Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Very cool. you should bring that to Michaux in October for our next Nomad's ride.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
    Very cool. you should bring that to Michaux in October for our next Nomad's ride.
    What's the hold up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What's the hold up?
    https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...1-a-54723.html

Haven't you made your reservation for Pine Grove Furnace yet? After a Covid interrupted version 2.0, a request was made to have a 2.1 fall version.

Of course I am up there most weekends, so if anyone is in the area and wants to ride, hit me up.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...1-a-54723.html

Haven't you made your reservation for Pine Grove Furnace yet? After a Covid interrupted version 2.0, a request was made to have a 2.1 fall version.

Of course I am up there most weekends, so if anyone is in the area and wants to ride, hit me up.
    You mean this????
    Sean, get on it boy-0.
    PINE GROVE FURNACE STATE PARKUpcoming
    Site 002, 4 nights
    Reservation #2-12889751 PA (Confirmed)
    Check-in
    Fri Oct 02 2020
    Check-out
    Tue Oct 06 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Dan, is that a Quigley, or a standard AWD Express? How much does it tow?

I have van envy.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    So Dan, is that a Quigley, or a standard AWD Express? How much does it tow?

I have van envy.
    It is a 1 ton Quigley. Tow rating is 10,000 lbs. Our Airstream gvwr is 7600 so we should be good. The 6.0 gas motor does fine towing our Airstream and is considered a pretty bullet proof motor. We can tow our trailer, put 2 bicycles, and 2 motorcycles inside the van, and our canoes on the roof, and head out for week long adventures. We've been really happy with it so far.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll attest to the fact that van can giddyup. Dan and I were going straight up the Blue Ridge Mtns. and both my Tundra and his Chebby were going the same speed....because guys would never try to see who's truck was faster towing a massive trailer right?

That van is awesome. When it comes time to trade up this is probably what we'll get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW,
    For 2021 Chevy is offering their new 6.6 gas motor in the express van. My 6.0 is adequate, but who wouldn't want another 40 hp and more importantly another 80 ft-lbs of torque. I am sure the local Chevy dealer would love to take your Tundra in trade. If you buy one, I'll buy the free candy bumper sticker for it.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW,
    For 2021 Chevy is offering their new 6.6 gas motor in the express van. My 6.0 is adequate, but who wouldn't want another 40 hp and more importantly another 80 ft-lbs of torque. I am sure the local Chevy dealer would love to take your Tundra in trade. If you buy one, I'll buy the free candy bumper sticker for it.
    That's what I was waiting for. Ok ok creepy bumper sticker reference noted. YOIKES!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever use a rooftop tent? I'm not in a position to get an Airstream at the moment, or the requisite tow vehicle. Possibly one or the other, but not both.

The rooftop tent seems like a better solution in some ways (not all of course) to ground tenting and might be possible with my current vehicle. Get a trailer hitch for a bike rack, sleep on the roof and away I could go.

An image from a Google search.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A9AF83ED-C54A-436D-A492-1DF892C815C6.jpg

The beginnings of our camping trailer due to be completed on 9.10.20. SCTrailers.net is building it, as we wanted something solid but not a fiberglass fist through the walls commercial unit. Airstreams are nice but no bike storage and too much plumbing.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Anyone ever use a rooftop tent? I'm not in a position to get an Airstream at the moment, or the requisite tow vehicle. Possibly one or the other, but not both.

The rooftop tent seems like a better solution in some ways (not all of course) to ground tenting and might be possible with my current vehicle. Get a trailer hitch for a bike rack, sleep on the roof and away I could go.

An image from a Google search.

Rooftop tents are OK for a small segment of campers. the problem with rooftop tends is they render your vehicle stationary. if you want to set up your base camp for a few days and still want the ability to do a quick beer run or grab some more hot dog rolls, you have to break down the set-up to drive again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Rooftop tents are OK for a small segment of campers. the problem with rooftop tends is they render your vehicle stationary. if you want to set up your base camp for a few days and still want the ability to do a quick beer run or grab some more hot dog rolls, you have to break down the set-up to drive again.

The rooftop tent seems like a better solution in some ways (not all of course) to ground tenting
    By the way, expanding - here's the problem with rooftop tents - look at the size of that thing compared to the woman standing there. Now imagine if you are on a fun cycling weekend with the boys, you just got back from a hot sweaty ride and you need to change out of your cycling kit into street clothes. you'll have to crawl into that tent, lay down and wriggle around in your sweaty kit to try and maneuver a change.

the other thing is, when the weather sucks, it's raining or whatever, there is just no room in there to hang out and relax.

the only reason i see for a small tent is if you have to backpack carry it. if you've got your car anyway, i say - go big! have a little breathing and relaxing room.

last time i went to michaux, i opted not to bring my camper, but took my car camp set-up. it's an 8 man tent and a canopy. everything pops up in 20 minutes and i have a solid, comfortable base camp for a few days, not crammed in something on my roof. I also bring a small cot to sleep in - much more comfortable than a pad and bag.

just advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that!

I can see the advantages and disadvantages to both. At this moment I'm pretty inclined towards the rooftop tent despite the things you mention. There are some workarounds, but you're right, the whole thing needs to be stowed to move the vehicle. That's not nothing.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10-4. I can see some of the advantages. Whatever get's us nomading!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that!

I can see the advantages and disadvantages to both. At this moment I'm pretty inclined towards the rooftop tent despite the things you mention. There are some workarounds, but you're right, the whole thing needs to be stowed to move the vehicle. That's not nothing.
    looks like you and i are on the same page with gear these days

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys need to get your noses out of my internet search history. Saab, keep us posted on the roof top tent. I really like the idea of being able to keep the bikes inside the car (theft, weather). At least with the tent pictured above, it would just take some tarp and binder clips to make an outdoor changing room/shaded seating area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Angry on this one. I've never had a roof top tent but spent many nights in a tent when we were motorcycle touring. If I am driving a car I would much rather have a bigger tent and be able to leave it setup when I pull out. What are the advantages of the roof top tents? Being off the ground? A good Helinox cot is comfortable and keeps you off the tent floor if comfort is the issue.

I've used an air mattress and have slept in our van. The issue with that is no air flow if it is hot out.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Angry on this one. I've never had a roof top tent but spent many nights in a tent when we were motorcycle touring. If I am driving a car I would much rather have a bigger tent and be able to leave it setup when I pull out. What are the advantages of the roof top tents? Being off the ground? A good Helinox cot is comfortable and keeps you off the tent floor if comfort is the issue.

I've used an air mattress and have slept in our van. The issue with that is no air flow if it is hot out.
    SUPERLITE ROOF TENT – Go Fast Campers

this is the one i'm considering

it is pretty big...and pops up in seconds...one less thing to worry about when you get to a site...and i do like the idea of being off the ground

screens so plenty of air flow

and light...only 80lbs so i could feasibly throw it on my jeep myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Car camping, I have a six person Big Agnes and a queen air mattress. I also have a 10X10' popup shelter. I've got a two person Big Agnes if I have to haul it anywhere. The girlfriend has an older Class C RV but our relationship is maturing to the point of selling that and getting a 25ish foot travel trailer. The used market is pretty good here.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com