User Tag List

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Just use whatever Toyota calls for. Not Amsoil synthetic. Buy the fluid from your dealer.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple points:

-Amsoil has always been slimy with their advertising. If you listen to their sales copy they "exceed" every spec in the world, but have submitted their oils to very few testing houses to actually be tested. They claim their engineers independently verify that they would meet the specs. That doesnt fly IMO.

-All OEMs will have a spec for their various fluids, and it's fine, and sometimes advantageous to use aftermarket fluids as long as they actually meet the spec. BMW/VW guys see this as somewhat of a religion. I was deep in the weeds on this years ago.

-You MUST select the proper differential fluid based on what the oem calls for and what kind of diff you have. You dont want a fluid with friction modifiers additive in a clutch type locking diff, for example, or you will have major problems.

-I think 90k for a truck that tows often is too many miles between changes. Based on a quick search this is what Toyota seems to recommend. Be curious to hear what you see when you drain the fluid and what's on the magnetic drain plug, if it has one....

Inspect your rear diff every 15,000 miles or 18 months. If severe, replace the oil every 15,000 miles or 18 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Yikes.
    Yea, based on my experience I would say 15k intervals would be way too conservative, and toyota engineering is probably a little "tighter" than the American steel I'm used to working on so you're probably fine, but I wouldnt wait too much longer :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Yea, based on my experience I would say 15k intervals would be way too conservative, and toyota engineering is probably a little "tighter" than the American steel I'm used to working on so you're probably fine, but I wouldnt wait too much longer :)
    This helps as well: https://www.tundras.com/threads/tund...nce-guide.315/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The service intervals on my Kubota tractors are expensively frequent but I follow their guidelines. Better safe than sorry.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    The service intervals on my Kubota tractors are expensively frequent but I follow their guidelines. Better safe than sorry.
    As if this thread drift hasn't gone far enough I'll cannonball this sucker.

I got to run a Kubota backhoe for a couple weeks this summer. Maaaan that's a fine piece of equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L-48 won’t take no for an answer.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove and operated this for a number of years...
    Attachment 122738
    Nothing quite gets your attention like trying to make a lift and suddenly looking straight at the ground while the front end is pointed at the clouds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I drove and operated this for a number of years...
    Attachment 122738
    Nothing quite gets your attention like trying to make a lift and suddenly looking straight at the ground while the front end is pointed at the clouds.

People like you need to learn to boom down a bit more gently ;) The worst day of my life was driving something similar one of these. Basically a truck with a drill rig...driver in front, operator/sadist in back. I still have a headache;)
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-06-2023 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

People like you need to learn to boom down a bit more gently ;) The worst day of my life was driving one of these:
    Boom down had nothing to do with it. When the guy giving the signals says line up, it's line up, gotta trust him, even if the load feels too heavy.

I eventually bid off that job, a job I really enjoyed that could be a mite dangerous, because they made a man the foreman who had no experience doing that kind of work, couldn't find his ass with two hands and wouldn't take advice, or even listen to it, from anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Boom down had nothing to do with it. When the guy giving the signals says line up, it's line up, gotta trust him, even if the load feels too heavy.

I eventually bid off that job, a job I really enjoyed that could be a mite dangerous, because they made a man the foreman who had no experience doing that kind of work, couldn't find his ass with two hands and wouldn't take advice, or even listen to it, from anyone.
    LOL I get it. My "initiation", you may enjoy, at the mine was telling me to walk out and grease the boom point on our large Marion Dragline. The guys were howling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I drove around 5 hours yesterday to reach Catalina State Park just north of Tucson. Having the truck only squat an inch made a huge difference in handling. We traveled down in a group with me and my google maps on point. My wife pulled the big horse trailer with Syndicate and Valentino, and another friend had his horse trailer with two mares. I'll do a trail ride tomorrow (on a horse), but I brought a road bike and my gravel bike with slicks. Later this morning, I'm heading to Saguaro NP on the east side to ride the paved loop.

Photos, the two closest horses are ours. The dark thoroughbred is Tino, and the red is Syd. Tina is a former racehorse that had adapted well to eventing but is still a handful during dressage. Syd is a lifetime horse after being purchased off a kill lot for $400 about five years ago. My wife is showing both horses plus one of the mares in a Working Equitation event on Sunday. Syd usually wins his class; Tino is still a handful but gets better all the time.

Campsites are accessible here, either back-in or pull-through, with no length limit. Water and power (30/50) with a dump station on the way out. I backed in (F250, 33" bumper pull) with no issues and room for another vehicle in front of the truck. The guy across the way has a similar trailer but pulled it with a half-ton that was dragging ass; not sure how they got through the dips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I postponed going to pick up the T4 until the weather that is turning California into a mosh pit moves through and my son returns to college. The seller is amenable, which is nice. A fireperson who puts a premium on safety. I take the forecast seriously. Riding out the last storm in Bolinas was fun, but things started to fly around and it looks like more of the same is on the way. Highway 1 out of Stinson was closed as was Bolinas/Fairfax. I’d have had a look/see on my bike, but I expect there’s a mess to clean up in many places along the coast.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On this trip we learned about running lights under the RV. In this part of the country, pack rats will get under your trailer and chew up the wiring. If you string lights, such as LED rope lights, under your RV, it keeps pack rats away. I think this mostly applies to people spending weeks at a time, but I got some lights anyway. About half of the RVs in this section of Catalina SP have them. It doesn't seem to affect our dark sky viewing.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    On this trip we learned about running lights under the RV. In this part of the country, pack rats will get under your trailer and chew up the wiring. If you string lights, such as LED rope lights, under your RV, it keeps pack rats away. I think this mostly applies to people spending weeks at a time, but I got some lights anyway. About half of the RVs in this section of Catalina SP have them. It doesn't seem to affect our dark sky viewing.
    That explains some things. I thought folks had these for purely festive reasons. Bill, I learn things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never knew that under lights served a practical purpose. I always thought they were just another way to spend money on your trailer.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    I never knew that under lights served a practical purpose. I always thought they were just another way to spend money on your trailer.
    Are you talking about a pickup truck right? :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I would have thought rodents chewing on exposed wiring would be a much bigger concern during longer term storage or idle periods? What to do during those times? How much stuff is there to chew on down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I would have thought rodents chewing on exposed wiring would be a much bigger concern during longer term storage or idle periods? What to do during those times? How much stuff is there to chew on down there?
    It's mostly the snowbirds who stay for two weeks at a time. One or two nights is probably safe, but I liked the look, and a 48' string of lights was $25. I'll coil them up and put them in a compartment this morning when we pack up.