User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Five Dream Cars Christmas game...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Your Five Dream Cars Christmas game...

i have my Dad here through tuesday. it's been really nice. Kitty made a rack of lamb last night for us and we just hung out today and did a lot of nothing.

we did however play a "pick your five dream cars" game after watching youtube video and i figured i'd share our results and throw it out here:

the rules are that these cars can't be investments- you need to keep them forever and they are the only cars you are allowed to have. You can't sell them, replace them, upgrade them, or even paint them. you have free maintenance for life though and don't worry about not being able to find parts or anything like that. If you care about what people think about you or what owning or driving a particular automobile says about you or makes you feel- of course you can take that in to account. If you don't want to pollute- or you like being able to park in small spots on the street- have that influence your choices. We didn't let chance of theft or any other financial issue play into our decisions though as a rule.

They do need to serve all your automotive needs though- so if you drive to work you need something to commute in. If you race or do track days- you'll need to use one of your slots for a tow vehicle or you'll need a street legal race car. oh! and the cars must exist and be legal to drive in the United States. It was A LOT harder that we expected!
    me:

2018 RUF CTR (if i could only have one car in the world this would be it. the Ruf Yellow Bird was the most amazing thing in the world to me- and this is the modern rendition and it looks even better than the old one.)

any year De Tomaso Pantera (this is the car that i've always identified with. i have pictures of it cut up an on my wall when i was four or five and always wanted on. from the age of four util about 16 i thought i was going to be a car designer when i grew up and Ferry Porsche and Alejandro de Tomaso were my heroes and the guys I somehow picked out from all car people to learn everything about...i actually wrote them both letters in third grade. Mr. Tomaso wrote back. I love these cars and it's actually pretty depressing that they're basically out of reach to own. i've always been intrigued and inspired by this car and what it was. it lacked the storied pretension of a Ferrari Daytona or the totality of concept of the Countach. The thing used a Ford Cleveland for Christ's sake, but they were beautiful and could be built up into personalized sports cars or dedicated track cars. if i ever come across one with good bones that i can afford- i will pick it up and shove the engine and transmission from my GT500 in it.)

2015 Bentley Continental GT3-R (This is the car that would serve as the daily driver I guess. I've always loved the idea of a Bentley- a big refined british bruiser. one of my dream cars as a kid was Bentley Turbo R from the '80s. Not sure why they appeal to me- because they have nothing to do with my taste in anything else- but these things are actually really- really cool. It's funny but it was really hard to decide between this and a Dodge Demon/Hellcat. They are actually very similar cars in a way. They're both big fat super overpowered two door cars that handle far better than they ever should and are stupid fast and have wonderful engines.)

1986 Ferrari F40 (As a kid i certainly fell into the 959 camp when it came to the debate between the F40 and that Porsche. Now though- there's no contest. The ultimate visceral analog handmade bad ass super car has aged so much better than the technological marvel of 1986 that was the 959. Sorry Porsche- but a 959 is kind of meh- an F40 is throat punch that still kills 30 years later. Plus I needed a Ferrari and a gated transmission on this list right?)

Some bad ass barely street legal two wheel drive Pre-Runner Trophy Truck thing that I could use whenever I need to haul stuff around and to go play in the deset. I imagine I'd want something that has all the suspension in the world and uses a Ford Aluminator engine. We'd have it tubbed but with comfortable seats- and it'd be two wheel drive because I live in So-Cal and Baja racing and jumping around in the dirt doesn't need four wheel drive. I guess I'd like the body to look like either a Ranger to match the engine or maybe a Tacoma. I'd probably want a DSG transmission with paddles- I think the new 10 speed thing Ford is using can hook up well enough to their Crate engines. I'd want it to look kind of mad maxey- have a useable bed to lug everything from bikes to furniture- and to be totally capable of driving the OG Paris-Dakar course and get major air over giant sand dune jumps. I've always had a soft spot for Pre-Runners and the simplicity and lightweight of the two wheeled drive ones always appealed to my contrarian nature that has always favored stripped down uncompromising things that are kinda dumb and impractical but awesome.

Kate:
    2018 Alfa-Romeo 4C Spider (Kate loves this car's looks. Actually she loves every modern Alfa. She also has zero nostalgia for cars and would never want or be interested in an old car. It will need to be yellow or white too.)
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS (She again- really likes the way these look. She wants it "murdered out". I added the GTS part- she honestly doesn't care what engine the thing has.)
    2018 Aston-Martin Vantage (This is one of her new favorite cars. She loves the way it looks and loves their on-line car builder. It sounds absurd- but to her the ability to customize every aspect of the car and the user interface Aston developed is hugely appealing to her. If she could afford it, she says she would buy this car. She also made me promise that if our family could ever afford a $150,000+ car that we get this one. She wants the fluo green color with everything else in matte black)
    2018 Lamborghini Aventador (Kate HATES Ferraris and thinks they are pretentious and for "douche bags" whereas she absolutely loves Lamborghinis. The whole story of their founder getting shunned by Enzo Ferrari and creating an amazing car company as a "fuuuck you" appeals to her- as does the brazen envelope pushing garish style and performance. She'd get one the same color Kanye did- murdered out matte black with black interior.)
    2019 Dodge Hellcat (Nothing makes Kitty happier on the road than when she sees a "special" Challenger. She really loved our ScatPack and she thinks they're the best looking cars on the road. She likes the name and logo of the Hellcat better than the name and logo of the demon. She'd get it in either black or white and she says she wouldn't drive it at first because it is too big- but she'd ride in it and maybe try to learn how to drive it.)

Dad:
    2018 Rolls-Royce Phantom (My Dad has always thought Rolls Royces were the best and this is the best one.)
    2018 Lamborghini Ursus (He says he'd need a truck or an SUV to lug stuff and this one must be pretty good and if cost is no object then.....)
    1986 Porsche 959 (My dad had to deal with me as a kid talking endlessly about this car. In his mind it's the best car ever built and a real classic that he'd love to have and drive on Sunday mornings while laughing at people with "regular" Porsches.)
    1958 Corvette (I don't know where this came from- but my old man really likes this year 'vette. Can't say I blame him. I'm generally not a fan of early Corvettes. The

1963 GrandSport is one of my favorite cars of all time- it almost made my list- but the earlier Vettes seem kinda anemic and small and not all that interesting. But my dad thinks an old convertible vette is the "tits" as he said and he'd like to own one someday. (Which is insane. He's never going to own one. If he really wanted to he could have one now- but this is the guy who got it in his head after shooting the shit with me that the circa 2012 Mustang Boss 302 was the last "real" car- and he's probably right- and came really close to buying one last week. the he got his 2012 Mini (not a John Cooper version- not even an "S" just a base level stipper manual tranny Mini in white) back from the shop- and told me, "nah- I don't need that Mustang. This Mini is the best. It handles perfectly and is the most fun car to drive. Believe me it goes "plenty" fast. My old man is fucking insane.)

1961 Amphicar (You have the choice of any car in the world- and you have to live with that choice for the rest of your life....and you choose a piece of shit car that is also a piece of shit boat. I told you guys my old man was crazy.....but this is absurd. I think he saw something about this car on TV in 1961 and thought it was amazing and still does. I'm sure these things are probably either worth $1500 or $150,000 who knows. But really? an Amphicar?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Your Five Dream Cars Christmas game...

I'm actually in one of my dream cars now. A 2005 bmw 3 series. I love it. But I do have a special place in my heart for the 1965 Corvette, 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible, a 1979 Mazda RX7 and the 82 Toyota Supra. But if I have to be totally honest. I'm way past my car fascination days. So this is all theoretical. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2015 Toyota Prius is a delight. Lots of space, comfortable to drive long distances, great sound system, sips gas (averages near 60 in the warm months, close to 50 in the winter).
    The one thing it doesn't have is sufficient ground clearance to get me into the back country. So I'm saving my pennies for a Toyota Tacoma to convert into an adventure escape vehicle...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-VW Squareback -never been in one but my dad had funny stories about their carbeurators.
    -Quigley 4x4 Econoline
    -Jeep Cherokee XJ, any year, wood panels preferred
    -80s 4Runner w/solid axles, wait scratch that a Land Cruiser, the Jurassic Park kind they only sell in the Global South.
    -90s crew cab F350 7.3L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We live an "urban life" which means not that much room for cars so I am choosing 5 for me and my wife:

2019 Ferrari GTC4 Lusso (my daily driver)
    2019 Maserati GranTurismo (my wife's daily driver - she is not really into cars but wants one of these)
    2019 Range Rover (you need something to get the bikes and skis to the country house on the weekend)
    1985 Ferrari Testarossa (because I was a teenage boy when this came out)
    1967 Ferrari GTB/4 (grail car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on Jerk’s Bentley choice. I’ve also considered that in ultra cool car.

Brand new Porsche 911 Turbo manual. Nuff said.
    Mercedes Benz S Class. The sled for dictators and douchebags all over the world.
    Toyota Land Cruiser. Drove one 30ish years ago and still want one.
    Pontiac GTO 455 manual convertible.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same house (with magically expanded parking), same job, same life, huh?

OK.

So four new cars, because cars keep getting better, never mind what that other thread about keeping shit forever says:

1. 2019 Mercedes Benz AMG E63 wagon, metallic grey over brown. The combination sports sedan, 7-seat wagon, and cross-country cruiser. I could stop here.
    2. 2019 Porsche Cayman GTS, metallic silver over red. For New England country roads.
    3. 2019 Tesla Model 3 Long Range, either black or blue over black. This is the green city car and grocery getter, duh.
    4. 2019 Porsche Macan S, black over black. Because my wife wants an SUV to conquer the frozen snowpiles that accumulate around town during weather. And if I'm spec'ing an SUV it will be a Macan.

And one used:

1. McLaren F1. Sure, why not?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. (DD)1968 Impala SS 2 dr. 427 4 spd. Posi. Bench Seatseats
    Because I learned to drive on the 327 version of that car. The trunk fits 6 bodies or 4 bikes. With simple suspension tweaks it drives really well. Those 427s are insanely great road engines meaning you have miles of torque in any gear and they wrap up fast. Plain "enough" that I'd feel good about just driving the out of it.
    2. (Track/Road Legal) gt3rs weissach If you have to ask....
    3. (DD Grocery Getter) 1969 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon Old Town - 2 Door. Because it's awesome and I can park it anywhere.
    4. (Truck) May g-d not strike me dead for this as a lifetime Chevy guy. Ford is coming out with a 7.3 iron gasser BB. I want that in 3/4 ton 4x4 with nothing extra and a stick shift with a Hi/Lo gear box. Second choice is a 1957 Chevy Apache 4X4 with a HP 396 5spd stick and floor mats thank you very much.
    5. (For Mrs. TT) Volvo 122S Wagon perfectly restored black of course. For that turn of events I would not have to do chores my entire existence.

Ultimately, there are many awesome cars. Few I'd really want to own and drive forever. This is a good game Jerk-mo.

*Hey Zamb >> somebody here has a Quigley 4x4 1 ton Chebby and it is awesome.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-26-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1966 Shelby Cobra Super Snake
    2019 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Wagon
    2019 Ford Raptor
    2019 Jeep Wrangler
    Unicat MDh79

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As it so happens I just asked Josh whether I could list my last dream car here: 2013 Golf R. Too much car for most of what I drive, and I can't put my dogs in it.

My next dream car is a 1969 Lancia Berlina GTE, which is better suited to the life I lead.

But it may just remain a dream regardless.

