User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I was shocked at how much I got for mine. They are fun, though. Especially if you like driving off road.
    Picked up an 08 FJ Cruiser, ended up with an automatic over the manual. Truely a fun vehicle....
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought one last year. It needed a lot of work - but the price was right. I won't get into what I've done to fix it up :) I've driven it to Yellowstone and a bunch of other places, it's really fun for camping out of and it goes pretty much anywhere. It drives pretty well for what it is, although it's SLOW. I think if you're willing to work on it yourself it's worth getting one, they are a classic and will probably keep going up in value. Given the choice, I'd consider a 60 series but they are getting expensive for ones that aren't rusted out. Anyway This is my hooptie. Everyone seems to really enjoy it and I get lots of comments about it. Right now it's on 35x12.5's. You can get newer, more refined cars but that's not the point of these IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coolberto hipsterdor View Post
    I bought one last year. It needed a lot of work - but the price was right. I won't get into what I've done to fix it up :) I've driven it to Yellowstone and a bunch of other places, it's really fun for camping out of and it goes pretty much anywhere. It drives pretty well for what it is, although it's SLOW. I think if you're willing to work on it yourself it's worth getting one, they are a classic and will probably keep going up in value. Given the choice, I'd consider a 60 series but they are getting expensive for ones that aren't rusted out. Anyway This is my hooptie. Everyone seems to really enjoy it and I get lots of comments about it. Right now it's on 35x12.5's. You can get newer, more refined cars but that's not the point of these IMO

So jealous.Very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    So jealous.Very nice
    Thanks.

I think if you want one you should just get one. Every drive feels like an adventure - in a good way. I really doubt you'd regret getting one and it never gets old looking at it either. They're perfectly DD-able too if you don't try to drive it like a sports car. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post

Oh Gawd!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1997 Lexus LX45 / Land Cruiser FZJ8 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

Just add LSx

My brother looked at an LX470 in the east bay for me. Too many red flags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or....(click photo for listing)

Last edited by j44ke; 12-10-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A true off-road, go across Africa vehicle, as a daily driver on paved American roads? Are you really feeling that inadequate? Don't you don spandex and ride a plastic bicycle hither and yon?

Why spend gobs of money on a vehicle whose capabilities will never be tested nor realized by your efforts when you could buy two far more capable and effective vehicles for your stated purpose?

On the other hand, it's your money, why give a monkey's rear about what others think or common sense. Get that bad boy and drive during rush hour traffic like you want to be there, going all slow and stuff with an eye on the gas gauge; that's what 4-low is for.

It's easy to talk you out of this given the paucity of defensive data you've supplied yourself. I'm tilting at windmills now so maybe I'll read the pages of posts talking you out of this purchase and then see if I can add anything to the pile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Or....(click photo for listing)

I worked with a guy who took one of these down to the frame. He sandblasted, primed and painted the frame, then proceeded to add parts back as he refurbished/rebuilt them. Imported a turbodiesel from the Netherlands. Redid the upholstery, electrical stuff, everything. Added a snorkel, just in case. Painted it a beautiful sky blue. A true beauty befitting the president of the local Landcruiser club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No not for the city. If I bought one of those I would use it in the country but only to go get coffee.

And for building supplies, one of these:

Otherwise I drive a Volvo.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Otherwise I drive a Volvo.
    Speaking of volvo...

1979 Volvo C22 Laplander 4x4 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending April 4 (Lot #17 ,655) | Bring a Trailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Yeah! I want one!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    A true off-road, go across Africa vehicle, as a daily driver on paved American roads? Are you really feeling that inadequate? Don't you don spandex and ride a plastic bicycle hither and yon?

Why spend gobs of money on a vehicle whose capabilities will never be tested nor realized by your efforts when you could buy two far more capable and effective vehicles for your stated purpose?

On the other hand, it's your money, why give a monkey's rear about what others think or common sense. Get that bad boy and drive during rush hour traffic like you want to be there, going all slow and stuff with an eye on the gas gauge; that's what 4-low is for.

It's easy to talk you out of this given the paucity of defensive data you've supplied yourself. I'm tilting at windmills now so maybe I'll read the pages of posts talking you out of this purchase and then see if I can add anything to the pile.
    if able to "go across africa" was the yardstick we'd all be driving either Toyota Hi-Luxs with 50 caliber machine gun as the only option or 1983 Mercedes W123 diesel kong wheelbase manuals.

they'd both be either beige or baby shit brown.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post

I'm surprised it went for $45k. People spend significantly more than that for the most boring new pickups. I would have guessed there'd be a bigger/deeper market with lodges, guides, tours, etcetera.

Here's another cool FJ: 1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ55 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending April 16 (Lot #17 ,958) | Bring a Trailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    You're partially correct.

My leather driver's seat is wearing out, and I might get them recovered in cloth. All sunroofs eventually leak.

But, the LX suspension is so vastly superior to the LC that buying a new LC is a terrible decision. The LX with proper tires, stock for stock, is vastly more capable than the LC.

But, to Angry's point, they're both massive overkill for most people's needs.
    Bumping this back up and seeking clarification.

Does the above comment on LX suspension apply to LX450 compared to FJ80, or LX470 compared to FJ100, or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Bumping this back up and seeking clarification.

Does the above comment on LX suspension apply to LX450 compared to FJ80, or LX470 compared to FJ100, or both?
    Being an owner and devoted follower of many things related to the 80 series Land Cruisers; claiming the LX is superior to the LC is absurdly incorrect. Statements like this only serve to justify the price paid. They are identical vehicles with the Lexus version adding minor 'creature comforts'. LX came standard with climate control, subwoofer, body cladding, and different color choices.
    differences between LC vs LX | IH8MUD Forum
    Besides the badge, they're the same. They both suffer from the same problems (head gasket, PHH, shaky side mirrors, shit leather for seats, clogged sunroof drains, 'D' light on the dash burns out, etc). But after these things are addressed and regular maintenance is done, they're unstoppable.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Being an owner and devoted follower of many things related to the 80 series Land Cruisers; claiming the LX is superior to the LC is absurdly incorrect. Statements like this only serve to justify the price paid. They are identical vehicles with the Lexus version adding minor 'creature comforts'. LX came standard with climate control, subwoofer, body cladding, and different color choices.
    differences between LC vs LX | IH8MUD Forum
    Besides the badge, they're the same. They both suffer from the same problems (head gasket, PHH, shaky side mirrors, shit leather for seats, clogged sunroof drains, 'D' light on the dash burns out, etc). But after these things are addressed and regular maintenance is done, they're unstoppable.

^^ This. Rick is spot-on.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am down the rabbit hole comparing the FJ80 (LX450) and the UZJ100 (LX470).