosch, Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire.

It'll get used pretty much every day, so quality, reliability, and design are important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

've got a Bosch, maybe 1 yr old, and haven't had any issues and no complaints. Very quiet, cleans the dishes well, and looks good. Highly recommend using a rinse aid (Seventh Generation). Without it, the dishes never really dried. All the higher end units don't have a heat coil and rely on condensation on the steel wall. This works great on metal and glass dishes, but does leave plastic bowls, cups, etc, a little wet.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

We need an 18-incher, and the major options seem to be Miele, Bosch, Whirlpool, GE, and Frigidaire.

It'll get used pretty much every day, so quality, reliability, and design are important.
    I like our Bosch. Especially because I can get all the parts for it at http://www.appliancepartspros.com and similar online outlets. It came with our apartment, so it had some issues as a result of a departing four year old demon child who lived there before us. Replaced a hinge and the handle plus a couple thread inserts that were stripped. Beyond that, nothing. Load and go.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all the respondents of this thread.
    I now know that I'm not the only skeptic of dishwasher technology.
    I find myself washing more and more by hand.

Ever seen the movie "Brazil"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Miele is still going strong. No better dishwasher. My Kitchenaid a high end model was good in the beginning but no where in the league of Miele. Not one repair unless you count the screws holding the unit in place coming loose last year but that's not really dishwasher operation. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Kitchenaid is now a cabinet. I wash by hand.

We bought a house with a 26 year old clothes dryer. I fixed it when it broke. We had a fifty year old refrigerator that belonged to my grandmother-in-law that worked like a champ. The new GE needed a new motherboard in its first year.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my 10 year old Hi-E washer died,
    replaced it with a Speed Queen.
    Looks like a laundromat unit, delivered by Tardis from 1960.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    replaced it with a Speed Queen.
    How does the your Speed Queen perform? Reports indicate that reliability is good but cleaning performance not so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    When my 10 year old Hi-E washer died, ......
    Wow, Hi-E made washers?
    I though they just made hubs.
    I have some in the attic.

Sorry to have distracted from this very good thread.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    My Miele is still going strong. No better dishwasher. My Kitchenaid a high end model was good in the beginning but no where in the league of Miele. Not one repair unless you count the screws holding the unit in place coming loose last year but that's not really dishwasher operation. -Mike G
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I like our Bosch. Especially because I can get all the parts for it at http://www.appliancepartspros.com and similar online outlets. It came with our apartment, so it had some issues as a result of a departing four year old demon child who lived there before us. Replaced a hinge and the handle plus a couple thread inserts that were stripped. Beyond that, nothing. Load and go.
    For you guys with Miele and Bosch dishwashers, I read somewhere that the Euro models are so quiet because they use hard food filters instead of a mini garbage disposal. If that's the case, what's your experience with the filters been? I'm concerned they could get clogged and cause a backup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    How does the your Speed Queen perform? Reports indicate that reliability is good but cleaning performance not so much.
    I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer set last winter. No complaints here. Front loader. I leave it open between uses to keep it dry and to prevent mold.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a Bosch dishwasher in our house in Maryland...17 years old and worked just fine when we sold it 4 years ago. We regularly cleaned out the screen and every third or so removal gave the assembly a good soaking.

We recently replaced a Kitchenaid (only 6 years old) with a Bosch Benchmark. This post reminds me that I need to check out this units cleaning requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I bought a Speed Queen washer and dryer set last winter. No complaints here. Front loader. I leave it open between uses to keep it dry and to prevent mold.
    I have a top loader, washer with agitator, cleans well.
    I did get the digital controls, so it is smart about water levels.

Retrogrouch washer with Di2 controls.
    I have their dryer now too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since starting this thread way back when, my machine has been mostly ok. I say "mostly" because it gets a real work out now that my kids dont go to school. Some days during the height of lockdown it ran three times a day (my wife likes to use every pot and plate to make a meal!). In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that the dishes dont come out sparkling clean on a consistent basis. I still think that appliances today are not made to work long and hard.

I did replace the oil burner during the pandemic, so at least no one can tell me it's the water temperature!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Bosch dishwashers are backordered until at least early November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you guys with Miele and Bosch dishwashers, I read somewhere that the Euro models are so quiet because they use hard food filters instead of a mini garbage disposal. If that's the case, what's your experience with the filters been? I'm concerned they could get clogged and cause a backup.
    I think we pretty much rinse everything that goes in the dishwasher, so not many chunks going in. But there is a filter in the bottom of the dishwasher. That’s where the measuring spoons end up sometimes when they aren’t put in a lidded compartment. Very light. Every once in a while there is stuff in there but not often. I do check it compulsively though. Also, we’re vegetarians and don’t eat any fried foods, so we might not be a good test sample.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    We bought one early this spring. Cleaning's great as far as I can tell. I get things pretty dirty. It and our new Gravely 48" lawnmower are really our domestic luxuries.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast