User Tag List

Thread: Project Management

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Project Management

I've had the pleasure of working with one helluva smart and energetic gent for the past 7-8 years who makes a living traveling the world and helping Fortune 500 companies organize their project management processes. When I say project management, it applies to any sort of project which requires planning, organization, execution, monitoring and closeout. Construction, IT, IPO's...you PM pros know what I'm talking about. He's had an idea of creating a physical space which could essentially be erected on any client site and serve as a project "hub", with the sole purpose of being used for project focused meetings. The intersection of physical, digital and three dimensional if you will where the art, craft and science of project management come together. Brilliant.

Well for the past day and a half I've been meeting with him in his lab which is in a garage on a side street in Princeton and for you PM geeks out there, I have to tell you that I was blown away. We are going to organize his ideas in a virtual format and we hope to be able to translate his ideas so that it makes sense from a design standpoint and that the design and tools are in synch with the method that he teaches to his clients. Probably the item that really hit home is the critical path table, which simply links critical path activities on post-its, and with a simple push, shows the impact of a sliding schedule. Works better in sending a warning message than any Primavera schedule that I've rolled out to a CEO. Drop me a note if this subject matter is of interest to you and I can share information in greater detail.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Project Management

The space looks pretty cool, but some of the terms you used make it sound like he's doing waterfall PM with "agile" dressing.

I know both worlds (IPMA Level B cert, and Scrum Master / Agile Coach for the past 13 years) and I definitely find this interesting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is good at project management but couldn't find a way to do the finishing works on his basement ? Now that's funny. :o)
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-19-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    He is good at project management but couldn't find a way to do the finishing works on his basement ? Now that's funny. :o)
    Shoe makers kids...

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    The space looks pretty cool, but some of the terms you used make it sound like he's doing waterfall PM with "agile" dressing.

I know both worlds (IPMA Level B cert, and Scrum Master / Agile Coach for the past 13 years) and I definitely find this interesting!
    I find it interesting as well and thought that some here would too. His MO has been to bring PM to the masses or essentially have people that don't manage projects every day understand the basics of PMBOK (which you know can be intimidating for sure) and understand the full implications of their team's actions. In most cases, understand what information is essential in ensuring success and the process by which one gathers, validates and organizes project information, as well as understand the challenges of the myriad of requirements and risks that are involved with a project. The lab is the result of watching people interact as groups and trying to establish a workflow and zones within the space, where key activities need to take place. Collaboration space, heads down space, and modeling space, status/tracking space, etc.

We have had good success with our clients by starting with simple things like having them identify the project sponsor, establish the charter, identify the stakeholders and map the requirements. Simple, yet essential elements which are part of the process. Most folks as you know get hung up on the work breakdown structure (WBS) because they actually have to think...imagine that...and the physical space has been very helpful in allowing them to map out the WBS and memorialize the events for all to see and revisit, without having to locate the information in the cloud. At the very minimum, using such a process has improved the communication with our own team and our clients. As one client stated, "we now have a process by which we have buy-in and easy access to information and we don't have to rely solely on opinions and emotions, in managing our projects."

It will be interesting to see where this goes as my world involves architecture and construction, but our clients are dealing with core processing conversions, communication system updates, branding/marketing rollouts and you name it. We start with the space such as the lab when we deliver their facilities projects and they are working to keep the space to deal with their projects when we leave. It's all project management at the end of the day, right?
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I had invented post-it notes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I work in the administrative end of higher ed, and I wish we had some systems in place like this. We tend to defer to the loudest voices (HIPPO's) in a lot of our projects/initiatives.

Is there a digital version that is worthwhile, or are folks better off with tactile pieces?
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    So I work in the administrative end of higher ed, and I wish we had some systems in place like this. We tend to defer to the loudest voices (HIPPO's) in a lot of our projects/initiatives.

Is there a digital version that is worthwhile, or are folks better off with tactile pieces?
    We seem to be in a hybrid world with our team and our clients. They like the fact that there is a cloud based “folder” where key project information is stored, but the interactive workshops, where people have a voice and vote with their post-its, seems to generate the most interest and enthusiasm. It’s also a great forum where people seem to really open up and identify risks and collaborate to find ways to address the risks, without ignoring them...a real problem as you know.

We are just winding down a pretty complex higher ed project (occupied library and learning center) and I know what you mean about people speaking from their “power positions”. We were called in when the design, schedule and budget went sideways, and if we had not followed a regimented recovery and project organization process, but said yes to demands of the President and Provost without challenging the logic of the project requirements, we’d still be counting the bodies.

Send me a PM and I’ll forward some info your way.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is good at project management but couldn't find a way to do the finishing works on his basement ? Now that's funny.
    Thomas, you're out of your element. His basement is not the issue here.
    Walter

Calmer than you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must disagree. Getting that peaked roof into a basement must have required serious skills.

p.s. While there are certainly underground garages, that garage is not a basement. Not quite sure how you got that idea. It kind of takes the sting out of your insult though.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always looked down on people who couldn't organize their life well enough to park their car in their garage. Except now I park in the driveway and my shop and bikes live on my side of the garage. It might be nice to have the ability to open a big door in a meeting room when the weather is nice.

I think you would have to take pictures of the post it chart or people would be moving their pieces :)