Thread: Wood Stoves

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wood Stoves

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    As a guy who splits time between the Hudson Valley and northern France, you're going to soon need a diesel dually.

Because coordinating with your trainer to haul both horses to the jumping competitions is a pain in butt.
    Cela pourrait être parfait.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm deeply amused at how we effectively have two chainsaw threads going in OT right now...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I'm deeply amused at how we effectively have two chainsaw threads going in OT right now...
    I thought this was a thread about Citroën snowplows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a while there this spring, my neighborhood sounded like a lumberjack competition. Saws all day long. Trees + wind.

I should have a fire tonight. It is chilly and damp. But I just last week emptied the house of firewood...
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I should have a fire tonight. It is chilly and damp. But I just last week emptied the house of firewood...
    Too soon, my friend. It just dipped below 50, and so we're burning red oak tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was a thread about Citroën snowplows.
    I've got questions about the plow..but also your dually?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too soon, my friend. It just dipped below 50, and so we're burning red oak tonight.
    Like beaches, wood stoves were invented for dogs.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got questions about the plow..but also your dually?
    I put in a rental reservation for a half ton, and the Enterprise guy pulled up out front with the F350. It was quite a truck, but certainly not a daily driver in the city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Reminds me of the time I reserved an econobox, and the Enterprise guy pulled up with a Camaro. The art director at my side went from grumpy to grabbing the keys.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put in a rental reservation for a half ton, and the Enterprise guy pulled up out front with the F350. It was quite a truck, but certainly not a daily driver in the city.
    I...did not know...that was something Enterprise would have in their possession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I...did not know...that was something Enterprise would have in their possession.
    Oh yeah, their commercial truck division is pretty great: https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru.../vehicles.html

I'm not sure what the business model is renting out $65,000 trucks for $135/day, but that's their business.
    Last edited by caleb; 05-11-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, their commercial truck division is pretty great: https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru.../vehicles.html

I'm not sure what the business model is renting out $65,000 trucks for $135/day, but that's their business.
    I was pretty stoked when I found out Penske would rent me a 26' box truck for that kind of money, when I'd previously never driven anything bigger than a 1960 Buick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halfsies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've earned your next buffalo plaid shirt!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I schlepped the last of this spring's firewood out to the road today. I still need to haul it and split it, but I won't need to go back in the brush to swat mosquitos over the summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb - what model husky is that? And tell me more about the bar.

Holy moly, it's chilly enough here in south-central NH to fire up the ol' Jotul this evening... but, alas, the thought of cleaning out the stove again just has me turning up the heat in the house.
    Lots of rain. Which I am thankful for- we REALLY need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post

Holy moly, it's chilly enough here in south-central NH to fire up the ol' Jotul this evening... but, alas, the thought of cleaning out the stove again just has me turning up the heat in the house.
    I went out and got wood before the rain started, but likewise haven’t gotten anything lit in the stove. Might do it today just to dry things out a bit. Happy for the rain but I just spent the last week in the woods with the string trimmer cleaning up the trails. Some had disappeared into a coating of Virginia creeper and garlic mustard. The trimmer is a Stihl that works with a battery backpack so I can put two batteries in the backpack and go for almost 3 hours of cutting, break for lunch and recharge, and then go again in the afternoon. Kind of a monster though, so I can see where I might need a smaller lighter version to do touch-ups as needed. Amazing how fast some of these plants grow. All this rain is going to double the speed.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-30-2021 at 07:56 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike you all (and me in the other country) with real logs, I am glad that I replaced a lot of deck and right sized the old pieces of 2 x 4 out here on the sandbar in the Atlantic. And also glad that the stove is made out of soapstone. It was 43 and pouring this morning outside but toasty inside.

It is what we do when we have a real March Nor’easter at the end of May.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been getting some weather swings here, too. Pushing 90 about a week ago, then lows in the 30s last Thursday, and now another ramp-up this coming weekend that'll push 90. We ran the stove last Thursday, but all I have for wood right now is red oak and we ended up needing to open a window. I need to start cutting a wood other than red oak.

The saw above is a 562xp. I bought it earlier this spring on the recommendation of my local dealer after my 445 had another round of issues.

I've really liked the 562. I haven't had any of the hot-start issues that people had with earlier versions, and with a full chisel chain it makes short work of the bigger oak logs.

The bar is from a Japanese company called Sugihara. Like Tsumura, they make laminated bars that are lighter and have more spring than solid milled bars, with the ideas that they'll deform without permanently bending, and the lower weight will keep the saw more balanced with a longer bar. I mostly like it because the cutouts remind me of drillium - what could possibly go wrong?
    Last edited by caleb; 05-30-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: cleaning out the stove - I bought an ash vacuum. Basically a metal canister shop vac with a metal hose and motor sealed inside a fabric filter bag. There is a temp sensor in the motor that shuts it off if the temps get too high, either from ash choking the motor or a fire inside the canister. So far so good. Cleaning the stove is pretty easy because the Morso turns everything to powder. But emptying the vac canister is inevitably a mess. So that gets done outside sway from the house. Our gardener friend cautioned us not to dump directly into the woods as it is not great for plants (gets too alkaline if it accumulated,) but she said adding it to compost actually works well, as long as we aren’t burning cords per week. The ash helps balance ph and adds a few important nutrients. So that’s where it goes and gets turned under the rotting fruits and vegetables periodically. Potatoes seem to like it. We have two potato plants growing in there right now, but the deer keep pruning them.