User Tag List

Thread: What's your favorite fruit or other interesting ingredient to use in smoothies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's your favorite fruit or other interesting ingredient to use in smoothies?

For the last year of so I've been working out at the gym after work (the gym's at work so it's convenient and free) and immediately afterwards I have a Clif Builder's bar, take a shower, then I go back to my office where I have a smoothie for "supper." Most of the time it consists of water, a meal-replacement powder, ground flax seed, a banana and some frozen strawberries.

It's occurred to me that I should probably have a bit more variety in the fruit add-ins. For example, blueberries could be a good substitute for the strawberries, but I'm wondering if anyone out there uses anything really new / interesting / healthy that would also work.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's your favorite fruit or other interesting ingredient to use in smoothies?

I am a big fan of adding some frozen pineapple and/or mango and sometimes papaya. Pineapple and mango have a lot of C and other stuff that I always figure are good to have. My supermarket doesn’t always have these frozen but Costco always seems to have them. Just be careful of going too heavy with pineapple and mango due to sugar. I use about 100 grams or so.

And I agree with your thinking on berries. There are some premixed frozen I have found that are blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry that are nice.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's your favorite fruit or other interesting ingredient to use in smoothies?

Given where I live, mangoes are the most popular smoothie addition. Along with a little honey it's tasty combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark sweet cherries and peaches/nectarines for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blueberry/strawberry combo is my go-to but mango is really nice too. We get a CSA box that often produces more fruit than we can reasonably eat so a lot of that goes in, too - peaches, nectarines, and other stonefruits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Given where I live, mangoes are the most popular smoothie addition. Along with a little honey it's tasty combo.
    Oh hell yeah! Our tiny tree gives so many mangos. We freeze them and we have nearly year-round mango.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Oh hell yeah! Our tiny tree gives so many mangos. We freeze them and we have nearly year-round mango.
    We have the only thing better than a mango tree. A dozen friends with mango trees. They just seem to show up all the time along with avocados.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if using fresh fruit it is good to freeze them solid prior to blending.
    Bananas can be sliced and frozen flat in ziploc bags to make portions.
    Getting that cold milkshake consistency makes smoothies especially delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fruit is what I like most of all but my morning smoothie has a big handful of spinach in it. I juice one lime in on top to help the taste of it and then whatever frozen fruit I have available, I use frozen peaches a lot because the bright green color that results is a little more appetizing. Strawberries taste good but they mix with the spinach to form a hideous shade that doesn't look like something you'd want to eat.

Chia seeds are something else I add in usually.

For consistency avocados are great in a post workout smoothie, they allow you achieve a dessert like shake if you wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    Fruit is what I like most of all but my morning smoothie has a big handful of spinach in it. I juice one lime in on top to help the taste of it and then whatever frozen fruit I have available, I use frozen peaches a lot because the bright green color that results is a little more appetizing. Strawberries taste good but they mix with the spinach to form a hideous shade that doesn't look like something you'd want to eat.

Chia seeds are something else I add in usually.

For consistency avocados are great in a post workout smoothie, they allow you achieve a dessert like shake if you wanted.
    Pro tips. Greens in a sweet smoothie are awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strangely enough, frozen cauliflower is a nice addition to smoothies. It adds some extra creaminess but not any flavor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Even if using fresh fruit it is good to freeze them solid prior to blending.
    Bananas can be sliced and frozen flat in ziploc bags to make portions.
    Getting that cold milkshake consistency makes smoothies especially delicious.
    For fruit I take any half eaten/uneaten fruit from my kids' plates and put in a bowl in the fridge for my next smoothie. Brown bananas get peeled and put in the freezer. Overripe berries- same thing.
    Then I just add kale, fruit, ice, and a splash of milk of liquid yogurt. I'm not overly picky- I mainly try to use all the other ingredients as a kale delivery system.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I add a little tumeric to mine–it's good for the muscles and it adds a certain kind of sweet flavor that I really enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to add cukes and celery to most of my smoothies. Also some fresh mint or basil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am stuck right now using the one handed spin wand as the vitamix was sent back for blade replacement. So no ice, room temp yogurt, milk, honey, bananas, berries, and chia seeds. It's ok not great.