Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    The '76 GMC I drove in high school (yes I have a pattern) was modified this way. I bought it from my grandpa, and he towed the largest fifth wheel trailer he could with that truck. It rode stiffer than my dad's truck (same year and model) and ran high revs on the highway. On the plus side, the mileage didn't change when it was loaded down with gravel, but it was only 10mpg.
    Early last year, we found a 1991 F350 dually that had a straight body and a nice interior. It was going to be my father-in-law's truck. The motor was questionable, so we paid $3500 and then spent another $7K on a new (jasper) motor. The original motor was a 351W with a four-speed auto. I was surprised, I had assumed a one-ton would have a 460. It was good to go after I replaced a significant portion of the wiring harness, headlight and wiper switches, and a bunch of exterior lights. My FIL is an 80-year-old retired trucker and feedlot cowboy. He had it painted silver with black trim and added a diamond deck toolbox. I've driven it and there's plenty of power, probably due to the gearing. But, no matter what you're doing with it, you can almost see the gas gage moving when you drive. Good thing it has dual tanks.

I drove a 63 Chevy stepside in high school. The guy I bought it from had put a 396 with a four speed in it which required a feather-like touch on the clutch to not spin the rear tires. I sold it to a local plumber who still uses it to pull a trailer for lawn sprinkler jobs.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Descending is less nerve-wracking with a big heavy truck with 4-wheel disc brakes and good engine braking.
    And that's the key, isn't it? I was very happy I got a bigger truck (F-250) when we went up - and down - New Priest Grade Rd in CA, going to Groveland, kinda near Yosemite. CA is very good providing turnouts on roads like this. A true test, going down that road was a piece o' cake, thanks to the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've had a rash of check engine lights this summer that would eventually clear. The performance and mileage of my 6.7 Powerstroke were satisfactory, with no issues with loss of power, and all the meters/gages usually read. I finally bought a handheld reader to check the codes. Everything pointed to emissions, so I looked at O2 sensors and perhaps a new catalytic converter. Then a letter from Ford arrived. There is a recall on my truck, and the symptoms are exactly what I'm experiencing. Now I need to schedule time at a dealer to reprogram the ECM. The closest dealer is Riverton or Cody; both are 90+ minutes away. Ford says it's okay to drive.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I've had a rash of check engine lights this summer that would eventually clear. The performance and mileage of my 6.7 Powerstroke were satisfactory, with no issues with loss of power, and all the meters/gages usually read. I finally bought a handheld reader to check the codes. Everything pointed to emissions, so I looked at O2 sensors and perhaps a new catalytic converter. Then a letter from Ford arrived. There is a recall on my truck, and the symptoms are exactly what I'm experiencing. Now I need to schedule time at a dealer to reprogram the ECM. The closest dealer is Riverton or Cody; both are 90+ minutes away. Ford says it's okay to drive.
    It's all part of the game big man. No breed of vehicle is exempt.

In other news we are alot closer to getting our dream tow vehicle. Just recently GM began taking orders for 2024 Vans with the big (6.6L) engine and 10spd trans. These vans are notoriously good for towing due to weight/balance. However the best and most reason for a van will be ability to roll our tandems and singles straight into the van out of sight and secure without excessive gymnastics.

The "trick" to actually getting the van is finding a dealer who has allocation(s) to write the order.

But wait there is more. We are mimicking Dan to send the van to get retro-fitted with 4WD. We think it is rude to copy Dan exactly so we will install chrome sidepipes with electric cut outs ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It's all part of the game big man. No breed of vehicle is exempt.

In other news we are alot closer to getting our dream tow vehicle. Just recently GM began taking orders for 2024 Vans with the big (6.6L) engine and 10spd trans. These vans are notoriously good for towing due to weight/balance. However the best and most reason for a van will be ability to roll our tandems and singles straight into the van out of sight and secure without excessive gymnastics.

The "trick" to actually getting the van is finding a dealer who has allocation(s) to write the order.

But wait there is more. We are mimicking Dan to send the van to get retro-fitted with 4WD. We think it is rude to copy Dan exactly so we will install chrome sidepipes with electric cut outs ;)
    At equestrian events, you get to see just about every version of a large truck or SUV used to haul trailers. Most trailers are gooseneck, but for the bumper pull crowd, I've seen several 6.6 Duramax Vans and Suburbans. The tens speeds are wonderful; both Ford and Chevy are using the same Allison transmission. The ten-speed really shines on steep descents where you are engine braking. The smaller increments between gears mean you can find your happy spot and really minimize braking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Y'all havin' a nice day?

xxoo
    What did I say that made you say that?

