Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hurricane Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hurricane Michael

Here are some videos of Cape San Blas, Port St Joe and Mexico Beach. The opening shots of CSB show an area of the state park adjacent to the boat ramp & bath houses that used to be covered with huge dunes and a parking area; it's now an inlet. The park supervisor's house, rental cottages and camp ground are now on an island. I remember when the cape had a Coast Guard lighthouse, a small state run recreation facility for handicapped folks, the state park on the north end, and about six private homes.

PC Beach

John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hurricane Michael

Whoever built those taller rental(?) cottages along the beach in San Blas - and whatever building regulations they followed - get the good housekeeping seal of approval as they look to be in pretty decent shape. Of course, they probably didn't have boats flying through the air and other debris taking out their pillars or smashing into the first floor.

There is a section of beach on the Outer Banks of North Carolina between Avon and Hatteras Point that washes out every time there is a major storm, not just hurricanes. And every time it gets rebuilt with dredged sand and asphalt at an ever increasing cost.

Part of the devastation here is man made then. If there weren't houses and people, there wouldn't be astronomical rebuild costs. I understand the draw of the ocean, but I don't understand the business of coastal development.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books