User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Learned the hard way one cannot ride Zwift (using an iPad) and put game in the background to collect data while watching a movie. Oops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: riding with others

On Saturday I "rode" with two buddies. We're fairly closely matched on the road so it's a decent matchup in the virtual world as well. Normally I'm not a huge fan of trying to ride with someone else but I will admit that in this instance it really helped the time go by faster and it motivated me to ride virtual terrain I wouldn't normally ride. So I guess it was a win.

Thankfully I think we're rapidly approaching the time when we can get out on real roads. But that's another topic for another day.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yesterday I was motoring along at 2.2-2.3 and a guy was on my wheel who was at 167 miles. I lost him on a climb but could see he had settled on someone else's wheel. As hard as it to imagine actually doing, but a double century could be done on a busy loop if you set yourself some limits on effort and try to sit in drafts. I'd probably lose my mind doing it, but if the loop was pretty full of riders and you'd stop every 60-90 minutes for water/bathroom, it would be an accomplishment. You'd always find another wheel to sit on.

But if ultra rides are your goal going into the season, saddle time is saddle time.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using it since November on days I can't get outside.
    It is a good workout... I still don't really dig much into it...
    I pick a course and do it... pass a lot and get passed a fair amt.
    Ride with small groups mostly...catch somebody or they catch you,etc.

It says 10 at my log in. what does this mean?
    essentially I want to sweat for an hour and be done w it...
    I did the worlds course today and saw a big group who were riding pretty easily...
    stuck for a bit but wanted a little more action.
    recovery group I presume?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I have been using it since November on days I can't get outside.
    It is a good workout... I still don't really dig much into it...
    I pick a course and do it... pass a lot and get passed a fair amt.
    Ride with small groups mostly...catch somebody or they catch you,etc.

It says 10 at my log in. what does this mean?
    essentially I want to sweat for an hour and be done w it...
    I did the worlds course today and saw a big group who were riding pretty easily...
    stuck for a bit but wanted a little more action.
    recovery group I presume?
    I ride 55-60 minutes. One time I rode 80 minutes but I had a bad day at work and was riding the pissed off away. IMO, trainers are for an hour/ride to get you through the cold and wet months. I don't like being in a group because the wattage/effort bounces all over the place, I'm cool with sitting behind a line. I'll chase people on climbs to push myself. I might suck wheel before a sprint because I like sprinting. If a group passes me at a high wattage I just do a virtual wave. And when a guy passes me on a flat section at 9W/Kg until he's out of sight, I just feel pity on the person who has to rule a virtual world to feel good.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow I'm hitting Bill's favorite the figure 8. Prolly after morning yoga around 1pm EST is anyone is up for some torture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Tomorrow I'm hitting Bill's favorite the figure 8. Prolly after morning yoga around 1pm EST is anyone is up for some torture.
    Lap and a half of Richmond this evening. I think it's harder than the Figure 8. Tomorrow is boot camp class, hence the lap and a half. I'll need some legs for all the squats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Yesterday I was motoring along at 2.2-2.3 and a guy was on my wheel who was at 167 miles. I lost him on a climb but could see he had settled on someone else's wheel. As hard as it to imagine actually doing, but a double century could be done on a busy loop if you set yourself some limits on effort and try to sit in drafts. I'd probably lose my mind doing it, but if the loop was pretty full of riders and you'd stop every 60-90 minutes for water/bathroom, it would be an accomplishment. You'd always find another wheel to sit on.

But if ultra rides are your goal going into the season, saddle time is saddle time.
    Perhaps it was the same guy, but a few weeks ago I encountered a guy that was at mile 150 or 160. I went to the "Zwifter" section of the mobile app where you can get more details of someone and saw that he had been on the bike/trainer for over 7 hours!!!
    Thats either extremely dedicated to a goal or a poor goal choice.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Perhaps it was the same guy, but a few weeks ago I encountered a guy that was at mile 150 or 160. I went to the "Zwifter" section of the mobile app where you can get more details of someone and saw that he had been on the bike/trainer for over 7 hours!!!
    Thats either extremely dedicated to a goal or a poor goal choice.
    RAAM riders have been doing this for years using Computrainer / Heat Lamps and large fans. My guess is they are training for RAAM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just got off... wanted to take a 30 minute cruise...
    saw a social ride and jumped in.
    was just what I wanted to do actually...

