User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Order the Stage 2 truck from TLC 4x4, and buy a lightly modded 100 series to drive while you wait?

I wouldn't want to deprive my children of 1.5 years worth of outdoor adventure!
    thats what we are thinking. got one around for sale?
    Last edited by joosttx; 08-27-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toyota Siena Camper Van?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine's bone stock and unlikely to ever be for sale, sorry...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go get it Houston. Raid the petty cash drawer and ride your bike to fetch it.

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 4th Anniversary - Adventure/Overland Built - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Mine's bone stock and unlikely to ever be for sale, sorry...
    I wish they offered a stripper Land Cruiser with cloth seats, limited infotainment, no sunroof (duh....), etc. even in limited numbers. Cut 500 lbs. from the truck and it would be better. I don't want all that crap but a part of me would love a Land Cruiser.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is about a stripped as they come, Saab and I'd be happy to look at it for you. They even removed the back seats for you.

Used Toyota Land Cruiser For Sale Pittsburgh, PA - CarGurus
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Thats a got to be the raddest van ever. We have a Prius and a Toyota Highlander. I drive the Highlander and it fits 5 kids and two adults plus some luggage space. And is an excellent car. I chose it over a 4-runner simply because it was cheaper, better equipped and better suited for my needs. However, my wife and I want to get out into see the country a bit with the kids. What I want to do is buy a FZJ80 and have it restored like new with a new engine, etc, etc. The issue is it the purposed plan is slightly out of my desired price range. And I am not sure I want to spend to extra dough and want about a 1.5+ years for the restoration to be completed.
    you already know this, but i'll repeat it for emphasis. it's the exact same idea as "gravel bikes".

when i was a kiddo, my parents had a cabin way upstate. family had very little money, but my dad loved adventure. family car was a buick wagon. some of my fondest memories as a kid were getting the RWD wagon stuck in the mud and inventing ways to hoist it out. we went to a lot of places in that old wagon. i learned how to change a water pump, thermosthat, starter, brake pads and everything else in that car, sometimes on the side of the road or in a autozone parking lot.

the vehicle wont hold you back on adventurneering, only a tentative attitude will.

i still support the LC plan, but dont worry about taking that highlander, which is 95 times the vehicle the buick wagon was, on any adventure you can dream up.

just sayin :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I wish they offered a stripper Land Cruiser with cloth seats, limited infotainment, no sunroof (duh....), etc. even in limited numbers. Cut 500 lbs. from the truck and it would be better. I don't want all that crap but a part of me would love a Land Cruiser.
    You're partially correct.

My leather driver's seat is wearing out, and I might get them recovered in cloth. All sunroofs eventually leak.

But, the LX suspension is so vastly superior to the LC that buying a new LC is a terrible decision. The LX with proper tires, stock for stock, is vastly more capable than the LC.

But, to Angry's point, they're both massive overkill for most people's needs.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    you already know this, but i'll repeat it for emphasis. it's the exact same idea as "gravel bikes".

when i was a kiddo, my parents had a cabin way upstate. family had very little money, but my dad loved adventure. family car was a buick wagon. some of my fondest memories as a kid were getting the RWD wagon stuck in the mud and inventing ways to hoist it out. we went to a lot of places in that old wagon. i learned how to change a water pump, thermosthat, starter, brake pads and everything else in that car, sometimes on the side of the road or in a autozone parking lot.

the vehicle wont hold you back on adventurneering, only a tentative attitude will.

i still support the LC plan, but dont worry about taking that highlander, which is 95 times the vehicle the buick wagon was, on any adventure you can dream up.

just sayin :)
    Highlander is excellent. The cost of the LC conversion I want which basically makes it a new vehicle puts it in the price category of brand new luxury SUVs. So that is not an apples to apples comparison. There is an ethos in design emerging that luxury is not status but quality. I really like this concept. I would love to have a luxury vehicle that did not say "look at me and my luxury vehicle". A tasteful or toned down FZJ80 conversion restroration would do that. At least I think. But again the price is a little to high for me to swallow.
    Last edited by joosttx; 08-27-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

The third kid pushed us from wagon-world to van-land 18 years ago and after driving two Oddy’s over that period, my wife passed the baton to me. No worries as it has 120k of patina, a bike rack hitch, roof rails and the rear window sports stickers from all of the colleges that have emptied my bank account over the years.
    #goals

Our twins and our van (Sienna) are both two and I am fully planning on still having this vehicle for another ten to fifteen year. My wife hates it but I love it. She’ll come around.

