User Tag List

Thread: Centering the tube on the mill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Centering the tube on the mill

I ran across the "round bar center finder" tool (like this: .2" Head Diam, 3/8" Shank Diam, Double End, 76416528 - MSC) in a YouTube video. Is this tool accurate enough for centering the tube on a milling machine table for mitring? I am all ears if there are other methods people use that are more accurate.

Thanks much.
    Mike Cormack
    Vancouver, BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Centering the tube on the mill

Quote Originally Posted by macky View Post
    Is this tool accurate enough for centering the tube on a milling machine table for mitring? I am all ears if there are other methods people use that are more accurate.
    I guess this needs to be answered. IMO the linked item is completely useless and should not even exist. I can get a tube centered as accurate with my eyes (maybe even better). There are so many variables that play into the "accuracy" of centering the tube. 1) is the method of holding the tube parallel so if you center in one place is the miter spot still on center? 2) is the head of the mill trammed and is the tilt (if adjustable) fore and aft also trammed. 3) is the method of holding multiple size tubes consistent? Meaning if you are holding 1.125", 1.25" and 1.375" tubes are all held in a way that finding center once works for all three different tubes?

The most accurate way on a manual mill to find center is with an edge finder. Despite the basic nature of the tool it is incredibly accurate when done with some basic skill. If you do not know this then I suspect you need to do some more reading before hitting the on switch of a mill. This is basic stuff and for your own safety you should learn the ins and outs of running a mill.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Centering the tube on the mill

Thanks Drew. Yea, I think I am good on 1, 2 and 3. It didn't look to me like the right solution (a bit too easy), thus the question given my limited experience.