Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wood Stoves

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    It seems like people either love or hate the Monster Maul.

When I was a kid during the aftermath of the oil embargo, we heated our house entirely with wood, and every piece was split with the Monster Maul. Maybe it's because I was swinging it when I was like 80 pounds, but I don't have fond memories of it.

However, my dad is almost 70 and still heats his shop with wood. He still splits every piece with the old Monster Maul.

@Octave that sounds like an amazing project. I'd love to see some pictures of that process if you have them.

It seems like there's a significant non-motorized wood cutting crew here: Have any of you guys used a two-person cross-cut saw? They sound pretty impressive, but I've never used one.
    Yes! I've used a two-handled cross-cut - with my grandfather at a fishing camp up in Manitoba. I was probably 16 years old and about 100lbs soaking wet, but it was pretty incredible once you got going. An hour or so every afternoon to get ready for evening. Undoubtedly why I still like handsaws.

There is a technique with two handled or one handled cross cut saw where a single person connects an elastic strap to the other end of the saw and from there to a tree. Then one person can draw back and forth and saw the log that way. Takes a bit of practice to get the alignment right. And cross cut saws seem like an art form to keep sharp and keep the teeth "tuned" properly. However, I am very tempted every time I look at this site.

The Japanese saws I am using now only cut in one direction - and they are very sharp in that direction. I always wear leather gloves when using them, and I have to believe are decent training for being around a chainsaw because I am always watching where my hands are now. But you saw with a strong pull and light push - and a long pull too. Use all the teeth. Only the larger saws are re-sharpenable. The smaller saws all have impulse hardened teeth, and the metal is sharper than most files. I have a diamond file for sharpening these blades, but I think it just removes the impulse hardened surface and sharpens the soften metal underneath, which isn't optimal.

Bow or frame saws are cool too. They are a bit like folding cross cut saws though I don't believe the teeth are done the same way. But put an excellent blade on one and you have a very portable saw with a lot of cutting zip. A lot of people swear by them, and there is a certain craftsmanship appeal as with this one.
    Last edited by j44ke; 11-26-2020 at 06:19 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books