User Tag List

Thread: -- 41... always

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -- 41... always

--- my pleasure and honor to meet this gentleman, officer, and President at the White House 1990...
    our gathering of the eagles 101st airborne 7th ranger detachment 25th.., away from hell brothers flock survivors...
    to pay respect at the Vietnam wall...

time in the White House with rations, lister bag drink and small talk... a very respectful commander and chief..

attention -- carry on..,

ronnie with respect, a smile and a fond memory

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: -- 41... always

Thank you for posting this. I feel a need to at least tip your hat for the men (for now) who served us in the highest office regardless of political affiliation or performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much respect.
    I'm not from his political party, but the respect remains.
    Been watching a bit of the coverage on C-SPAN.
    Another national treasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

41 lectured a few times a semester at my grad school. He was always patient and kind, and took a genuine interest in people. Having said that, he had a wicked sense of humor and would light up like a candle when telling (or being told) an off color joke.

We may never see another like him. I'm glad he's getting some rest now, as the last couple of years seem to have been rough for him. Heaven knows he's earned it, and then some.

I love that he counted prior adversaries among his friends. Would that more people could put petty differences aside and see fellow humans as, well, human. I attended a fundraiser for a humanitarian effort at which Bill Clinton regaled us with stories of traveling with 41 for tsumami relief events. The way Clinton spoke of him, and the way Bush reciprocated, is enough to make my eyes well up even now. Two former rivals uniting to do something good for others, long after there was no political hay to be made for doing so.

Be good to someone who thinks you have nothing in common. It matters.