All my dream cars are Lancias:
    Aurelia B20:
    Flaminia Zagato Sport
    Fulvia Coupe Fanalone
    Aurelia B24 Spider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1965 Pontiac GTO hardtop, Starlight Black, Parchment interior, 4 speed, 389 with 4-barrel (no, not Tripower). My grandfather worked for GM building Pontiacs in Van Nuys and bought one of these for my dad in 1965, which my dad made the mistake of trading in for a convertible Firebird in 1968. The Firebird is also really cool (the designers did a fantastic job on the front end, whereas the Camaro always looked unfinished to me), but still.

1989 Volvo 240DL Wagon. Brother Alex and I grew up in this car. Maybe I'd want one with the turbo since we aren't allotted any future upgrades. Ran like a top and held everything.

1960s 23 window VW Transporter. We're dreaming, right? Gimme the ragtop version in two tone red and white with Safari popout windows and let's go to the beach.

1968 Chevy C10 longbed. Gotta carry sheets of plywood home somehow.

Last, but not least, I would really like a 1951 or '52 split window Beetle. Stock engine is fine - Alameda is flat as a pancake. Ragtop and popout windows please.

Craig: my boss has a white 4c and I know where the keys are. Bueller?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1972 GMC 1500 pickup with rusty speed holes--achieved
    1977 Datsun 280z 5 speed, the very one my parents had as a kid, yellow with race car mods (thanks dad)
    2018 AMG e63s wagon with a rack for skis, black please
    2018 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS in white, yes white, pick up in DE along with a driving course
    2018 Sportsmobile Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 camper with a camo coat of wilderness dust, spilled coffee and paw prints
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaguar E-Type Series 1 Roadster. 1963-ish or so.
    Lancia Delta HF Integrale Evo
    1968 Pymouth Barracuda
    1994 Toyota Supra Turbo
    Jeep CJ-2 or 3, not terribly picky about either generation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 1964 Ferrari 250GT Berlinetta Lusso( used to own one)
    A new Porsche Panamerica Hybrid
    A 1973 BMW 2002 Tii ( used to own one)
    A perfect 1990 Porsche 964 ( used to own one)
    A perfect BMW 3.0 CSI, manual

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not going to pick 5, but I wanted to share pics from 2 cars in a local garage...

Attachment 110571

Attachment 110572

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1969 fiat 500, midnight blue, red leather upholstery, vinyl sunroof, so you can transport your skis, and 3 more of those for the children. possibly a citreon DS decapotable for showing off days if I could find a spare GBP250,000. Full time Italian electrician needed of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DD: Audi RS6 Avant - airport runs, business lunches, skis, bikes, etc.
    GT: 911 / Singer - long weekends with luggage for two
    Family hauler: 2019 Chevrolet Suburban RST Performance - room for 5 + dog
    Expedition / apocolypse: Maximog, Unicat, or similar - for my worst survivalist fantasies
    Classic: circa ‘66 Lincoln Continental convertible - cars & coffee, parades, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily Driver: CTS-V Wagon. It's "practical", good-looking, and capable of hauling race bikes in style and comfort

Muscle: 1964 Corvette Coupe. My grandpa had one(now belongs to my aunt) and it was sweet. Blue paint, black interior. 70's LT1, 4 speed muncie, factory AC, and chambered exhaust. His was obviously not a numbers matching original car but it was an unrestored survivor despite being raced every way imaginable, catching fire twice, and getting stolen once. Easily my favorite car ever

Tow/hauling vehicle: 1968 Chevy El Camino. I have a love affair with GM A-bodies.

Rally: Lancia Stratos. enough said

Vintage Race car: Devin SS. All the looks and speed of a 50's Ferrari race car and the ease of maintenance and raw power of an American drivetrain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

*Hey Zamb >> somebody here has a Quigley 4x4 1 ton Chebby and it is awesome.
    Ach! post up, laddies!

Also, Rich's Ferrari made me rueful... Shoulda posted up Ferrari F40, or AT LEAST a 308GTSI.
    Last edited by deano; 12-26-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast