User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Jscott, when comparing 80 and 100 series, you probably noticed they're apples and oranges. With the release of the 100s in 1998 it was a total redesign. And depending on what you're looking for in a Land Cruiser it's difficult to decide what works best for you.
    Without going into great detail about the design changes, I can say the 80 feels like a tractor compared to the 100 for daily driving.

But if I'm doing this:
    tlc2.jpg
    Or this:
    TLC1.jpg
    I'll choose the tractor.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    if able to "go across africa" was the yardstick we'd all be driving either Toyota Hi-Luxs with 50 caliber machine gun as the only option or 1983 Mercedes W123 diesel kong wheelbase manuals.

they'd both be either beige or baby shit brown.
    i just re-read this thread for some reason and i found this gem and none of you guys ever even commented on this brilliance. i'm going to go join PvD in the super secret stable genius subforum-

seriously- that was gold! re: trucks i haven't driven my Tacoma in two and a half months. It's essentially Kate's car now. The good thing is that I have stopped obsessing over how to throw money at it and turn it into a pre-runner that you can race the Baja 500 in AND live in for extended periods of time. That fantasy was about to get very very expensive. I've moved on to how can I make my Harley Street Bob awesome which is just as absurd but a good deal cheaper.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Jscott, when comparing 80 and 100 series, you probably noticed they're apples and oranges. With the release of the 100s in 1998 it was a total redesign. And depending on what you're looking for in a Land Cruiser it's difficult to decide what works best for you.
    Without going into great detail about the design changes, I can say the 80 feels like a tractor compared to the 100 for daily driving.
    Yep. The rational mind pushes one to the 100 for daily driver. But I'm just digging the 80. It feels like the right "next TLC" for me considering my last was an '83 FJ40. Plus I just like the lines of the 80 better.

IMG_5789.jpg

IMG_8908 copy.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just re-read this thread for some reason and i found this gem and none of you guys ever even commented on this brilliance. i'm going to go join PvD in the super secret stable genius subforum-

seriously- that was gold! re: trucks i haven't driven my Tacoma in two and a half months. It's essentially Kate's car now. The good thing is that I have stopped obsessing over how to throw money at it and turn it into a pre-runner that you can race the Baja 500 in AND live in for extended periods of time. That fantasy was about to get very very expensive. I've moved on to how can I make my Harley Street Bob awesome which is just as absurd but a good deal cheaper.
    Ha! Craig, that is indeed solid gold.

And this whole entire exploration for me is "absurd" considering I have a perfectly fine '14 E350 wagon but damnit I think I've been bitten by the bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daily driver is my 2015 Prius. 60+ MPG, comfort, holds 4 in a pinch. With the back seats down, holds more stuff than I could fit in my Subaru wagon.

Least climate change contribution of anything but a full on electric and infinitely more practical.

The Tacoma is for photo trips and adventures. A decent 20+ MPG even with the cap and a high percentage of 4x4 deployed.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were in Kenya during the election violence in 2008 (not part of our plan but there we were) and I’d say that a Toyota truck with a big machine gun sitting mid-intersection and full of itchy scared stoned government troops is just about one of the most real things I’ve seen. We got picked up at the government airport (main airport was closed - due to snipers in the slums beneath the runway approach supposedly) by a driver sent by our tour agency after several weeks of safari and he drove through Nairobi at 90mph - no other cars - and then this Toyota “technical” probably on its second half-life after being sent as part of humanitarian aid before someone bolted a gun onto it. Man were we happy to reach our friends’ compound. Later we had tea and cakes and watched sunbirds in the garden. Still feels totally surreal when I type that out.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    My daily driver is my 2015 Prius. 60+ MPG, comfort, holds 4 in a pinch. With the back seats down, holds more stuff than I could fit in my Subaru wagon.

Least climate change contribution of anything but a full on electric and infinitely more practical.

The Tacoma is for photo trips and adventures. A decent 20+ MPG even with the cap and a high percentage of 4x4 deployed.
    That's a good perspective to keep in mind Guy. If I had the room for the rolling stock, I think my daily driver would be similar setup. Which Tacoma do you have?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    That's a good perspective to keep in mind Guy. If I had the room for the rolling stock, I think my daily driver would be similar setup. Which Tacoma do you have?
    It's a new to me 2007 Access Cab TRD Offroad. I can sleep straight on in the 6'1" bed (barely...), and I don't worry about lack of cell service on remote lumber roads.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Bumping this back up and seeking clarification.

Does the above comment on LX suspension apply to LX450 compared to FJ80, or LX470 compared to FJ100, or both?
    It applies to the 100 and 200 series with AHC. There are substantial differences with make the AHC equipped trucks (with includes most 06-07 LCs) much better.

Ras is talking about the 80 series. I agree. LC and LX of that generation are fundamentally identical.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Picked up an 08 FJ Cruiser, ended up with an automatic over the manual. Truely a fun vehicle....
    It’s been almost a year and the FJ has gone from completely stock to a lot more fun.....still look wistfully at LCs sometimes but don’t have any regrets about the FJ.

C284F51B-C2A8-4F01-A73B-1D4CC73E4393.jpg
    Nathan H

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789