User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: thinking about buying a FJ80 Land Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    That is one clean 60 right there. Beautiful.

Meanwhile I’m gonna just wait until my 98 4Runner achieves classic status. Thinking about new bumpers and either a khaki or USFS green repaint.
    I’ve seen some with a color called quicksand, that might be on target for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Things that I really want but don’t need.....
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I’ve seen some with a color called quicksand, that might be on target for you.
    Yup. Not sure they make current 4Runners in Quicksand but that color looks dope on the latest Tacomas and Tundras.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Yup. Not sure they make current 4Runners in Quicksand but that color looks dope on the latest Tacomas and Tundras.
    They don't, but they should at least do the TRD Pro off road model in that color...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out.

TLC parked below a canoe hoist / rack.

Snapped while riding, so not sharp but you get the idea.

FWIW, I recognized the futility of my argument from the start - The charade is over, although props to this family for the german wagon / TLC combo... pretty much perfect IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG buy it before I do. That is a flat out steal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to hijack but considering an 4WD manual FJ Cruiser as a toy... Any reason I shouldn't do this??? The manual transmission is what is swaying me over the LC currently...
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Not trying to hijack but considering an 4WD manual FJ Cruiser as a toy... Any reason I shouldn't do this??? The manual transmission is what is swaying me over the LC currently...
    I recently sold my 4WD manual FJ Cruiser after 7 years as my daily driver. If I had the space (or inclination) to have a third car in the family I would have kept it. It was every bit as good as my Wranglers off road, with the added benefit of a fully enclosed vehicle with better cargo capacity. And, for my average sized bikes, I could transport them inside fully upright. For what it is, the FJ is awesome. But it was less than mediocre on the highway, which is where I do almost all my driving these days, so I got a car for the better acceleration, braking and handling (not to mention gas mileage). The other reason I sold it is the values are crazy high since Toyota discontinued the model and I had a chance to unload it while my total cost of ownership was comically low. I'll probably regret selling it one day, but the STI that replaced it is my favorite car I've ever had, so probably not for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I recently sold my 4WD manual FJ Cruiser after 7 years as my daily driver. If I had the space (or inclination) to have a third car in the family I would have kept it. It was every bit as good as my Wranglers off road, with the added benefit of a fully enclosed vehicle with better cargo capacity. And, for my average sized bikes, I could transport them inside fully upright. For what it is, the FJ is awesome. But it was less than mediocre on the highway, which is where I do almost all my driving these days, so I got a car for the better acceleration, braking and handling (not to mention gas mileage). The other reason I sold it is the values are crazy high since Toyota discontinued the model and I had a chance to unload it while my total cost of ownership was comically low. I'll probably regret selling it one day, but the STI that replaced it is my favorite car I've ever had, so probably not for a while.
    I can end up driving 20-25k miles a year so I'd keep the Honda Fit for that, looking for something that would be fun for those days when I'm not driving a ton and too mix things up a bit. I have a line on a decent deal on one but yea, a lot of them are tremendously over-priced even considering the Toyota longevity.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    I can end up driving 20-25k miles a year so I'd keep the Honda Fit for that, looking for something that would be fun for those days when I'm not driving a ton and too mix things up a bit. I have a line on a decent deal on one but yea, a lot of them are tremendously over-priced even considering the Toyota longevity.
    I was shocked at how much I got for mine. They are fun, though. Especially if you like driving off road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant lose with that purchase. Fix it. Drive it. Part it out. win win win. If I was closer or in the position to store another TLC, it would be mine.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

!!!! I'm in the hunt for a vehicle too!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add a little fuel to the fire. I've loved Land Cruisers for years for their relative scarcity and their prowess in extreme conditions like potholes and even light gravel roads.

Jay Leno's Garage rarely fails to please.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gravel bike.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a truck that's so nice that Jonathan Ward should keep his grubby mitts off of it, IMHO:

1983 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ6 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending October 25 (Lot #13 ,519) | Bring a Trailer
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    their prowess in extreme conditions like potholes and even light gravel roads.
    I drove mine...wait for it...through a field this weekend. There were even a few small rocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I’ve managed to get the wife to come around on the idea of getting an LX470. She will be on sabbatical first of the year and will be living in Corvallis for a couple months. She’s going to need a car for that time (my brother and some other family live in Portland) and this will be her DD in lieu of renting. The plan is to replace my car as it is becoming more of a hassle with upkeep especially wrt to chasing electrical gremlins and it is starting to get some rust in spots that could be difficult to fix.

Probably going to get one out of Los Angeles, as there seem to be a bunch of them there.

The copious fuel consumption isn’t a big issue, as I don’t drive the car a lot and what I have now doesn’t exactly sip the gas. I need something for hauling visitors around, going to Costco, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    So I’ve managed to get the wife to come around on the idea of getting an LX470. She will be on sabbatical first of the year and will be living in Corvallis for a couple months. She’s going to need a car for that time (my brother and some other family live in Portland) and this will be her DD in lieu of renting. The plan is to replace my car as it is becoming more of a hassle with upkeep especially wrt to chasing electrical gremlins and it is starting to get some rust in spots that could be difficult to fix.

Probably going to get one out of Los Angeles, as there seem to be a bunch of them there.

The copious fuel consumption isn’t a big issue, as I don’t drive the car a lot and what I have now doesn’t exactly sip the gas. I need something for hauling visitors around, going to Costco, etc.
    I have a 99. I would recommend finding a 98-01. In 02 navigation started taking over the dash, and in 03 they did the refresh and they all have it. You also have no use for the 5th gear in the updated transmission once you get it home...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My budget is putting me into that area. That seems to be a sweet spot for price and features.