Bear with me on this one . . .
I've noticed a tiny, tiny pause at the top of my pedal stroke. I've been looked at a few times to adjust saddle height + fore/aft position. Raising my saddle helps reduce that pause but starts to irritate my hamstrings after an hour or so (I'm pretty This got me to wondering if a shorter crank would be helpful.

Well, I finished up my track bike and popped some 167.5mm cranks on it. Same saddle height, setback and saddle-to-bar drop. Things feel smoother at the top of the stroke and all around better (especially at a higher output) but I'm left wondering if it feels better because I'm on a fixed gear and I'm being "forced" through the top of the pedal stroke.

The obvious test would be to grab some 167.5 road cranks and throw them on my bike but they're hard to come by -- and I really don't want to throw down the $$$$$$ for DuraAce (or Sugino) cranks just to try it out.

There's a bunch of cheaper cranks available in 165mm lengths. The question is whether its worth it to drop the cash on one of those options to test it out or if I'm thinking about this all wrong.

Thanks