User Tag List

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Diesel tow vehicle here at the campground...

"pulls like a champ"

Castaways 2022 September 8-15th by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big man, the standard acceptable practice for sanitizing the drinking water system in trailers is to use Clorox as you say. You will not need much to do the deed. I use about 1/2 cup in a full tank and run all the spigots / showers etc. than flush a couple times and good.

Be sure to close the bypass valve on your water heater prior to running bleach thru the system. Plain old clorox is what you want avoiding any that have additional "stuff".

I agree with this process: https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-simple-steps/

FWIIW Keeping your fresh water tank full is a good call during periods of non-use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least where I live the cost of diesel fuel is $1.69 a gallon higher than gasoline, and that doesn't even include the cost of DEF. That price gouging is another reason not to buy diesel. Not to mention the much higher cost to maintain a diesel rig, and higher repairs than gasoline trucks.

And Electric trucks is a joke, when towing the range on the best electric truck is only 75 to 125 miles before needing to recharge it. How long is that going to take you to go camping 1,000 miles from home while the kids are all screaming: "are we there yet? are we there yet?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    At least where I live the cost of diesel fuel is $1.69 a gallon higher than gasoline, and that doesn't even include the cost of DEF. That price gouging is another reason not to buy diesel. Not to mention the much higher cost to maintain a diesel rig, and higher repairs than gasoline trucks.

And Electric trucks is a joke, when towing the range on the best electric truck is only 75 to 125 miles before needing to recharge it. How long is that going to take you to go camping 1,000 miles from home while the kids are all screaming: "are we there yet? are we there yet?"
    It's about a dollar higher here. I use the fuel buddy app when we travel. Regarding DEF, it is about $12 for a 2.5-gallon box. Normal driving without a trailer, I use about a gallon of DEF for every thousand miles. The use goes up when you're towing. Other than the occasional hassle of filling the DEF tank, mine is 7.5 gallons; it's not a cost thing. Most larger travel stops have DEF pumps next to the diesel pumps. Diesel oil changes cost more; I usually pay around $160 for Rotella every 7500 miles. Diesel tow better, more horsepower and torque. Engine braking, especially with a modern diesel with a ten speed, makes descending steep grades less stressful.

My truck had a catastrophic fuel pump failure requiring replacement of the entire fuel system. Ford is performing the repairs under warranty. The motor has a 100K mile warranty. Diesels cost more and I wouldn't have one if I wasn't towing a 33' trailer. I looked at a GMC 1500 with the 6.2L V8, but the max towing package changes the rear end gears and beefs up the rear suspension. Without a trailer, you'd be lucky to see 15 mpg in that truck. My Powerstroke F250 gets 21 mpg without a trailer. About 13mpg with.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spent a few days on the Outer Banks. One 55 mi ride south on Hwy 12 not to be repeated. Visited Ocracoke on Sun that was quite nice. 11 mpg in the diesel, and everything worked on the camper this time so maybe the learning curve is shortening. Poured on us one night, keeping the tradition of being rained upon at least once during every trailer trip we've taken. Probably one and done for the OB for us. Much better riding opps elsewhere.
    IMG_1314 by Clyde the Pointer, on FlickrIMG_1311 by Clyde the Pointer, on FlickrIMG_0949 by Clyde the Pointer, on FlickrIMG_1306 by Clyde the Pointer, on Flickr
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you Tim. OB is not bicycle friendly. Off season I think it could be magic. Check out Cape Henlopen, DE. We will be there for T-Day. Very nice park, close to water and easy bicycle riding.

Diesel for Big Bill is an easy call. That trailer is huge and not light he made the right call. Curiously, our next tow vehicle will be a GM Van with a 6.6 gas engine and a custom 4X4 package. This is way more HP/Torque than we need but more important is that we can roll the tandem inside out of the elements and secure. I'm a bit upset that my image as a truck drivin' man will be diminished some ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We enjoyed the Outer Banks a few years ago on a camping trip but not for the cycling.

I would hold out just a tiny bit more before you order that van. GM announced changes to their HD trucks yesterday. They are finally updating the 6 speed transmission in the 6.6 gas motor with a new 10 speed. These will officially be 2024 models available next spring / summer. No word if they will make the same changes to the vans but I would hold off just a little bit more to find out.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    We enjoyed the Outer Banks a few years ago on a camping trip but not for the cycling.

I would hold out just a tiny bit more before you order that van. GM announced changes to their HD trucks yesterday. They are finally updating the 6 speed transmission in the 6.6 gas motor with a new 10 speed. These will officially be 2024 models available next spring / summer. No word if they will make the same changes to the vans but I would hold off just a little bit more to find out.
    I hear yah, appreciate that. FWIIW All the reports I read about future Van production indicate GM gas vans are going out of business after 2023???? This, apparently, is their push to E work vans.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-27-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I hear you Tim. OB is not bicycle friendly. Off season I think it could be magic. Check out Cape Henlopen, DE. We will be there for T-Day. Very nice park, close to water and easy bicycle riding.