first group ride i have done... i'll take another swing at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found group ride of the lower levels quite good as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm tempted to sit behind one of the 1.5 groups and just force myself to spin and sit on a pace. The only goal I keep on easy versus hard days is to maintain a 90 cadence. I used to spend the winter (both months) when I raced doing rollers in the living room at 90 RPM. It "programmed" my legs to seek that cadence. I'm trying to do the same now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm tempted to sit behind one of the 1.5 groups and just force myself to spin and sit on a pace. The only goal I keep on easy versus hard days is to maintain a 90 cadence. I used to spend the winter (both months) when I raced doing rollers in the living room at 90 RPM. It "programmed" my legs to seek that cadence. I'm trying to do the same now.
    LOL if you were to average my cadence over any distance it would be 90 rpms...and people call me a spinner. Sheesh.

Yep, the 1.5 groups are quite civilized.

Well, today was a bust. Two days in a row of 1.5 hrs. vinyassa turned up to 11 hammered my legs pretty bad. I lasted 30 mins. on figure 8 course ;)

Tomorrow is another day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The new desert routes are cool. It's almost like I'm riding here, just need a few morning drunks headed back to Peach Springs. I think the terrain pitches up to 2% once or twice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new desert routes are cool. It's almost like I'm riding here, just need a few morning drunks headed back to Peach Springs. I think the terrain pitches up to 2% once or twice.
    Tubleweeds, Jackalope. Must know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm usually good for an hour or so on Zwift myself, rarely longer than 90 minutes.

But today I saw a Kiwi passing 409 km on his ride, I looked him up and I think he was around his 13th hour for the ride. Not sure how long it might have gone on as he must have took a different turn than me. Maybe it was a group/relay type thing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eff me! I once tried 5 hours on the trainer, watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy... I had to get off the bike at 4 hours.

13 figgin' hours? That's Lon Haldeman territory.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw this thread and I must say I’m a new fan of Zwift and it’s been key for my recovery. On September 8th I ripped into a corner on short afternoon ride and my front wheel hit a small piece of corn stalk (harvest season in MA). I slammed down on my left side and broke my femoral neck (hip) clean through. They did emergency surgery that evening and screwed me back together. Many weeks of non weight bearing and then PT and a stationary bike was allowed. I’ve been riding the same set of mahogany rollers from my junior days in the early 80s so I bought a used Kickr off EBay and signed up for Zwift. At first I couldn’t even bend over enough to touch the tops of the bars. Slowly with stretching and riding Zwift I’m pretty much back to where I was last August. I’ll never be completely back as it was a bad injury and I’m not young anymore but Zwift has been the key to getting me into the basement pain cave and keeping me distracted. Riding the Alpe was a hoot once I reached level 12. I will keep an eye out for you all. My handle in Zwift is “Hip Fracture”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
    Just saw this thread and I must say I’m a new fan of Zwift and it’s been key for my recovery. On September 8th I ripped into a corner on short afternoon ride and my front wheel hit a small piece of corn stalk (harvest season in MA). I slammed down on my left side and broke my femoral neck (hip) clean through. They did emergency surgery that evening and screwed me back together. Many weeks of non weight bearing and then PT and a stationary bike was allowed. I’ve been riding the same set of mahogany rollers from my junior days in the early 80s so I bought a used Kickr off EBay and signed up for Zwift. At first I couldn’t even bend over enough to touch the tops of the bars. Slowly with stretching and riding Zwift I’m pretty much back to where I was last August. I’ll never be completely back as it was a bad injury and I’m not young anymore but Zwift has been the key to getting me into the basement pain cave and keeping me distracted. Riding the Alpe was a hoot once I reached level 12. I will keep an eye out for you all. My handle in Zwift is “Hip Fracture”
    Yep Zwift is bittersweet salvation, sometimes you just have to give in and ride the d@mn thing.
    Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's warmed up here and the sun is rising earlier. I've been trying to do stuff outside. I've got a canoe trip in Canyonlands NP in late May so I've been walking about 20 miles a week to make my cycling legs hike. One of the things that affected me last summer when I moved here was the conditions of the trails surrounding my neighborhood. It's the desert so there were many washes with loose, ankle deep gravel that would make it impassable on my gravel bike. I needed a MTB with wider tires. The frame has arrived here, I've got the cockpit parts, and Garro has everything else in his shop. I should be doing afternoon rides starting the first week of June. I'd rather ride in 100+ degree afternoons (with really low humidity) than sit on a trainer. The short days of winter are for Zwift.