I have not put a tow hitch on it yet, but it was a topic of conversation driving to OBX this weekend. Four bikes on the tow hitch and one on the roof next to the cargo box and we’re sorted.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like a Tacoma with a 6 foot bed and a canopy with a platform akin to a bassboatnbuilt inside sounds a hell of a lot better than a Land Cruiser. Equally capable, cheaper, better mileage...the LC seems like one of those Mercedes SUV’s, or a hummer.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston, worse case you can always go to a AMG G 65 SUV.
    Last edited by Lionel; 08-28-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I feel like a Tacoma with a 6 foot bed and a canopy with a platform akin to a bassboatnbuilt inside sounds a hell of a lot better than a Land Cruiser. Equally capable, cheaper, better mileage...the LC seems like one of those Mercedes SUV’s, or a hummer.
    I had a 1996 Tacoma 4x4 that was so rad. And when I went and got the Highlander my aim was to get a Tacoma. I test drove it and found the Tacoma with a second row doesnt have enough room for kids and the thing is kids grow. I talking about buying a 1995-97 LC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should buy that truck Garro bought for road trips down to Baja. You’re doing something right if you can get anywhere near his trips, especially with kids.
    I get the Toyota love (taco and sienna owner), but if you are serious about road trips and camping and the like, the Land Cruiser seems like a compromise. It is 75% vanity, 20% folklore, and 7% actual capability. Sure, it won’t be stopped on some remote mountain road in the San Juan’s, but a Silverado wouldn’t either. Look at the images of a dozen guys rolling around Afghanistahan in the back of a 1980’s pickup and ask what you need that the Land Cruiser affords over a truck,canopy/platform. If it is the aesthetic, then go for it, but I think you’ve got better options.

Actually, the best option is four plane tickets to New Zealand where you buy a shitty camper and tour the islands with bikes in tow for 6 months.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Highlander is excellent. The cost of the LC conversion I want which basically makes it a new vehicle puts it in the price category of brand new luxury SUVs. So that is not an apples to apples comparison. There is an ethos in design emerging that luxury is not status but quality. I really like this concept. I would love to have a luxury vehicle that did not say "look at me and my luxury vehicle". A tasteful or toned down FZJ80 conversion restroration would do that. At least I think. But again the price is a little to high for me to swallow.
    I don't know. I see a few of those deluxe redos around here (Land Rover, FJ, Power Wagon) and the people who get out of them look like they probably pay someone to wear their jeans out and put dirt on their shoes. I think you'd be better off renovating a Vista Cruiser, maybe convince some local high school shop class to turn it into a plug-in hybrid and take the family for a transcontinental sailing trip.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    BALLAR

Also, to your first point, that's why I directed Houston to the TLC inventory at the local collector car store...

To be perfectly plain, the conclusion that follows the ellipse is: these are luxury / fashion vehicles - that's why they are sold alongside LRs and Astons at the collector car store, and why the TLC 40th Anniversary Ed in their inventory is listed at $68k (cough cough cough).

Hey, it's not easy to talk anyone out of something, but I feel like I'm the only one who actually read the OP.

The rest of you are shameless enablers!

At this rate, Houston will end up with semi-functional Vanagon before this is over...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    "OPEN TO TRADES: Range Rover Classic, FJ40, BMW 2002, KTM dirt bike, or something along those lines." - LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    BALLAR

Also, to your first point, that's why I directed Houston to the TLC inventory at the local collector car store...

To be perfectly plain, the conclusion that follows the ellipse is: these are luxury / fashion vehicles - that's why they are sold alongside LRs and Astons at the collector car store, and why the TLC 40th Anniversary Ed in their inventory is listed at $68k (cough cough cough).

Hey, it's not easy to talk anyone out of something, but I feel like I'm the only one who actually read the OP.

At this rate, Houston will end up with semi-functional Vanagon before this is over...
    That Land Cruiser is worth at most half that price. And I am assuming triple factory lockers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to convince him to buy a Subaru.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Hey, I'm trying to convince him to buy a Subaru.
    my wife is not helping any of you non-enables.