User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Weather is improving here but I still don't ever have any daylight to ride before work so I'll probably continue trying to knock out an hour on Zwift in the morning several days a week. Helps me make up for the days I'm wiped out by the time I get home from work and the days here when the wind is far beyond my tolerance level which unfortunately can be pretty often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here in NW Arizona, it's not unusual to have 25+ mph winds most afternoons, year round. One of the reasons we ride early on the road. I ignore the wind when riding off road but one of my regular gravel routes has a longish uphill grade that has a predominate tailwind in the afternoon. I'll descend into the wind anytime.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mondays I typically do a 4 mile walk after work, kind of a mind clearing but still beneficial "workout". Except yesterday. The wind was gusting to 35 mph with lots of dust so I stayed inside and got on the trainer. There's a new loop in Watopia called tick tock. It's around 12 miles, flattish, and does the new desert section and some alpine foothills type stuff. I did Richmond first, that loop just hurts. More MTB parts arrived yesterday, I can hardly wait for that to be done.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zwift makes riding a trainer somewhat tolerable. It's a good tool for the winter or recovery, or other special circumstances, but the weather is improving most places.

A good friend and riding mate, and teammate since the 70's, has taken to Zwift. On Sunday, when it was calm, sunny, dry, and in the mid 60's, he did 2.5 hrs on the blasted thing. I invited him on a ride and he told me he was busy! I'm almost sorry I suggested he get a smart trainer and a Zwift subscription last November.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Zwift makes riding a trainer somewhat tolerable. It's a good tool for the winter or recovery, or other special circumstances, but the weather is improving most places.

A good friend and riding mate, and teammate since the 70's, has taken to Zwift. On Sunday, when it was calm, sunny, dry, and in the mid 60's, he did 2.5 hrs on the blasted thing. I invited him on a ride and he told me he was busy! I'm almost sorry I suggested he get a smart trainer and a Zwift subscription last November.
    It's easy to fall into that trap. Do I layer to ride in 50 degrees or do I just put on a pair of bibs and a HRM to ride Zwift? Riding the road in the afternoons isn't an option for me regardless of temps or daylight. It's just too sketchy with all the trucks, tweakers, and wind. I ride before dawn on the weekends, finishing up around 8am. Afternoon rides are gravel or single track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I rode my KICKR this afternoon on Zwift. It was 96 degrees with 25 mph winds, didn't even feel like mountain biking. It's been a while since I opened Zwift, there were about 5 minutes of updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah we get that convection oven feeling around here in the summer, that's enough to send me to the trainer. I can take riding a bit outside in that kinda weather but I feel like one of those gas station hot dogs sizzling under a lamp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    Yeah we get that convection oven feeling around here in the summer, that's enough to send me to the trainer. I can take riding a bit outside in that kinda weather but I feel like one of those gas station hot dogs sizzling under a lamp.
    I had frozen my Zwift for the summer, and broke down and re-upped for July & August. I'll freeze it again come Sept, but the last week made that seem a brilliant idea. Feels like 100 at 9am? Yeah, London in the AC sounds a lot more enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Monsoon season here. Afternoon thunderstorms and localized flash flooding, not good for mountain biking. Conditions are good in the living room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watopia has a new course that starts in the desert and climbs up into Redwoods with dinosaurs. 12.5 miles and 500+ feet of climbing in a few slogs and a bunch of punchy stuff that really makes for a good interval workout. It was 106 degrees and windy yesterday, that's how I know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since it's practically November, I'll resurrect this. Update on my "pain living room", I upgraded my internet, mostly because of my online classes, but also to stop buffering in Zwift. I put a compact crankset on the trainer bike. I hated it on the road, but it's good for Zwifting and staying in the big ring. The new routes introduced are good, I really like the one I mentioned above, it has a series of short steep rollers that are good for keeping my HR up. The desert course has an out and back with a timed flat section of about 6 miles, I find it's good for checking fitness.

I'm doing a MA program on line, it looks like much of my riding will be indoors during the week for at least the next year. Between about 50 hours at work and 20-25 hours a week of school work, I can't depend on weather or daylight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brother Bill, too soon. I'm dragging this out as long as possible. Looking forward to sweat stains on the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Brother Bill, too soon. I'm dragging this out as long as possible. Looking forward to sweat stains on the carpet.
    I'll be seeing the kid at Annapolis the first weekend in November. They're switching over to trainers by the end of October. They've got a bunch of Kinetic brand smart trainers to use during the week with team rides on the weekend. His room is in the same wing of Bancroft Hall as the bike room. Dashdustin gave me such a deal on a bike that I'm going to get the boy some go-fast wheels in February-March. The bike Dustin sent him has a 3X32 with 240's and Belgiums so he'll have to slum along on those this winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I "met" TK today on the Watopia Epic climb. Which gave me the opportunity to try the texting function.... Small world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting on Watopia at 10:30 "Dust in the wind" Watopia “Dust In the Wind” Route Details | Zwift Insider Riding at sub 3w/kg because I'm just not into pain at the moment....soon but not at the moment ;)

If you need a wheel come on down the water is warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting on Watopia at 10:30 "Dust in the wind" Watopia “Dust In the Wind” Route Details | Zwift Insider Riding at sub 3w/kg because I'm just not into pain at the moment....soon but not at the moment ;)

If you need a wheel come on down the water is warm.
    LMK when you're on a recovery ride at sub 2.5 w/kg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    LMK when you're on a recovery ride at sub 2.5 w/kg
    Absolutely. Don't forget we support all forms of cheating ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting on at 1pm. Speedychixxx pace.
    I'll check back to see if anyone has a preference for course otherwise will do same as yesterday "Watopia/Dust in the Wind".
    Nice and lazy pace yo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting on at 1pm. Speedychixxx pace.
    I'll check back to see if anyone has a preference for course otherwise will do same as yesterday "Watopia/Dust in the Wind".
    Nice and lazy pace yo.
    Driving too many miles today. If too much snow overnight I might be posting a ride Wednesday.