I always have a great day...at least 99% of the time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    What did I say that made you say that?

I always have a great day...at least 99% of the time!
    Don't take it wrong, I'm joking. That's what I say when people talk TRUCKS at campgrounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a chance to drive a new Silverado 3/4 ton with the 6.6 gas and the 10 speed transmission. It makes for an impressive combination. From memory my 1/2 ton GMC that I had with a 6.2 felt quicker. It made similar HP and torque to the new 6.6 but was in a much lighter truck. I'm sure hooking up a trailer to both would give the 3/4 ton with the 6.6 the advantage and would be the better tow vehicle.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    I got a chance to drive a new Silverado 3/4 ton with the 6.6 gas and the 10 speed transmission. It makes for an impressive combination. From memory my 1/2 ton GMC that I had with a 6.2 felt quicker. It made similar HP and torque to the new 6.6 but was in a much lighter truck. I'm sure hooking up a trailer to both would give the 3/4 ton with the 6.6 the advantage and would be the better tow vehicle.
    The newest gas engines really close the gap to diesel. A diesel will produce more torque, but that becomes less important if you aren't pulling a trailer at the limit of the truck's capability. My wife's truck is a 16-year-old Chevy 2500 with a 6.6 Duramax engine. It is approaching 300K miles which can be attributed to the engine, but I've pulled our 33' travel trailer with her truck from western Colorado to northern AZ. I prefer my truck over hers, but my truck is 13 years newer and IMO, the transmission is the big difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PSA. If you have a Ford Superduty 2020 or newer with a 6.7L Powerstroke and 10-speed transmission, you will likely get a recall letter from Ford for an emissions issue. I was having random warnings and check engine lights that would clear. When I read the codes, most came up with NOX sensor. Ford erred in some programming, and the recall was to upload the correct files to the PCM and TCM. The power plant update fixed my random light issues and annoying things, such as the dash display changing each time I started the truck. The transmission module update changes the transmission based on what Ford (and Chevy, same transmission) has learned since introducing it in 2020. It is like a new truck. I had accepted that it was a Super Duty, and therefore the shifts might be a little harsh especially the downshifts. No more; this thing drives like a mid-70s Cadillac.

I'm assuming that the folks who bought the 7.3 gas Super Duty will get the transmission update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a '21 F250 with the 7.3 gasser and 10 speed trans. I've had no issues with shifting to date. I can't say it drives like a 70s Caddy, but it shifts better than my old F150.
    But since we're no longer pulling a horse trailer or hauling a truck camper, it's really more truck than I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post
    I've got a '21 F250 with the 7.3 gasser and 10 speed trans. I've had no issues with shifting to date. I can't say it drives like a 70s Caddy, but it shifts better than my old F150.
    But since we're no longer pulling a horse trailer or hauling a truck camper, it's really more truck than I need.
    I had no issues with shifting; it's just a software update to the transmission control module.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're packing up to take the trailer back to Arizona tomorrow. Grand Junction is about halfway, so I'll stop there on Monday afternoon. Mesa County Fairgrounds has full hookups for $32. I'm not a fan of the drive between here (Worland, WY) and Rawlins. Wind River Canyon is incredible, but that's about it. The drive from I-80 to I-70 at Rifle is pleasant. I-70 between Rifle and Grand Junction along the Colorado River is a nice drive. I go about 300 miles between fill-ups with the F250, so tomorrow, I will have two fuel stops. My DEF is full; I won't need to fill it again for a month. I'll drive through Moab, Monticello, and Bluff on Tuesday to Monument Valley. Monticello has a nice Exxon with pull-through pumps with gas and diesel. Very cool for RV'rs. I can go nonstop to Flagstaff from there. It looks like much of Tuesday will be driving in the rain. I get on I-40 at Flagstaff and exit in Seligman to take old Rt66 home. Cat is my co-pilot. The Coconino MTB will ride on the rack. I cleaned and lubed the chain in case it gets rained on. Otherwise, it gets a new bottom bracket when I get home. The Open will ride in the trailer because it has AXS.

Here is our final setup for the summer in Wyoming. Our septic tank is partially above ground because of the water table. It doesn't help that we back up to a large irrigation canal. The pipe to the tank is about 18" above the ground, so I built some wooden boxes to support the pipe. The boxes are filled with gravel. I was very careful with the pipe angle, which flushes out when I dump tanks. The pipe is exposed to freezing weather, but we aren't here in the winter, so it will be empty. The power panel has a 100 Amp box, a 30 Amp breaker feeding the RV outlet, and a 20 Amp feeding a duplex GFCI outlet. I'll turn the power off at the pole. We have city water with a frost-free faucet, which supplies the trailer with good enough water pressure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a tidy setup Big Man. Be safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have experience with small trailers? Teardrop trailers? Specifically the Vistabule?

https://vistabule.com

I’m going to try to visit their facility soon. It’s not a giant travel trailer but seems to pack a punch above tenting. It’s available with heating, AC, propane kitchen, electrical system, etc.

It’ll fit in my garage and I can tow it with my car. A friend has one on order and now I can’t stop watching YT videos about it and visiting their website.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not familiar with that brand but it looks like a well made unit. Consider it a gateway drug to an Airstream.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    I'm not familiar with that brand but it looks like a well made unit. Consider it a gateway drug to an Airstream.
    I’d love an Airstream. I’m not sure it’s in my budget!

I’d need a storage place and a tow vehicle. But yeah, the appeal of an Airstream is strong.

Agreed on the perceived build quality. Each of these Vistabule trailers is made to order and appears to be built to a quality point, not a price point. They’re not inexpensive given the relatively small size.

I’m not going boondocking I don’t think. I’m more interested in state parks or national parks, both with some level of facilities. I’d also like an electrical hookup for the trailer and to keep my car charged. I have one of those…. But it will tow a Vistabule legally and with ease, albeit with a range penalty of course. I love that this particular trailer will fit in my garage.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-11-2023 at 11:51 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the obvious quality, I love the kitchen setup.

That's a winner bub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short ditty. $35K trailer with all the options. We looked at a zillion cheapo wooden frame hunks of trailer and then Airstream, a 19' was 100k. We built ours for a little more than half that and it has plenty of room to cook, sleep, lounge, and carry 4 bikes. No internal shower (external) and a removable toilet so no black water tank. Ours is 6k Lbs and we use an F250 like Bill's to pull it. 13mpg towing. I'm not sure that a Tesla can pull that buggy, maybe it can. I like ours and plan to keep it for awhile, the only caveat is how much our new house is going to bury us for. We might need the extra dough, which would be a shame. Camping is great, and we spent hundreds of nights in tents with a drag behind trailer to hold bikes, and some comforts. I am 6'2" and need a King size bed. That lil thing would drive me nutz.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Short ditty. $35K trailer with all the options. We looked at a zillion cheapo wooden frame hunks of trailer and then Airstream, a 19' was 100k. We built ours for a little more than half that and it has plenty of room to cook, sleep, lounge, and carry 4 bikes. No internal shower (external) and a removable toilet so no black water tank. Ours is 6k Lbs and we use an F250 like Bill's to pull it. 13mpg towing. I'm not sure that a Tesla can pull that buggy, maybe it can. I like ours and plan to keep it for awhile, the only caveat is how much our new house is going to bury us for. We might need the extra dough, which would be a shame. Camping is great, and we spent hundreds of nights in tents with a drag behind trailer to hold bikes, and some comforts. I am 6'2" and need a King size bed. That lil thing would drive me nutz.
    I am 6’ tall and the futon is queen sized when folded down. I can’t do a big trailer for a number of reasons, at least not at this point in my life.

From what I’ve seen it’s great for cooking and sleeping but you need more and my favorite YouTuber on this subject uses a Clam shelter that was modified to fit over the galley area of his trailer, effectively providing him with an enclosed space with some shelter from the elements. An outdoor living room of sorts. The trailer is basically a sleeping area that’s enclosed and off the ground, IOW, nicer than tenting at this point in my life. I’m only now seeing some of the bug bites and welts of 8 nights of camping at RAGBRAI start to fade. Seriously. It can be had with heat and A/C to make it a true 3-season option.

Clearly something of this size will have compromises but given what it has, its apparent quality (very important to me), the fact that it’ll fit in my garage and can be towed by my Model Y makes it a very interesting proposition. My car is rated for 3500 lbs towing IIRC and comes equipped with a 7-pin electrical hookup for lighting and the electric brakes available on the trailer. I would expect about a 30-40% efficiency hit pulling this trailer, depending on speed, elevation change and ambient conditions.
    La Cheeserie!