User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ZWIFT > VS Zwifters post your start times....

Somebody call a cop. Tom Kellogg tried to kill me today. There I was peacefully sitting in riding along on Zwift / Watopia at 2.5 w/kg with dreams of watching the first season of Mrs. Maisel when out of the blue this cat appears wearing the same jersey. There is a reason I equaled my best 2018 20 min. effort today and nearly had a heart attack and that reason is the assassin known as Tom Kellogg.

Merry Xmas my friend :)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-25-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I get home from vacation this evening. I am a fat bloated shell of the chubby guy I was on 12/17. I'll get back on the Wahoo tomorrow evening. My TX house will close on Monday so I'll get a MTB on order after that, a MTB with the longer days will likely cut into my Zwift time.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I get home from vacation this evening. I am a fat bloated shell of the chubby guy I was on 12/17. I'll get back on the Wahoo tomorrow evening. My TX house will close on Monday so I'll get a MTB on order after that, a MTB with the longer days will likely cut into my Zwift time.
    All good Bill. Basically normal people fear you returning to form so....kidding. Get on it man, I look forward to some "e" rides.

I'm getting on Zwift at 1pm EST
    Route: Three Sisters / Watopia
    Pace: 2.5 mostly (cough) easier than the last time I was on with Mr. Tom ;) Sheesh it's my own fault.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caved in on a Boxing Day sale.

See you out on those virtual roads shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone planning a New Year's Day ride on Zwift? The local group has a scheduled ride that morning but it's supposed to be around 18 degrees with 15mph winds and it's a hill climb that starts at 4000 feet and finishes around 6200 so it would be colder, low single digit wind chills, so nope. My schedule works out well with the east coasters, I just get up earlier. Heading to Garro's afterwards to talk about a bike.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone planning a New Year's Day ride on Zwift? The local group has a scheduled ride that morning but it's supposed to be around 18 degrees with 15mph winds and it's a hill climb that starts at 4000 feet and finishes around 6200 so it would be colder, low single digit wind chills, so nope. My schedule works out well with the east coasters, I just get up earlier. Heading to Garro's afterwards to talk about a bike.
    I can not speak for others, but the weather in the north east is going to be close to 50 degrees. Even with the predicted 15-25 mph winds that is a nice day to ride outside this time of year here.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of Zwift days coming...just not New Year's Day
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post your route/time Bill I'll Zwift if weather is poor. Local weather is highly unpredictable. Something to do with all the d@mn politicians blowing hot and cold ;)

It's a good day for planning a new bike you deserve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Post your route/time Bill I'll Zwift if weather is poor. Local weather is highly unpredictable. Something to do with all the d@mn politicians blowing hot and cold ;)

It's a good day for planning a new bike you deserve it.
    Rode an hour, did the London loop with 1100 or so feet of climbing. Tried to stay 2-2.5. Then ordered an XT M8000 1X group, Fox 34 fork, tubeless stuff, and Steve is going to build the wheels with Hope boost hubs, WTB Aym i29 rims, and 2.5" WTB tires. Wind chill was 11 while I was zwifting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode an hour, did the London loop with 1100 or so feet of climbing. Tried to stay 2-2.5. Then ordered an XT M8000 1X group, Fox 34 fork, tubeless stuff, and Steve is going to build the wheels with Hope boost hubs, WTB Aym i29 rims, and 2.5" WTB tires. Wind chill was 11 while I was zwifting.
    Ooooo new toys. Good for you man. You are going to love that fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice on both but especially on your next bike from Steve. Outstanding build planned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Nice on both but especially on your next bike from Steve. Outstanding build planned.
    I'm only two hours away from him these days. The trails I can use in the afternoons are a bit much for the Dirt Road Racer, I need a MTB. Steve started the XTR 1X12 thread because I asked him about it. XT 1X is more than enough for me. I rode two laps of some kind of London thing tonight with more climbing, because bigbill types are natural climbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Been kind of sickly since Thursday. Got back on it this morning after spending part of yesterday rearranging my pain cave which also doubles as my living room. I'm now looking at the 50" TV which is fed via an HDMI cable from my laptop. When I using the laptop on the back of the couch, I had to put on my glasses to see who was riding. The TV is large enough to see names now. I did the flat Watopia and had a good first lap with an 800 watt sprint but I had nothing for the second lap/sprint. About 45 minutes and I was done. I looked at the leader board for the sprint and a few other segments, I don't think I'm going to catch a guy doing 52 mph for .2 miles or another doing 74 mph on a 2 mile uphill effort. I'll admit weight doping 10-15#, but yeah............ Other than getting sick for a few days, I'm getting stronger on the longer runs and that's the point anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been kind of sickly since Thursday. Got back on it this morning after spending part of yesterday rearranging my pain cave which also doubles as my living room. I'm now looking at the 50" TV which is fed via an HDMI cable from my laptop. When I using the laptop on the back of the couch, I had to put on my glasses to see who was riding. The TV is large enough to see names now. I did the flat Watopia and had a good first lap with an 800 watt sprint but I had nothing for the second lap/sprint. About 45 minutes and I was done. I looked at the leader board for the sprint and a few other segments, I don't think I'm going to catch a guy doing 52 mph for .2 miles or another doing 74 mph on a 2 mile uphill effort. I'll admit weight doping 10-15#, but yeah............ Other than getting sick for a few days, I'm getting stronger on the longer runs and that's the point anyway.
    Just don't worry about "those guys".

