User Tag List

Thread: Robust commuter pants (not jeans)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Robust commuter pants (not jeans)

Hit me with your recommendations on solid pants that won't end up with a blown out crotch after a few months of commuting. I'm looking for chinos or something similarly work-appropriate. Uniqlo makes nice, cheap chinos that fit well but they feel disposable to me - about 6 months into wearing them for my commutes (about 18-20km depending on what boulangerie I'm hitting) they are tissue thin and a month later I've got a saddle greeting me in my nether-regions.

I've yet to find a pair of jeans I like that weren't priced at the GDP of Eritrea so please stick to non-jean recommendations. I've had good luck with Rapha's pants but they're not cheap and they change their cut and details (like pocket size, zipper placement...etc. even on the same model across years) so frequently that buying them feels like a crapshoot.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Robust commuter pants (not jeans)

I have a pair of Swrve winter commuting pants that are nicely cut and have held up well. They're jeans-cut but made of Schoeller and a thermo lining.
    In fact, they turned out to be almost too warm for all but Chicago's coldest commuting days.

They make lighter weight stuff as well that I've never gotten around to try, but might be worth a look for you.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the pants from Mountain Khakis would last a super long time commuting. I wear them to work daily and ride my bike around town at lunch so there is that.

I like the camber series Men's Camber Pants | Verstile Outdoor Pants | Mountain Khakis

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't ever bought their pants, but all of the Swrve shorts that I have had have been great and taken plenty of beating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second the Mountain Khakis recommendation. Also Kuhl pants. They have some nice fabrics, and they come in a range of sizes and cuts. Durability is high and the pants have gusseted crotch and high backs so riding/hiking works. I have a couple of the Kanvus jeans, but there are quite a few styles. Takes a bit of reading to figure out what's what, but they are good pants.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swrve stuff has been bomber for me. I wear a lot of MK as mentioned and Prana stuff for lighter fabrics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll second the Prana pants. They have a ton of stretch, and they don't look like bike kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really wish swrve made their shorts with some else than polyester for the pockets...kind of sweat inducing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been commuting in Prana pants for a number of years. I generally trash them by crashing and ripping the knee, but I have yet to wear out the saddle area first. For reference, I had a 30 km round trip commute for ~5 years and then a 22 km round trip commute for another 5. I ride my bike to work no matter what happens weather wise- and around here I suppose I'm in long pants for roughly half the year. In the winter I just put thick long underwear under the pants and they do nicely, even at -20 C. I like them enough that I have not really shopped around for something better-so take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Toad & Co. Mission Ridge pants. Fit is not too tight, nor too baggy, they look like classic chinos so they go well with a tee shirt or a blazer, there are many color options, they come in different inseam lengths, the fabric has a nice stretch but mostly cotton, and Toad has similar environmental and labor values to Patagonia (execution/supply chain research I have not exhaustively conducted, so ymmv)... they are literally the only pants I buy, and I have seven pairs right now. When something adverse happens to a pair, I cut them off, hem them, and voila, shorts. I need a similar line on a good but affordable classic blue Oxford shirt, as that's my uniform. Toad chinos, blue oxford.