User Tag List

Thread: training for a running race via cross training

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default training for a running race via cross training

In looking for some ways to motivate myself a little more intentionally, I signed up for the Parkway Classic in VA next Spring- a 10 mile races from Mt Vernon to Old Town.
    Also contemplating the Backyard Burn trail running series...

So my question is, are there any good resources out there for training for a running race that encompass other sports- namely biking and/or rowing? I fully understand training for a marathon may dictate that you largely leave the bike in the garage for a couple months, but a 10 miler is short enough that I should be able to "workout" myself into good enough shape to have a decent result, while not shutting the door on variety.

Assuming 5-6 workouts a week, should I plan one long run, one or two speed workouts, then use the bike and erg for recovery days, etc?

I know it's an open ended question, but I'm sitting here at the end of Nov not quite in the shape I'd prefer, and a winter of cycling, rowing (indoors), Peloton (indoors), and running outdoors (and hotel treadmills) ahead of me and trying to figure out the best way to combine them into something that could reasonably be called running fitness.

Thanks in advance.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: training for a running race via cross training

The biggest factor right now in what you'll want to do is what is your run training like right now?
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    The biggest factor right now in what you'll want to do is what is your run training like right now?
    Running about 2 days a week, 2-4 miles a pop at 8-9 min/mi.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. So here's my suggestion -- and take it as that, just my suggestion.

Running is a lot about adaptation to the specific demands of the running movement and the stresses it places on your body. Sorry, but there really isn't a good cross training regimen that will do much to make you adapt any better than actual running.

* Increase that to 4 days a week at first, with one long day, one medium day, and two short days. Short would be 10 minutes. Long would be 35-40. Keep the pace well within comfortable.
    * After a month of that, increase to 5 days a week. One long, two medium, two short.
    * Increase overall length (time) of any week no more than 10% of the week previous. Give it a couple weeks, then increase again.
    * Pay CLOSE attention to lingering tightness, any pains beyond muscle soreness, etc.
    * Once the long run gets around 50+ minutes, keep the medium and short runs where they are and just increase the long run.
    * I like to track run time rather than distance. It's just easier. Especially when increasing the long run. My suggestion to people doing the kind of thing you're contemplating is walk as needed when doing the long runs, but don't count that time. Take as long as you need to get the amount of actual run time your schedule proscribes.
    * Three weeks before your event, do a test continuous run of a specified distance about 80% of the event distance. If the event is 10 miles, test at 8 miles.
    * Keep riding as you want, but don't overextend yourself

Hope that helps.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Dave said and planks. Lots of every kind of planks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about speed workouts, follow David's plan, the only thing I'd add is to pay attention to your form until it is completely unconscious. Then maybe think about picking up the pace over the natural speed you'll gain. Most people if they get hurt it's their form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realized I posted this before thanksgiving and haven’t circled back to it.
    Thanks all, for the helpful responses.

I ran competitively in high school and slightly less so thru college so I think I have some remnant of muscle memory that keeps my stride and form efficient and relatively pain free. Just need to start upping the miles and focusing more on running than the bike a little bit.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on your running experience and current state I would do 4 runs a week.

Planks with no end
    Get a foam roller if you don't have one - use it

Running a bit faster occasionally will make everything easier. No training is as efficient as some efforts.
    Do some trail running to start to get your ligaments and joints used to running without too much strain while building running muscles.

Monday easy recovery jog - 20-30 minutes
    Tuesday bike, row
    Wednesday easy run with 8 x 20 seconds fast/1 to 2 minutes easy
    Thursday bike, row
    Friday easy run with 8 x 30 seconds fast/1 to 2 minutes easy
    Saturday ride the bike
    Sunday slightly longer run with fartlek sections of 1 to 2 minutes in duration at 10mile effort

After the 10 miles you will enjoy cycling for the rest of the season