Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Diesel and Gas are about the same price now. I paid $3.36 a gallon for midgrade unleaded today. Diesel was $3.58. I get 22 mpg without a trailer in my 2020 diesel F-250 and 12ish with just under 10,000 pounds of travel trailer. My wife gets similar mileage with her diesel 2500 while towing her gooseneck horse trailer with about 4,000 pounds of horses and gear, plus the trailer's weight. If we didn't have horses and a travel trailer, there'd be no need for a diesel pickup. Both trucks have completely stock tuning and emissions. We spend the summers in Wyoming, towing everything north from Arizona while avoiding interstates as much as possible. Oil changes are more, but I get mine done at the Ford dealer which typically has a "Works" coupon for $99. I get two oil changes yearly, with fuel filters (2) every other oil change. My wife's truck has almost 300K miles, and mine is approaching 100K. Will a gas truck go 300K miles?

My wife is an equestrian, and we travel to events all over Arizona, Wyoming, and Montana. You don't see any gas trucks at those events.
    Not where I live, we're still on winter additive for diesel and it now costs almost a dollar more, not including the cost of DEF.

And yes, a gasoline truck will go 300,000 miles and more if maintained. I have a Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 and they are known to go well over 300,000 miles; American-made 3/4 and 1-ton trucks are known to go over 300,000 miles, they're lighter 1/2 ton trucks are junk. I get 20 to 21 mpg with my truck, and about 12 with a 7,500 pound trailer, but it weighs more because it's loaded, but not sure how much that is. Your Ford has a 10,000-mile interval for oil changes, but my Tundra manual says 5,000 miles, my dealer says 7,500 with synthetic, and the dealer said as long as I don't use E85 fuel I can go to 7,500, but there's a oil service light that will come on when it detects the oil needs to be changed soon, but your truck holds 13 quarts of oil, mine holds 8. My truck is bone stock too, though I am considering putting in a freer-flowing exhaust system when mine needs replacing. I forgot, my truck is a 4x4 supposedly those get a bit worse mpg than 2x4s, and I have a double cab with a long bed, not sure if that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Not where I live, we're still on winter additive for diesel and it now costs almost a dollar more, not including the cost of DEF.

And yes, a gasoline truck will go 300,000 miles and more if maintained. I have a Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 and they are known to go well over 300,000 miles; American-made 3/4 and 1-ton trucks are known to go over 300,000 miles, they're lighter 1/2 ton trucks are junk. I get 20 to 21 mpg with my truck, and about 12 with a 7,500 pound trailer, but it weighs more because it's loaded, but not sure how much that is. Your Ford has a 10,000-mile interval for oil changes, but my Tundra manual says 5,000 miles, my dealer says 7,500 with synthetic, and the dealer said as long as I don't use E85 fuel I can go to 7,500, but there's a oil service light that will come on when it detects the oil needs to be changed soon, but your truck holds 13 quarts of oil, mine holds 8. My truck is bone stock too, though I am considering putting in a freer-flowing exhaust system when mine needs replacing. I forgot, my truck is a 4x4 supposedly those get a bit worse mpg than 2x4s, and I have a double cab with a long bed, not sure if that matters.
    DEF is a gallon for every 900 miles without a trailer and 400-500 miles per gallon with a trailer. The low DEF light comes on at 500 miles to empty. I spend about $60 a year on DEF. Oil changes are every 7500 miles per the manual, 5,000 if my truck was in AZ in the summer, but we're in Wyoming from May to September and miss the heat. My trailer is just under 10,000 pounds. I'm glad you're happy with your gas truck, and it sounds like it fits your needs; I like my diesel F-250, which is also 4X4, but it's an XLT work truck with cloth bench seats, four doors, and a short bed. The only thing special is the upgraded entertainment system. I also like the 34-gallon fuel tank. My wife's 2007 Chevy 2500 has an 18-gallon tank, so when we caravan both trucks with the travel and horse trailers to Wyoming, I fuel up every other stop.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tastes great less filling. OMG ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Heading to San Diego shortly on our first travel trailer trip of the year. The freshwater system is filled, flushed, and vented. The tires were at 70#, I pulled out the compressor and put them all back at 80#. One of the two propane bottles is empty, but the other one is full. The empty bottle was the one we used all last year.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer tire psi, correct?
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane lasts forever. Similar here Big Bill.

Well, if anyone is interested we are selling our 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 26 RBT (rear bedroom) also know as a "26 U". The trailer is in excellent shape with new tires and loads of upgrades. No leaks, no problems!!! PM me with your offer yo.

*If* we can find a buyer for our 2019 we have a possible deal on a slightly longer Airstream so help a brother out and buy our trailer.

Willing to deliver and teach you all the basics within a days driving distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Trailer tire psi, correct?
    Yup trailer tires at 80 per the sidewall. The new tires I bought last year were the same Goodyears as OEM. My truck is 65F/70R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All good on the trip. I even backed the trailer into the backyard on one try. We ran the A/C, television, water heater on gas and electric, and this morning before we left, I dumped and flushed the tanks. The black tank took a while to get clear. It was last flushed out in September at the KOA in Grand Junction. I think we're good for a May trip to Wyoming.

Speaking of Wyoming, we are considering moving there next summer. This part of AZ is just a wasteland of off-gridders and squatters on public lands. I love my teaching gig and my students, but I could do the same in Wyoming. We plan on leaving Wyoming in the winter from December to the beginning of March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Heading to San Diego shortly on our first travel trailer trip of the year. The freshwater system is filled, flushed, and vented. The tires were at 70#, I pulled out the compressor and put them all back at 80#. One of the two propane bottles is empty, but the other one is full. The empty bottle was the one we used all last year.
    80 psi? Are you absolutely sure your trailer says to use 80psi? Not talking about what the tires say, I'm talking about what the trailer recommends. The largest 16,000-pound trailers made only recommend 65 psi with special tires, most trailer tires are rated for 50 psi max. and most trailers recommend 45 to 55. 70 to 80 psi seems way too much, no trailer tire made allows for that much psi, nor is there any trailer that recommends that much in their owner manuals, if that psi you're using is not recommended by the trailer, it will cause more sway, less braking capability, faster tire wear, and the potential for a tire blowout. Don't take the word of some trailer repair place either, you should have a placard located inside near the entrance door frame, or inside a cabinet door that tells you how much PSI to use, as will the owner's manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    80 psi? Are you absolutely sure your trailer says to use 80psi? Not talking about what the tires say, I'm talking about what the trailer recommends. The largest 16,000-pound trailers made only recommend 65 psi with special tires, most trailer tires are rated for 50 psi max. and most trailers recommend 45 to 55. 70 to 80 psi seems way too much, no trailer tire made allows for that much psi, nor is there any trailer that recommends that much in their owner manuals, if that psi you're using is not recommended by the trailer, it will cause more sway, less braking capability, faster tire wear, and the potential for a tire blowout. Don't take the word of some trailer repair place either, you should have a placard located inside near the entrance door frame, or inside a cabinet door that tells you how much PSI to use, as will the owner's manual.
    I have had this trailer for a couple of years. I know where the tire pressure sticker is located on the trailer and it says 80 psi and the tires (Goodyear) say 80 psi. You are incorrect to say no trailer manufacturer recommends that much pressure because Jayco does. We drove to and from San Diego, mostly on I-8 which had high crosswinds and had no sway. 9,300 pounds of trailer and 7500 pounds of truck.