Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Comfort Foods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ultimate Comfort Foods

Mind blown re: mayo Dustin. I don't like it either. But is this like looking at that spider I'm super afraid of to overcome my fears? I can't decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Mind blown re: mayo Dustin. I don't like it either. But is this like looking at that spider I'm super afraid of to overcome my fears? I can't decide.
    Mayo on grilled cheese won't make you like mayo. But it will make you like grilled cheese even more!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me with the grilled cheese, what puts it over the top is to sprinkle some shredded cheese on the grill and then put on the bread. It crisps up nicely, and gives it just that little extra.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the blood of mine enemies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grandmother made the best chile colorado in the universe. I have yet to find anything that rivals it. And I still dream about it.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Toots said, eggs over easy on rye toast. My Mom used to make a hole in the toast to put the egg in. Don't know if it is comfort because of the food or the memory.

As Dustin said, I HATE mayo but it is killer on grilled cheese for comfort food. But a little revise....I put mayo on one slice of bread. And mustard on the other. Guldens. Not that silly French's or other watery yellow stuff that is not mustard ATMO nor the frou-frou French mustard I get in Quebec (I have been known to run Gulden's over the border under the front seat of the Volvo).

Plus, a tomato under the cheese.

And if I am lucky and have a piece of ham in the fridge that under the cheese too. Or prosciutto, or bacon.

Basically pork makes it even better comfort food.

Which, speaking of my Mom again, is probably making her roll over in her urn.

And, speaking of pork, I always keep some home made pea soup frozen in the fridge in case of emergency. And, pea soup made with the left over bone from a good ham is just the best in making a comfort pea soup...with a slab of crusty bread slathered in real butter.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tonight's comfort food, chicken chile verde enchiladas. Tomatillos, white onion, garlic, serranos and cilantro are from our garden, for that added level of comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are two oddball ones we will go to if the mood is right.

Roasted Garlic Head + bread >> Cut the top 1/3 off of a entire hand of hard neck garlic. Use a fork pointed straight down and poke a bunch of holes in the tops of all the cloves as if you were tenderizing meat. Sprinkle salt than drizzle heavily with EVO and place under a medium broiler until it slightly burns. Meantime, warm a baguette. When the garlic is done (shoot for 10 mins. you might have to cycle the oven in order not to have a fire) use a kitchen towel to wrap the hand of garlic and use that to squeeze the cooked garlic onto a plate. Go nuts. Stay away from friends for a day.

Brie Heart Attack >> Similar to above. Break the surface of a REALLY good Brie, add a pat of butter or substitute EVO and place in a hot oven for 10 mins. Slivered almonds are optional. When done use a warm baguette and go nuts.

Neither of the above are socially acceptable items for a gathering, best done in private.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-01-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

French onion soup done right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Here are two oddball ones we will go to if the mood is right.

Roasted Garlic Head + bread >> Cut the top 1/3 off of a entire hand of hard neck garlic. Use a fork pointed straight down and poke a bunch of holes in the tops of all the cloves as if you were tenderizing meat. Sprinkle salt than drizzle heavily with EVO and place under a medium broiler until it slightly burns. Meantime, warm a baguette. When the garlic is done (shoot for 10 mins. you might have to cycle the oven in order not to have a fire) use a kitchen towel to wrap the hand of garlic and use that to squeeze the cooked garlic onto a plate. Go nuts. Stay away from friends for a day.

Brie Heart Attack >> Similar to above. Break the surface of a REALLY good Brie, add a pat of butter or substitute EVO and place in a hot oven for 10 mins. Slivered almonds are optional. When done use a warm baguette and go nuts.

Neither of the above are socially acceptable items for a gathering, best done in private.
    I think enthusiasm for garlic is one of the critical factors in friend selection... If they wouldn't join in I'd have real second thoughts...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    French onion soup done right
    Well....don't be circumspect. Make with the details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Well....don't be circumspect. Make with the details.
    sorry for the terseness; was replying via tiny iphone se, and I was just nominating a great comfort food.... But I do make some occasionally My best ones really start with a cheat: I make an onion beef broth for use in Quebec-style "Fondue chinoise" which is similar to Chinese hot pot. i.e. one (well, dinner guests) cooks thin strips of beef in a bullion. At the end of the fondue dinner, there is invariably some extra meat floating in the pot of now super rich beef broth. My last fondue pot in fact had a starter from the dripping/stock from a pulled pork slow cook, and that is kinda the point of a proper French Onion soup: it starts with leftovers: a stock made up from your roast beef & veggies (peels allowed if you have the patience for that kind of thing) or bone-in something; plus crusty old French bread-you know how it gets hard as a rock; that's an asset as a topper to a soup as it resists getting soggy (if it's fresh, you should dry it out in the oven or by leaving it out cut and unwrapped a few hours); and any good cheese hanging out in the fridge that gets melted on top. gruyère is traditional, but brie, mozz, hell, why not some goat? will do as well. If I'm planning ahead for this specifically (and it is normally part of the fondue broth) I'll carmelize the onions then deglaze with some red wine before adding the stock and cook it down to the right richness (careful with salt content; less is more before reduction if you know what I mean)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giordana >>> that "cheat" is pure gold. I never would have thought of it. I'm a gruyère man. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Quebecois better half does essentially what Giordana said above using vermouth instead of other wine. She also tries to use more than one kind of white onion...for instance Vidalia and Sweet White and whatever else she has in the onion bag. And Swiss Emmenthal cheese. But in both recipes they will be very comfy especially in one of those crocks right from the oven.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife makes an awesome chicken pot pie loaded with potatoes, veggies, etc. Pairing a slice or two with a good porter or stout makes a great hearty meal on a cold fall or winter night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12