Riding a trainer is not dissimilar to adapting to training on the Velodrome. You are always on the gas at least a little which feels extra hard at first. This is just some encouragement based on my own experience with the (d@mn) thing ;)

If you do the hack to have some peaceful miles on a non-calendar course you'll find a slightly different crowd to ride with. I'm finding that the non-calendar riders tend to be groups of friends/teams and less weight doping.

LOL A couple days ago I made the mistake of joining a endurance group ride which is something I almost never do. Basically, I was blown out the back sucking wind within five mins. The idiots smashed it from the start. Reminds me of all the local club rides ;)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-14-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I joined a Type 1 Diabetes ride the other day figuring I could roll around for an hour with a crowd...I was curious...
    It was scheduled to be 1.8 w/kg and it was exactly that. The ride leader did a good job and most everyone played nice. They even had some sprints. In order to partake in the sprints, you had to drift behind the leader who was mid-back of the group and you couldn’t open up your sprint until a certain point. Then had to let the group catch up after crossing the sprint finishline. I am equally bad at sprinting regardless of whether it is in reality or in a game. The ride was well done and gave me an hour warm up before screwing around a while longer.

BTW - another thing to play with is the Zwift/trainer smoothing. Go into you Zwift setting and there is a slider where you can make the trainer respond to terrain changes more abruptly. You don’t roll down a hill and up another as smoothly. As soon as you start up an incline you feel it. As soon as you start down, you feel it. Certainly adds a bit more of a challenge.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Riding a trainer is not dissimilar to adapting to training on the Velodrome. You are always on the gas at least a little which feels extra hard at first. This is just some encouragement based on my own experience with the (d@mn) thing ;)
    I get that, I used to ride on the track but I did pursuit and the occasional points or miss&out. Tonight was the first night I fell into a groove on the flat Watopia loop and held a strong effort at 90+ rpm with what looked like 20 riders behind me for two laps. It felt good, I set some new endurance wattage marks. One group passed me on the first lap with everyone at 4+ FTP, I didn't even try to jump on. Maybe in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get that, i used to ride on the track but i did pursuit and the occasional points or miss&out. Tonight was the first night i fell into a groove on the flat watopia loop and held a strong effort at 90+ rpm with what looked like 20 riders behind me for two laps. It felt good, i set some new endurance wattage marks. One group passed me on the first lap with everyone at 4+ ftp, i didn't even try to jump on. Maybe in a few weeks.
    nice!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short Notice >> Getting on @ 9:35 am for a slooooooow ride.

London > Course: London 8

Join at your own peril....it's going to be slow. Did I mention slow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Short Notice >> Getting on @ 9:35 am for a slooooooow ride.

London > Course: London 8

Join at your own peril....it's going to be slow. Did I mention slow?
    Stupid time zones. I think I'll actually go outside today, I set up the GT yesterday so it's good to go. I bought Jeff's 8000 group to go on the Serotta so when it goes on the KICKR it'll shift better. Campy 11 is good enough but that stuff is really worn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid time zones. I think I'll actually go outside today, I set up the GT yesterday so it's good to go. I bought Jeff's 8000 group to go on the Serotta so when it goes on the KICKR it'll shift better. Campy 11 is good enough but that stuff is really worn out.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I'm generally more or less organized ;)
    Anybody else blown away by the number of Zwifter's in course? The pref. file hack is a nice way to find some peace and quiet. I don't mind the workout, it's all the visual distraction and chatting that is a distraction.

FWIIW A few days ago I changed my weight to 150 lbs just to see. If you have a smooth pedal stroke, I'd like to think I'm not a hack, it seems like very little change in numbers until you stand..that's when it gets embarrassing. Once you settle down and use correct numbers it turns out there are thousands of other people doing the same thing. Most of them are "just training" not riding in events/races/training groups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, sorry about that. I'm generally more or less organized ;)
    Anybody else blown away by the number of Zwifter's in course? The pref. file hack is a nice way to find some peace and quiet. I don't mind the workout, it's all the visual distraction and chatting that is a distraction.

FWIIW A few days ago I changed my weight to 150 lbs just to see. If you have a smooth pedal stroke, I'd like to think I'm not a hack, it seems like very little change in numbers until you stand..that's when it gets embarrassing. Once you settle down and use correct numbers it turns out there are thousands of other people doing the same thing. Most of them are "just training" not riding in events/races/training groups.
    I rode outside. I forgot what it was like to pay attention to the pavement. FWIW, I keep the volume muted when I Zwift and just listen to the Jason Isbell channel on Pandora through my 1988 vintage Technics receiver and Cerwin-Vega speakers.