Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dang, did not know about the soap business or I missed that memo. ORDERED :) I'm a fan of Olive Oil soap.
    -J
    Me either, beat you to it by a day! Looking forward to trying.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Putting the order in the mail in the am. She put a bonus eucalyptus and tea tree bar in the box. I'm a fan of the peppermint scrub, especially after a ride.
    Gratitude my friend.

Speaking of horses. I met a very old endurance horse yesterday. Sweet old gal who has retired and is gently ridden on local trails. I like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gratitude my friend.

Speaking of horses. I met a very old endurance horse yesterday. Sweet old gal who has retired and is gently ridden on local trails. I like that.
    The new thing for riders who no longer want to jump barriers is working equitation. It starts with dressage, then an obstacle course to demonstrate ease of handling, then a simplified course for speed. My wife is level 4 and qualified for regionals in Montana in September.

In the nomadic world, I bought all the electrical stuff yesterday to build a box with a 30 amp RV outlet and a 20 amp duplex GFI outlet. It's a 100 amp box so I can add another 30 amp later. I measured the height of the septic inlet and I have a proper slope to dump the trailer. With the water table around here, the inlet is 14" above the ground. Once I get the remaining lines installed, it will all get buried. We are the mound builders of the twenty-first century.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A shameless plug for Bill’s wife. Soap arrived and it started a minor spat between my wife and I about which one to try first.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone thinking about buying a trailer, my advice is get the smallest one possible. I just spent all day washing, waxing, and detailing our trailer. I wax it once a year and I always forget how long it actually takes.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    For anyone thinking about buying a trailer, my advice is get the smallest one possible. I just spent all day washing, waxing, and detailing our trailer. I wax it once a year and I always forget how long it actually takes.
    and it looks mah-velous. Dan speaks from the true experiences. These trailers require as much love as a puppy, except they never slow down. The need/want is constant but so than is a bicycle ;)

For the true believers please turn away. Twice a year I use a pressure washer to clean the trailer. I'm mindful not to directly spray seams and caulking. After the spray I do what Dan does...labor away ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and it looks mah-velous. Dan speaks from the true experiences. These trailers require as much love as a puppy, except they never slow down. The need/want is constant but so than is a bicycle ;)

For the true believers please turn away. Twice a year I use a pressure washer to clean the trailer. I'm mindful not to directly spray seams and caulking. After the spray I do what Dan does...labor away ;)
    Just skin it over with carbon fiber sheets. Simple.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll wash the trailer after we return in September. We live in the trailer for about four months in the summer, so I periodically go over everything, including seals, seams, and mystery water drips. I spray the seals with conditioner when we retract the slides. As a 6'1" and 6'3" couple, we like our 33' trailer.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Just skin it over with carbon fiber sheets. Simple.
    Hmm, a Crumpton Airstream. I somehow sort of like that idea.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the wait time for that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The irrational pull to this thing is strong. Very strong. Want!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the wait time for that?
    Coming to a campground near you.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    The irrational pull to this thing is strong. Very strong. Want!

They evidently have a Cummins diesel in there. https://www.airstream.com/blog/an-in...rhome-odyssey/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super convenient to drop a trailer and have your truck to bop around. Those class a’s are not good grocery-getters. And stock it’s a gasser I think, could be wrong. The one above was converted at jeebus $$$’s.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the dream is a nightmare. Too many people get caught up in the romance of restoring old trailers. At the end of your rainbow will be a new-old trailer with old (restored) appliances and cramped spaces.

#bubblebursting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Coming to a campground near you.

You better have a plug-in for the AC if you're rocking a black trailer. Trailers are usually light-colored for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We originally got a truck camper to accommodate pulling a horse trailer. Now that we've sold the horses, we're free to decide on a camping vehicle that might work better for us. This is what we've settled on. It's a 2023 Winnebago Travato 59K. For my wife and I, both 5'8 and our little Norwich Terrier, it will be the perfect vehicle for touring state parks and other points of interest across the country. I considered a Mercedes model but I'm just not a diesel guy.

59K.jpg
    I love this bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They evidently have a Cummins diesel in there. https://www.airstream.com/blog/an-in...rhome-odyssey/
    I know where a trailer version of one of those is being restored to sell, it has 3 axle rear, it's 37 feet long, and it looked in good shape even before the restoration will be done, but the clear coat gel was coming off, so they are stripping it and polishing the metal, plus doing some interior work. Not sure of the pull weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post
    We originally got a truck camper to accommodate pulling a horse trailer. Now that we've sold the horses, we're free to decide on a camping vehicle that might work better for us. This is what we've settled on. It's a 2023 Winnebago Travato 59K. For my wife and I, both 5'8 and our little Norwich Terrier, it will be the perfect vehicle for touring state parks and other points of interest across the country. I considered a Mercedes model but I'm just not a diesel guy.

59K.jpg
    Diesel in the long run will cost more money to operate. Diesel averages about 75 cents a gallon more in the warm months, but come the colder months it goes up to about $1.50 more per gallon. And of course maintenance and repair cost more money than a gas engine. Diesel engines will however last longer but the external hang on mechanical parts will fail, and that's what cost a lot of money to repair. That rig is nice looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Diesel in the long run will cost more money to operate. Diesel averages about 75 cents a gallon more in the warm months, but come the colder months it goes up to about $1.50 more per gallon. And of course maintenance and repair cost more money than a gas engine. Diesel engines will however last longer but the external hang on mechanical parts will fail, and that's what cost a lot of money to repair. That rig is nice looking.
    I'm not sure where you're getting your data, but the US Energy Information Administration (eia.gov) shows .15 to .25 difference. Personal experience from being a two-diesel pickup family supports those numbers as well. My F250 with the Powerstroke 6.7 gets 22 mpg when I'm not towing. I won't get that with a gas-powered 3/4 ton pickup. With a Jayco 33' travel trailer, I can maintain the speed limit on steep climbs and avoid using pullouts that present their own kind of hazards. I understand the costs, and I'm getting an oil change and fuel filter replacement on Thursday that will run about $250. For parts hanging on, everything is heavy duty, and if you follow the factory maintenance schedule, they should last as long as the engine. My wife's Chevy 2500 with a duramax 6.6 has 280K miles. I've replaced drive pulleys on the engine and batteries.