Diesel for Big Bill is an easy call. That trailer is huge and not light he made the right call. Curiously, our next tow vehicle will be a GM Van with a 6.6 gas engine and a custom 4X4 package. This is way more HP/Torque than we need but more important is that we can roll the tandem inside out of the elements and secure. I'm a bit upset that my image as a truck drivin' man will be diminished some ;)
    Some friends bought a one ton sprinter van to pull a 5000 pound trailer. Once we build our shop/house in Wyoming this spring, we may look at downsizing the trailer since it won't be "home" for months at a time. I'm trying to convince the CEO that we'd be better served with a high-capacity sprinter and a mid-sized Airstream. Sprinters have a high capacity plus decent towing.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I hear yah, appreciate that. FWIIW All the reports I read about future Van production indicate GM gas vans are going out of business after 2023???? This, apparently, is their push to E work vans.
    I wonder how well the E-Silverado will sell? It will be interesting to see as the ambitious drive to sell more EVs and when typical actual working people will adopt EV. I just dont see the landscapers, masons, carpenters of the world jumping in on electric just yet. Would really simplify maintenance though I suppose. E-Silverado boasting up to 20k# towing capacity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I wonder how well the E-Silverado will sell? It will be interesting to see as the ambitious drive to sell more EVs and when typical actual working people will adopt EV. I just dont see the landscapers, masons, carpenters of the world jumping in on electric just yet. Would really simplify maintenance though I suppose. E-Silverado boasting up to 20k# towing capacity.
    EV trucks make sense for local trades such as plumbing, heating, and AC. A company has to invest in the vehicles and company infrastructure to charge them. Frankly, it requires capital which many independent guys don't have. I could also see farmers with EVs since they'd have opportunities to charge during the day.

Regarding towing, I think a reasonable distance is still to come. I can easily go 400 miles towing an 8600-pound trailer in my F250. That is 5+ hours at a time that only requires a 15-minute fillup before another 5 hours.

The engineer in me would like to see an electrical combo unit, EV truck with a powered travel trailer. It would add weight, but if a trailer could provide part of it's propulsion, you would increase the range of the truck. That would allow RV folks to travel to a location, drop the trailer, and explore in their EV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My truck will be done tomorrow. The entire fuel system was replaced, beginning at the fuel tank. The fuel tank was flushed out. The hood struts were also replaced as well as some incomplete recalls. Ford is paying for it all. I've been driving my wife's 15-year-old Chevy 2500 and have missed my truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My truck will be done tomorrow. The entire fuel system was replaced, beginning at the fuel tank. The fuel tank was flushed out. The hood struts were also replaced as well as some incomplete recalls. Ford is paying for it all. I've been driving my wife's 15-year-old Chevy 2500 and have missed my truck.
    As a die-hard chevy guy, I'd call the old 2500 an upgrade :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As a die-hard chevy guy, I'd call the old 2500 an upgrade :)
    I'd buy a newer 2500 in a heartbeat; they're great trucks. She has put 275K miles on it, and other than a fuel injection problem two years ago, it's been a beast. It gets new glow plugs next week. My truck is 2020 with a ten-speed transmission (new GMs have the same transmission), and having towed the travel trailer long distances with both trucks, advances have been made in drivetrains in the past decade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advancements do not replace character :)

(i hope you know i'm just joking around here :))

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

(i hope you know i'm just joking around here :))
    I do. I initially sought out a GMC 2500, red with lots of chrome. The F250 I bought checked all my boxes, it was a 2020 model, so it was ten-speed, had the diesel, and was 4x4. The interior has no frills and a bench seat with a fold-down armrest. I got it at a decent price with lowish miles.

I've been a Ford guy; I still have the 67 Mustang I bought the week I graduated high school in 1983. I've had a few F150s that were reliable. If I were to buy a lottery ticket and win big, I would order an optioned-out F-450 to pull the fifth wheel triple axle toy hauler RV I'd buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The F250 is back. We're planning trips for the fall between the classes we teach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The F250 is back. We're planning trips for the fall between the classes we teach.
    Nice. In this day of backlogs and supply chain shortages in all areas, I think you did OK.

Where is your son at these days Bill? Someplace fun to visit perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice. In this day of backlogs and supply chain shortages in all areas, I think you did OK.

Where is your son at these days Bill? Someplace fun to visit perhaps?
    I'm happy to have it back. After my MTB ride this afternoon, I spent some time cleaning out the bed and cab. The truck was a time capsule back to the time it broke down.

My son is attending TBS at Quantico until March. His next duty station is supposed to be flight school in Pensacola, but big Navy/Marines are trying to deal with a significant backlog of aviation candidates. Some are waiting a year before starting classes. A year in Pensacola, the horror. He's a Marine, and there is discussion of sending candidates to squadrons while they are waiting to start school. He is leaning towards C-130s, and the only decent place for visiting is Miramar in the San Diego area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We were at Grand Canyon all weekend, supporting some friends hiking rim to rim via the Kaibab and Bright Angel trails. I have been to the South Rim dozens of times but never to the North Rim. We moved a car to the north side and spent some time exploring. Here is what we saw; the North Rim has fewer people, more opportunities for RVs and travel trailers, excellent infrastructure for gravel and mountain biking, and lush pine forests dotted with aspens. The road to the park from Hwy 89A has several RV parks with hookups. Much of the park at the North Rim is above 8,000 feet, so the nights are cool. The park is only fully open from May 15th to October 15th, so reservations inside the park are sometimes tough, but there are opportunities outside the park. Lee's Ferry is about an hour away and has RV spots along the Colorado River and some great hiking. Many of Garro's fishing photos were taken on the river around there.