User Tag List

Thread: My Sister-in-Law the Screen Printer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Sister-in-Law the Screen Printer

And seamstress and photographer and daguerreotypist and cyanotypist and and and (see here for evidence)

She's started a new-ish project using at least 2 or 3 of her skills - photography, screen printing, some cyanotypes and seamstress - and has just opened an Etsy shop. I thought I would post a few images and links here because these are entirely handmade, which includes in some cases the fabric (though not sure if that series is still available.) Her progression as a craftsperson has been interesting, because very early in her creative career she was designing really interesting quilts and other stitched work but parked those efforts to 1.) be an accountant and 2.) make "real" "serious" artwork. But now she's somehow been able to give herself permission to return to more textiles and I think the results are pretty great. That whole aspect of permission-given by the artist or creative person themselves to make work must have a lot of parallels in other disciplines, building of bicycles not excluded. It seems like the question "What would you make if you could make anything without other demands on your time or finances?" should be an easy question to answer. But it might actually be the hardest. And it is easy to see these as handbags and aprons, but she's sneaking in a lot of color theory and design/composition strategies honed in others of her disciplines. But then she's family so I might be not-so impartial.

Last edited by j44ke; 08-30-2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Sister-in-Law the Screen Printer

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it. I really want to get a screen printing setup and make some things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She makes lovely things. No family bias needed to see that!

That "What would you make if you could make anything without other demands on your time or finances?" question is a really important one to dig into. One's answer and what is done with that is the core of finding meaning in life.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen printing is one of those things that always looks like it's fun ... or at least very satisfying.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast