User Tag List

Thread: Independent Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Independent Radio

Dustin's mention of the Creek in another thread got me to thinking of my own local community radio station. 88.5 WNMF in Tampa, on
    the web at wmnf.org or get the app. They are on the far left of the dial and political spectrum but have a great line up of DJ's and music.

I know there must be more because I've found them in my travels.

What's yours?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Independent Radio

Here's the link for "my" local boys and girls :: The Creek FM
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KCMP 89.3. It's part of Minnesota Public Radio but their play list is very eclectic and not traditional public radio at all. Excellent radio station.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91.3 WYEP...”where the music matters”...91.3FM WYEP | WHERE THE MUSIC MATTERS in Pittsburgh...best Indie radio station on this side of the planet...from a loyal listener since 1976.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WPKN, 89.5FM in Bridgeport, CT. The Real Alternative, Independent Community Radio.

Over 100 volunteer programmers. The programming is all over the map, but there's always something interesting. I just can't comprehend that many people are so passionate about music that they volunteer their time sharing their knowledge and joy of music with the public. Some programmers have been doing so for over 30 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    KCMP 89.3. It's part of Minnesota Public Radio but their play list is very eclectic and not traditional public radio at all. Excellent radio station.
    I'm literally listening to them right now. awesome station. and the occasional twin cities forecast (45 degrees colder tonight than here in LA) is always fun to hear. "freezing fog?" dang, that sounds like no fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWOZ in New Orleans is just about the best station I've heard for jazz, blues, etc. Check out their stream. Beats anything we have in the NYC area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have three great college stations here in the Triangle. WKNC at NC State and the one at UNC being more collegey. Duke's WXDU is out there but generally very good. Big fan. It's quite avant garde tbough sometimes it gets too far out there for even me.they all stream too.

We have a great classical station here too. WCPE. It's among the better classical stations out there.

Adrian at Seven Stars Cycles here in town strongly recommends the MIT Station. He is a Boston transplant and streams it in the shop.

Edit: dontcha just love good radio? I have a Midland emergency radio I gave my dad years ago and took it back when he died. Listen to it every day. It has a Dynamo for power outages. I thought it broke and a friend gave me a very cool Grundig world band radio to replace it when I graduated from divinity school. The Midland works again. With the Grundig I have picked up broadcasts from China, Australia, and Spanish language broadcasts from I don't know where. And, Boston Red Sox when we have been up in Vermont in the summer. (Viva la Cincinnati reds but finding 700WLW would be depressing these days).
    Last edited by deano; 12-13-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WRIR 97.3 in Richmond VA is ours only by family. My wife's brother-in-law, Bill Lupoletti, was a founding member of this low power FM station, and he has one of the best radio shows I've heard anywhere. He studies (emphasis on obsessively) music from Eastern Europe, Latin America, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Plus Celtic music, folk music, American traditional music, etc. He has listeners now who send him stuff from all over the place - meaning he has people in Cameroon sending his music from Cameroon to play on his show. That's pretty great. Or as he says, "I'm big in Yaoundé." The station itself has a live stream that is surprisingly good quality, and Bill has his own website for his show, Global-a-Go-Go, where you can find playlists and podcasts for every show, plus new artists, obituaries, and general news.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-13-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome, Jorn; I drive through RVA 4x a month. I will listen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stream it or listen to the podcasts from Bill's site. Our Saturday morning is bagels, paper and the latest recording of Bill's show. When it is cold out, the show is a good excuse for lingering over coffee.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KEXP Seattle is my personal favorite. I know Garro agrees.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I volunteered at WCBN in Ann Arbor back in college. Free form, baby. Still there, still weird.

The station was notorious during my time for playing "It's My Party" non-stop after Reagan was elected president. The station manager responsible for that went on to a career running WFMU, the only radio station I know of that's got its own movie. And New York Times profile!

I used to listen to WMBR's "Breakfast of Champions" as I drove my kid to school in the morning. I miss that show, but not that drive...
    GO!