Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

The Expidition is a vehicle I regularly see towing large Airstreams, it is capable.
    I'm biased to the Airstream, they are made to move. I've come up with a way to store two bicycles inside the trailer while towing and will not get in your way when parked if you are OK with having them in a simple (clean) bicycle bag with the wheels off. We have a 25' Flying Cloud and I *think that many of the smaller versions are the same interior width. Basically, you bag the bike and lay it down on one of the couches! Done. It is not in our way.
    I'm no fan of carrying anything off the frame of the trailer, they are not made for that.
    Lemme know if you need any help. At this point in the game I'm conversant in broke trailer stuff ;)
    BTW Brilliant thinking, you are going to love the community and lifestyle it brings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Haha Bill! I know you're from TX dude, but i believe the expedition is THE largest SUV you can buy! people carry a couple bikes in a honda fit (just sayin...).

seriously though, you're definitely overthinking the "carrying bikes" bit. work out the trailer that is the size and design you like and you'll find a place to put a bike or two when you travel, especially if you're travelling solo. there is always the roof.
    I ride 60cm bikes and the floor to ceiling in the rear of the Expedition isn't all that, even with the seatpost removed. Long term I'll probably get an F250 with a higher profile shell on the back for bikes. I'm currently seeing a woman in Flagstaff that has a nice Class A and a Tacoma she tows, she rides too.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I ride 60cm bikes and the floor to ceiling in the rear of the Expedition isn't all that, even with the seatpost removed. Long term I'll probably get an F250 with a higher profile shell on the back for bikes. I'm currently seeing a woman in Flagstaff that has a nice Class A and a Tacoma she tows, she rides too.
    Not familiar with the expedition but I can fit my 62 CM Hampsten in the back of my Yukon, back wheel first without messing with the seat post.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check on the Old Man truck shell but you had me at "I'm seeing a woman". Why are you wasting your time on a stupid internet forum?

Get on the classifieds at Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community There are all sorts of good deals. Me personally, knowing what I know now would not be skert to purchase a 15 year old Airstream if it had been well loved. Fixing Airstreams after they have been neglected is a non starter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Not familiar with the expedition but I can fit my 62 CM Hampsten in the back of my Yukon, back wheel first without messing with the seat post.

Mike
    Mike...ditch that Yukon and join me and the mini-van crowd.

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Check on the Old Man truck shell but you had me at "I'm seeing a woman". Why are you wasting your time on a stupid internet forum?

Get on the classifieds at Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community There are all sorts of good deals. Me personally, knowing what I know now would not be skert to purchase a 15 year old Airstream if it had been well loved. Fixing Airstreams after they have been neglected is a non starter.
    The woman is two hours away. I'm heading there this weekend to do some mountain biking and whatever else happens. It kind of works out for me, I'm doing a masters program so I can work on it all week after work and have free weekends. Good link, some folks are really proud of their airstreams.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The woman is two hours away. I'm heading there this weekend to do some mountain biking and whatever else happens. It kind of works out for me, I'm doing a masters program so I can work on it all week after work and have free weekends. Good link, some folks are really proud of their airstreams.
    I'm easy. If you go that direction give me a shout.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The local roads around the campground we are staying at totally suck for biking. On the plus side, the boating is fantastic.
    ricketsglencanoes.jpg
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy that looks great. Peaceful lakes and clear skies. You have doing it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Mike...ditch that Yukon and join me and the mini-van crowd.

getting ready to ditch the Yukon already. wife has a minivan and it checks a bunch of boxes. I'm way passed the cool factor. Also taking the bike to the VW dealer to look at the Tiguan. Not flashy but I'm looking at it for a "drive a long way vacations" when retirement comes in a few months. With a crate in the back for the dog the Hampsten may be consigned to trailer hitch.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike...my wife has a newer CRV and I inherited her Odyssey when it was time for my old Audi wagon to move on. On long road trips, we both like the van in terms of comfort, hauling volume and power. The CRV is a decent townie and short haul ride imho...much quieter, decent fuel consumption and easy to park. I don't know much about newer VW's and I've owned a few VW's and Audi's, but I'm officially done with German cars.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm easy. If you go that direction give me a shout.
    I like the woman's RV, this upcoming weekend we're going to make a short trip to some BLM land and spend a few nights off grid. We'll be adjacent to the National Forests so it'll be a hiking weekend and I'll get to see the logistics of that lifestyle. I'm still a fan of trailers over Class A, but the tow vehicle and carry bikes.

Unrelated, I stayed at the Luke AFB rec area in a cabin. It was my first road trip with the new Kuat hitch mount rack. NV 2.0 model, very nice with the built in cable locks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I inherited her Odyssey when it was time for my old Audi wagon to move on. On long road trips, we both like the van in terms of comfort, hauling volume and power.

could you elaborate about the Odyssey, as a camping van- I am leaning that way and would appreciate hearing your take

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more into this right now.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500$

too much for my tastes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done done done. We traded the Silver Surfer Airstream for one that has more headroom in the shower and alot more outside storage and (gosh) a lounge where we can rack out and read a book.
    When we began this misadventure a couple years ago we really were clueless what we needed. Now we know. It's kind like the adage you should never ride a friends motorcycle with more horsepower. Same deal for travel trailers, just don't step foot in anyone elses and you'll be happier for it.

PS - The fast fun car is sold. Guess where that went?

The new job has this floorplan: unit_tech_drawing_201707110523511325380755.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'm more into this right now.

My wife wants one of those sooo bad. They are neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

food.JPG
    Our version of roughing it. Tandoori chicken, local sweet corn, portobella mushrooms.... A few IPAs were consumed as well.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, congrats on the new home.

We dipped our toes in the pool 3 years ago, bought a used TT, bought a used F-250, and drove around the country. We had no idea what we were buying, but it ended up ok. A big part of the decision process was where to put the bikes, and we ended up with a cap on the truck and putting them there - secure, dry, out of the way.

I would like to get an Airstream (and I like the 26 footer), but my wife is addicted to slides, and we really like the rear kitchen in ours. BTW, our slide has been sticky lately, need to figure that out.

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot to recommend mini-vans for some mission profiles. Urban stealth camping, getting some kip at truck stops and such as that in support of travel and outdoor activities. I have mine rigged with bug screen for the windows, perimeter clothesline that doubles as a curtain line (using towels, some use reflexite or cardboard panels), tiny ultralight kitchen equip, water, pee container, cot or Thermarest, ice chest, small chair, stackable plastic bins for storage and wet beach gear, and small LED lights. 30 highway mpg, nobody gives it a second glance when parked sensibly in neighborhoods (technique is important), easy to drive and park. It has room for a couple of boards or bikes, or one of each with room for two to sleep, sit out foul weather and make simple meals and coffee. I've done this with a Toyota Sienna and a Dodge Grand Caravan but a Ram Promaster would be superbe at the expense of fuel efficiency.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets