User Tag List

Thread: dumb idea....money i don't have....but i just put a deposit on a 2005 BMW R1200 GS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default dumb idea....money i don't have....but i just put a deposit on a 2005 BMW R1200 GS

i've told you guys about my grandiose idea to do some two-up touring and start to include my significant other in my motorcycling. i've only had my RSV4 RR a few months and i've already put 5,000 miles on it and most of the time i'm riding it i wish that i could share the exeprience with Kate.

i thought long and hard about buying a new Moto-Guzzi Stelvio. They're really nice bikes- and at $11,000 with full dealer support it's a heck of a deal. I also test rode one for a day and really liked it. In fact, I liked it better than the R1200GS i tried.

but at the end of the day saving 7,000 (once we start including taxes and all the other stuff) was too much of an argument in favor of getting something tried and true. so i just venmo'd some guy in Texas $1000 to hold on to this thing until I can get out there and grab it and ride it back home to San Diego.

it's a 2005. it's got 30,000 miles on it, it has new bitubo suspension and spoked wheels. it's only seen highway miles.

i like the way it looks. i think it should be a decent bike for what i want to do with it. i'll certainly be getting some more aggressive rubber for it and maybe a 21" front wheel because i really want to play in the desert on the thing- although the point of the bike is going to be to use it for camping for the two of us.

tell me what a horrible mistake i made. and yes- i did really want a new R1200GS rally but i can't swing 20k right now. i can't even swing the 5k this thing is costing me- but it's cheaper than a boat and Kate really wants to do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: dumb idea....money i don't have....but i just put a deposit on a 2005 BMW R1200 G

I hate you a little. I've been forcing myself to sell my beloved 1951 Chevy Truck so that I've got room to park a Moto and work on my other project car

That's a oil head and was HIGHLY recommended to me by Jim Ford, a recent new friend ( Riders Workshop | ) Jim has that same bike with 150K on it and runs like a top.

That is one of the most highly revered motos ever made how could you go wrong and PS I hate you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: dumb idea....money i don't have....but i just put a deposit on a 2005 BMW R1200 G

The bags alone are probably nearly a grand. 5k for that is a good deal. Say hi to Garro on your way thru Flag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You only live once. Great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like you, I've got "want a second bike-itis," so I am very jealous of your second bike! Enjoy it, it sounds perfect for what you want to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice.

I once had an R75/5.

That was a long time ago, but I love a boxer.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good friend has one. He loves it.

If it will make your SO happy, why are you talking to us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is actually rational in comparison to the car. Actually even not in comparison to the car.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit, Lionel must of bought a ton of gear from you last weekend. My wife's sister's boyfriend has a 2017 one. It is rad. I rode last year around Tiburon. What a blast. The 2005 is a very good year as I recall. I use to have a F650GS Dakar when I lived in Frenso during my post doc year. I rode with the BMW club where a lot of the dudes had what you are getting. We went all over the dirt roads of the Seirra Nevada and across the state to Ft Bragg a couple of times. Lots of fun. San Diego is an awesome place to own that bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice choice Craig.

Of course, the next question will be how long until Kate wants her own moto to ride?

How much extra room is there in the garage? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    until I can get out there and grab it and ride it back home to San Diego.
    Are you not going to take the extra / original parts he has listed in the ADV posting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good deal on a good bike. Like you, I would like to have a new 1200GS Rally but I don't ride my Super Tenere enough to justify what it would cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Nice choice Craig.

Of course, the next question will be how long until Kate wants her own moto to ride?

How much extra room is there in the garage? ;)

Are you not going to take the extra / original parts he has listed in the ADV posting?
    i'm going to ship the extra shit home. the guy even has the weird metal briefcase those bitubo shocks come in.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Shit, Lionel must of bought a ton of gear from you last weekend. My wife's sister's boyfriend has a 2017 one. It is rad. I rode last year around Tiburon. What a blast. The 2005 is a very good year as I recall. I use to have a F650GS Dakar when I lived in Frenso during my post doc year. I rode with the BMW club where a lot of the dudes had what you are getting. We went all over the dirt roads of the Seirra Nevada and across the state to Ft Bragg a couple of times. Lots of fun. San Diego is an awesome place to own that bike.
    no such luck i'm afraid. it'll be a couple of weeks before we see Lionel's mountain bike and get paid for that and a couple of months before we see the Aerotack the custom bike game is a long con-you've got a ton invested up front before you see anhything. in general, we take a $500 to a $1000 depost on custom bikes which doesn't come clost to covering anything. it's just a symbolic committment that gets the clock started.

all kidding aside, summer cycles is not yet to the point where we're doing anything except putting money into the business. that'll be the way it works for at least the next couple of years i figure. but it needs to be that way for it to work and last.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Done....life is a one way journey enjoy

KJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    no such luck i'm afraid. it'll be a couple of weeks before we see Lionel's mountain bike and get paid for that and a couple of months before we see the Aerotack the custom bike game is a long con-you've got a ton invested up front before you see anhything. in general, we take a $500 to a $1000 depost on custom bikes which doesn't come clost to covering anything. it's just a symbolic committment that gets the clock started.

all kidding aside, summer cycles is not yet to the point where we're doing anything except putting money into the business. that'll be the way it works for at least the next couple of years i figure. but it needs to be that way for it to work and last.
    I have no doubt it’ll be successful. I’m just ribbing you and Lionel. Didn’t the 2005 1200GS have a new engine different from the 2004 model and other previous models?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I have no doubt it’ll be successful. I’m just ribbing you and Lionel. Didn’t the 2005 1200GS have a new engine different from the 2004 model and other previous models?
    Yes, 2004 was the last year of the 1150 oilhead. 2005 -2010 was the hexhead. 2011 to 2013 saw a minor update and is called a camhead. 2013 to present is the watercooled wet head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great choice Craig. And that price seems very good.

Where did the seller have it serviced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fingers crossed this sale goes thought. 5k is big money for me- and i just got word that the fuel pump and its sending unit shi'ite the bed. i'm asking that the dealer do a thorough check on the thing- and worse comes to worse at least I know what is up. the guy has $1000 deposit that i'm not walking away from...but in a strange twist of fate my old man just said that he might want to buy the Guzzi Stelvio NTX that my shop has on sale for $12k and leave it out here with me for when he comes out and visits- he'll even let me use it- but only for two-up riding with Kate. :)

so if that happens- i might be the shortest term owner of an R1200GS ever....hahaha.

as you guys might remember- the Stelvio was the bike that sparked this whole crazy fantasy of getting a big off road bike that we could do two up touring on. i demo'd a Stelvio NTX for a day and REALLY liked it. I preferred the engine and egos to the R1200GS actually.

anyway- none of this really matters. i have the best bike in the world- an RSV4 RR with it's new fancy pipes and race ECU!
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- "never dumb" if you believe....
    ronnie