User Tag List

Thread: Pimiento peppers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pimiento peppers

I have a bumper crop of big fat (probably smoky tasting) Pimientos.

Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pimiento peppers

make some hot sauce! dry some for later use.

A big batch of chili

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make some ajvar sauce. Sort of a riff on babaganoush. You can make it as hot or not as you like. When I first came across it, the sauce was served with a bowl of salted boiled potatoes. You want small round potatoes. Boil them with a generous amount of salt (2-3 tbsp) in the water until they are just soft enough to stick a fork into them but still pretty firm (potato version of al dente.) Drain, pat dry, and roll in a bowl with more salt so the potatoes are fully encrusted. Then set out on paper towels to dry. You want them to look like found objects from the shores of the Dead Sea. The salt in the water keeps the potatoes from leaching out their goodness into the boiling water, and then rolling them in salt afterwards traps moistness inside the potato but makes the outside crusty and peel-y. I've seen people put the potatoes on a baking sheet and give them a quick blast in a hot oven too, but the skin just burned when I tried that. Anyway, then you serve them room temp with the ajvar and something cold to drink. Hand food. Pick up a potato, dip it in the ajvar and eat. Surprisingly good!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can forward 1-2 Carolina Reapers your way if you'd like to mix your peppers with a little bit of death warmed over. My one kid grew them so I can attest to their origin. Yours look like they have a Scoville rating of 100-500 SHU's so if you add his to your mix, you can push 850,000 SHU and have a helluva salsa.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks folks.

Yes, these are sweet, not hot. Remarkable flavour actually.

I have lots of Cayenne’s and Habaneros for heat. The Habaneros have done really well this year - very hot and smoky, will be interesting to see what they taste like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Make some ajvar sauce. Sort of a riff on babaganoush. You can make it as hot or not as you like. When I first came across it, the sauce was served with a bowl of salted boiled potatoes. You want small round potatoes. Boil them with a generous amount of salt (2-3 tbsp) in the water until they are just soft enough to stick a fork into them but still pretty firm (potato version of al dente.) Drain, pat dry, and roll in a bowl with more salt so the potatoes are fully encrusted. Then set out on paper towels to dry. You want them to look like found objects from the shores of the Dead Sea. The salt in the water keeps the potatoes from leaching out their goodness into the boiling water, and then rolling them in salt afterwards traps moistness inside the potato but makes the outside crusty and peel-y. I've seen people put the potatoes on a baking sheet and give them a quick blast in a hot oven too, but the skin just burned when I tried that. Anyway, then you serve them room temp with the ajvar and something cold to drink. Hand food. Pick up a potato, dip it in the ajvar and eat. Surprisingly good!
    Now that looks nteresting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are other ways to encrust the potatoes. You can boil them in super salt saturated water (NYTimes says 8 cups of water to 1.5 cups of salt) then let them dry and salt encrust after the potatoes are done. A Portuguese lady I met says she puts the salty water and potatoes in a lasagna pan and bakes the water off leaving cooked salt encrusted potatoes. My way is easier - you don't have to time anything perfectly to avoid melting a pan in your oven, the inside of the potato tastes better (especially with fresh potatoes) and there is still plenty of salt stuck to the outside of the potato.

And there are a lot of recipes for ajvar. One of those cultural things where everyone in the countries around Serbia (including Turkey) has a version and says they invented it.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-22-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books