Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

I like the "checking a signal" shot. When we camp at Medicine Lodge Creek in Wyoming, I ride my mountain bike up a big hill to get a signal.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tsali : nectar single track
    Stupid campground 45 mins away but had hook ups. Will return, maybe for my retirement party in Oct.
    https://flic.kr/p/2pN8SUN
    https://flic.kr/p/2pN8SY5
    https://flic.kr/p/2pN6xAT
    https://flic.kr/p/2pN7Fqq
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're two weeks from leaving for Wyoming. My truck has new batteries that I installed, new fuel filters, oil and filter that I let the dealer do, and tire rotation. The trailer is ready, the only thing left other than packing is to dump some fresh water, I travel with 1/3 tank. I'll leave a day before my wife and drive to Moab, about 8 hours. While my wife and her dad are driving up with the horse trailer, I'll ride at Moab. We'll stay at the country fairgrounds which has power, water, and stalls for the horses. We'll head to Cheyenne the next day and stop at the fairgrounds and visit family in Loveland, CO. Then onward to Worland where we'll do some mowing and electrical checks before parking the trailer on our property. Our water comes from a frost free faucet, the lines to the septic were empty, as long as nothing made a home in the 100 amp panel, I'll turn on the power.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe Travels my friend. We all dig hearing what you are up to.

LOL The moving and encampment details read like a book ;) I've been at our Va spot for a week preparing for guests and shareholders. FWIIW For the past few years I've been working to get the forest, meadows and trails more organized. Removing invasives, planting warm meadow slopes, trail building etc. etc. etc. This is hard and satisfying work, but you know that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When we arrive in Wyoming, we rent a skid steer for the weekend. We get the mower, bucket, and auger attachments. I need to put up two more gates which involves 8" posts, and a fence line with 5" posts and 3" cross rails. We have a big pile of 3" posts that are 16' long. I have to buy the larger posts, but I'll cut the 16' posts for rails. I have the gates, but I'm modifying one opening to 16' with a 12' and 4' gate. The 4' is to move horses and allow me to ride out on my bike without messing with a big gate. We are house shopping this summer and when we relocate, I'll put a 200A box on the property with additional RV outlets. The lower terrace on our property has jumps and obstacles for equestrian events. People can bring their trailers and park on the upper terrace and have power, water, and a dump station. In 2022, the cabling I ran from the pole is 4/0 so as long as I have 180 amps or less potential loading, it will be good to go. I'm thinking 5, 30 amp outlets and a duplex GFCI outlet off a 20 amp breaker.

I'm looking forward to the drive. Going through Monument Valley never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill, I'm observing that many of the modern trailers are 50 amp. They are fine with 30 for the most part however it is a consideration. Similar here we provide 20 amp GFCI...which go bad on the regular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most of the midsize horse trailers with living quarters are still 30 amp. One of the behemoth triple axle trailers probably won't make it up the driveway without high centering. It's Wyoming, and the nights are still in the low 50s, even in July. I can run my trailer with the AC running off a 20 amp outlet, but trying to use the microwave simultaneously will trip the breaker. The problem with 50A is only having three off my 200A feed. I carry a 50/30 adapter and have used it a few times when the park's 30 amp outlet looked sketchy. Last summer, my 30 amp plug partially melted because of a high-resistance connection. I amazed my wife by having a new one in my box-o-parts and replaced it in about 30 minutes. I also had to replace my trailer plug last summer after I bent a tulip clip. I carry two new spares because the horse trailer uses the same plug.

I will pull out the generator, put a little Seafoam in the gas, and run it dry on Saturday. I'll change the oil, put new gas in it, and test it out. I'm taking the pancake compressor if I need to inflate a tire, seat a tubeless tire, or blow out the bug light.