Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Vsalon Nomads ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2019 Vsalon Nomads ride

I'm running WTB Riddler 700X37. Used these at Farmer's Daughter with great success. They roll fast on pavement and have a ton of volume.
    As Dan says you don't need a tractor tire for this, but some volume will help.
    I'm no expert on the area, it seems like a typical gravel/rock watershed so minimal mud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy smokes, that is a big kid ride.

I rode a bunch of these roads last Sunday on the MTB. They are mostly gravel and do drain fast. The exception i know of is Piney Mtn. Ridge that can get really muddy. if there's a major rainstorm, the only concern is road washout and some large rocks surfacing but it wasn't bad at all last weekend.

Trying to borrow my neighbor's gravel bike which I've never ridden to make this work on Saturday. What could go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you can borrow a gravel bike and join the suffering. You should plan to ride at least the start of the ride with us and take some of the sweet trails back to Pine Grove if you end up on your mountain bike.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gravel bike procured. I will review instructions above and definitely start out with y'all and see how far that thing takes me. Crazy storms up here yesterday afternoon and likely again today BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy weather in central Pa lately. Tornado warnings daily.

I'll be bringing two bikes and making a game time decision.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Crazy weather in central Pa lately. Tornado warnings daily.

I'll be bringing two bikes and making a game time decision.
    Is this a trick question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have site #45 (no pet) and site #69 (pets allowed). Decided to bring Sully the wonder poodle. Anybody wants suite 45 jump on it ASAP, I just canceled.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-31-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the approximate expected start time for the friday leg opener?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    what is the approximate expected start time for the friday leg opener?
    Josh and I will be there this weekend working out final details. We will post a weekend itinerary in the next couple of days. As a guess, we will probably ride Friday at around 4:00-4:30
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just pre-rode the first 52 miles. Dan has put together a fantastic route.
    Not dissimilar to Baller's Ride you MUST be self sufficient with GPS, Food and water (water is at designated places), mechanical blah blah blah. The course is not technical but it is nearly all dirt and gravel and up...lots of up ;)

At this point we'd like a firm commitment who is coming and would be very cool if you say if you plan to do some cooking to share.

The tentative plan will be to roll at 7am and spend not more than 1.5 hrs. max at stops/mechanicals etc. That will get us back in 10 to 11 hrs. with some wiggle room.

Dan has the last word on logistics.

Giddup dis is gonna be nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had some pretty strong storms come through last night. We got a good bit of rain. Roxann and I just got back from riding the second half of the route and I have to say, the roads are fantastic. The rain knocked down all the dust and made the pot holes easier to see on the descents. The roads were slightly tacky at places which probably added a tiny bit of resistance. One or two sections of road have a sandy top surface, so again these areas were a little soft, but nothing to be concerned about.

Can we please get a show of hands on who will be there so we can start some meal planning for Saturday night.

So far we have:

Too Tall - Josh
    Queen - Doreen
    PaMtbRider - Dan
    Gravel Girl - Roxann
    Angry Scientist - Nick
    JoB- Josef
    Will Neide - Will

We have 2 other couples that aren't on the forum who will be camping with us and doing at least part of the rides.

Basic weekend itinerary.

Friday we would like to do a 14 mile ride starting at 4:00pm. This will be an easy pace ride with 1 climb. Plan on being back about 5:15-5:30. Friday supper will be on your own. I am sure we will sit around and share food and stories.

Saturday ride time is 7:00 am. We would like to average a 10-11 mph pace. With some time for rest stops this will put the short ride back at the campground sometime around 4:00. The long ride between 5:00 and 6:00. This is if everything goes well. Weather, mechanicals, and just plain tired legs will all come into play and will need to be dealt with to make sure everyone has a safe and fun day.,

Sunday, ride, hike, swim, recover, tell lies about your epic ride.

FYI, Pine Grove Furnace is a State Park and has a no alcohol policy. We have never had an issue using some discreet cups and good behavior. If you are loud and obviously consuming alcohol the park rangers will ask you to leave.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still a firm "yes," and I'm excited to get out there on those dirt roads. I'll be there Friday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to all,

Those of us that aren't able to attend or would be unable to keep up are looking forward to a turn by turn report!

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently the weekend forecast is looking really good. No rain and hi temps in the 70's.

A few updates for Saturday dinner. We will provide burgers, hot dogs, rolls, chips and probably some more stuff. Nick will be grilling up some hot italian sausage and pepper sandwiches. I spoke with forum member glepore and he is still planning on joining us but probably won't be riding. He will probably be doing something cajun for Saturday evening. If you can bring a side dish or dessert to share that would be great. Good beer is considered both a side dish and a dessert so it is always a good choice. We should have 10-12 people Saturday evening.

FYI, cell phone service at the campground is almost non existent regardless of carrier. A text will sometimes make it through.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's hope that version of the forecast holds.

bike and micro ready to rock and roll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been brought to my attention that there are only two of us planning on doing the 100 mile ride Saturday. I'm looking at you Will Neide. I've been asked to break this down to two easier days of riding.

New route options are posted here. V-Salon Nomads ride

Saturday will have a 41 and a 57 mile option. We will need to drive about 15 minutes to the ride start Saturday morning. We shouldn't have to start quite as early, and will have more social time Saturday afternoon evening.

Sunday there will be a 33 and a 51 mile option and will leave from the campground. This will give plenty of time to be back by noon for lunch and before check out at 3:00

All the rides will have a place to refill water, but you will need to carry whatever nutrition supplies you need with you.

FWIW, I feel pretty good about my fitness and want to take advantage of that in the next few weeks. I will be watching the weather and will be heading back here to do the full 100 mile ride on another day. If you want to join me send me a pm or we can talk this weekend. I'm looking at you again Will Neide:-)

I hope everyone is ok with these late in the game changes.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly, Dan is killing it. Great work and appreciate the accommodation.
    Mrs Too will be riding the Sat. loop and maybe chillin' with the super poodle Sunday.
    I'm up for both riding days.

I'll bring some cornbread and (legal) brownies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am game for whatever you throw at me. Looks like a nice 57 miler on Saturday.
    I will probably arrive late Friday after work, check in with y'all, and then retreat to the cabin down the road. Any late deciders who can't get a camp site at Pine Grove are welcome to set up camp there - don't let that stop you from attending!

For the socializing, not sure what the fam has planned but we'll be bringing food if we stop by for dinner.

If my loaner gravel bike treats me well, I'll be glad to attempt the 100 miler with you later on, Dan.

Look forward to seeing/meeting everybody!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    It's been brought to my attention that there are only two of us planning on doing the 100 mile ride Saturday. I'm looking at you Will Neide. I've been asked to break this down to two easier days of riding.

New route options are posted here. V-Salon Nomads ride

Saturday will have a 41 and a 57 mile option. We will need to drive about 15 minutes to the ride start Saturday morning. We shouldn't have to start quite as early, and will have more social time Saturday afternoon evening.

Sunday there will be a 33 and a 51 mile option and will leave from the campground. This will give plenty of time to be back by noon for lunch and before check out at 3:00

All the rides will have a place to refill water, but you will need to carry whatever nutrition supplies you need with you.

FWIW, I feel pretty good about my fitness and want to take advantage of that in the next few weeks. I will be watching the weather and will be heading back here to do the full 100 mile ride on another day. If you want to join me send me a pm or we can talk this weekend. I'm looking at you again Will Neide:-)

I hope everyone is ok with these late in the game changes.
    All of the above sounds good to me.

I'm excited to get out on some dirt roads with you guys.

I definitely want to get out there on another weekend and go for the 100 miler.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast