Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

I am surprised nobody has voted for no home and maybe no car and just lease an apartment for wherever and whenever you want to go.

Much cheaper than all the alternatives I have heard so far. Alternate winters between the Southern states or even Costa Rica, South America and New Zealand then summer up north and then alternate countries as you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jlyon View Post
    I am surprised nobody has voted for no home and maybe no car and just lease an apartment for wherever and whenever you want to go.

Much cheaper than all the alternatives I have heard so far. Alternate winters between the Southern states or even Costa Rica, South America and New Zealand then summer up north and then alternate countries as you want.
    If your destination is an urban one this is a fine solution. If rural or woodland, not so much...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's also the option of National Park/Forest hosting. I looked into that as a way to reduce costs as well. I've seen hosting RV spots that have septic tanks in addition to the standard connections. Months at a time, you just need to some upkeep, collect fees, and occasionally tell someone to hold it down.

I've been on travel since last Friday and didn't check this site, can't say I missed the privileged remark.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jlyon View Post

Love it. Absolutely, I've seen the light. Having a fixed address is fine for when you are locked to a physical location for the long haul. That makes sense in so many way. If I were a single with telework capable skills for sale why the heck would I buy a house? Living in a RV or bombing around to awesome spots to work from would be incredible. I'm retired from day job and more able to set my own schedule. This is why we grind.

The dealio regarding leaking Airstreams is in a word maintenence, DIY at that. These are handmade moving objects not unlike a bicycle which require you pay some attention and fix 'chit yourself. Brand new trailers require you observe and fix overlooked caulk seams or perhaps rivets that are not properly sealed. Neither of these things require a degree in rocket science. I use a small suction cup to assure rivets are airtight. If the rivet leaks even a tiny amount you can simply reseal it using a liquid sealant or, rarely in a newer trailer, drill it out and replace. Caulk deteriorates with UV rays and time. Technicians fail to properly prep. receiving surfaces blah blah blah...all of this is easy peezy to observe and fix. Also, there is a sizable force of mobile RV techs. who will come to you and repair anything you need.

It ain't a house under a roof...thank g-d.

Current situation >>> today.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-13-2018 at 06:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    There's also the option of National Park/Forest hosting. I looked into that as a way to reduce costs as well. I've seen hosting RV spots that have septic tanks in addition to the standard connections. Months at a time, you just need to some upkeep, collect fees, and occasionally tell someone to hold it down.

I've been on travel since last Friday and didn't check this site, can't say I missed the privileged remark.
    Bill, I've got the skinny on Hosting if you want a ear full. There are possibilities and you will need a polished resume. I am pretty confident with your background you'll have a strong case to jump to the head of the line. FWIIW Many of the host sites are primo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage Airstream spotted at Croton Point Park this morning.

October 13, 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh, how long is your Airstream? I'll grade off a spot for you to park in one of the fields...

Being nomadic is somewhat appealing,at least for me. Not sure how much of an option its going to be for us, as Amie's health is always a question, and a major downturn in some remote area could be a disaster.

For me, being at home is a vacation. 20 acres of woods and meadows and streams. Quiet. Fresh air. The idea is that people will come see us so we don't have to travel to see them. So far, so good.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Economy tow vehicle...

btw that Airstream above is a '69...

October 14, 2018 by SlowPoke Pete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Economy tow vehicle...
    Notice the wheel chocks and smart car...local transportation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Pete, there is a gent who commutes to NIH driving his old cab over. The back now holds his tool chest. You gotta love it.

nahtnoj ours is a 25' and you should do that. How'd the bike riding? It is indeed all about peace and quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I have been enjoying the Airstream glamping lifestyle for the last 2 years. We had another trailer for 6 years before purchasing the Airstream, and a tent for many years prior to that.

We are both 53 years young and predict retirement will be in 5-7 years. For now, camping is our escape from the 40 hour work week. I don't know the exact number, but I would estimate we have spent 50-60 nights in our trailer this year.

Running the numbers to justify the purchase will leave you depressed. It is a high initial investment, that will only depreciate over time. For us it is a lifestyle choice. There are certainly ways to make the lifestyle more affordable, but we see it as an investment in our health and well being.

The upkeep is a real issue, but as Too Tall said, it ain't rocket science. We had our trailer back to the dealer last Friday for some minor warranty issues. The labor rate was $145/hr. Your trailer is like a house going through an earthquake every time you tow it down the road. Things are going to come loose and need repair, so it helps to be handy.

Finding the right location is key to enjoyment. Many rv parks cater to families with children. I don't need the mini golf course, overcrowded swimming pool, ice cream bar... well ok, maybe the ice cream bar. For us it is about meeting like minded people who enjoy an active lifestyle, and being outdoors in nature.

Below is our 28' trailer at one of the undisclosed locations Josh mentioned. For now, it is an invite only location not open to the general public. The riding is as good as the camping. Stay tuned in to V-Salon for a possible future ride / event where you learn the secret handshake.
    airstream.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hey Pete, there is a gent who commutes to NIH driving his old cab over. The back now holds his tool chest. You gotta love it.

nahtnoj ours is a 25' and you should do that. How'd the bike riding? It is indeed all about peace and quiet.
    Area snowbirds recommend no longer than 25' for the state parks out west.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall is this going to turn into a Breaking Bad type situation where you're brewing NFS out of the trailer?

Kidding aside, this thread is inspiring for someone in their 20s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

We're right up the hill from Trexlertown. You've probably climbed Tower Road at some point whilst riding in the Lehigh Valley...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    We're right up the hill from Trexlertown. You've probably climbed Tower Road at some point whilst riding in the Lehigh Valley...
    Yes and ouch. That's a good loop from TKs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Area snowbirds recommend no longer than 25' for the state parks out west.
    Initially was my thought too. Airstream seem to get a pass if it is a 27 or 28 i hear third hand from reliable sources. We picked a 25 because we did not need more space and it is the most popular model.

You have to go from a 25 to 28 in order to get a significant increase in useable space imhmfo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I nearly got blown off my campsite on Mount Desert Island last night/this morning. Tent held up really well in a partially sheltered site, but it still was a trip waking up at 4 am to the 45MPH winds... Truck is getting more and more attractive...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a 4x4 MB Sprinter the other day. Looked big enough and bad enough for anyplace I'd ever want to go. But 50K+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Saw a 4x4 MB Sprinter the other day. Looked big enough and bad enough for anyplace I'd ever want to go. But 50K+.
    I’m surprised it was only 50k.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least double that. One of my friends parents just purchased one. They live in CT. He lives in Chicago. His brother and sister live in CO/WY. The van is out there for general family use. Fly in and tour around for a week or two.