User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mission impossible> donīt believe the hype.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mission impossible> donīt believe the hype.

There is no story. No drama. It felt like i was watching the circus. Tom Cruise should hire a scriptwriter. He is a good acrobat but acting and dialogue will better his movies.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mission impossible> donīt believe the hype.

I cannot watch him. Risky Business was the apex.

If you are casting about for the antidote to Hollywood fiction, I can recommend this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Top Gun sequel coming.

Most of the movies I watch are on TCM, they have screen writers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not even a good acrobat, all of those stunts are done with the aid of computer graphics; he does the majority of his own stunts, a couple he got injured doing, but kudos to him for doing that stuff and especially now that's he's older, but doing those stunts doesn't make him a good actor, it only makes him a good stunt man; see:

I don't watch his movies either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    He's not even a good acrobat, all of those stunts are done with the aid of computer graphics; he does the majority of his own stunts, a couple he got injured doing, but kudos to him for doing that stuff and especially now that's he's older, but doing those stunts doesn't make him a good actor, it only makes him a good stunt man; see:

I don't watch his movies either.
    Tom Cruise is a bad producer: problem w/ this MI installment is that there isnīt anything to act. There is no story and no script. You may build an action movie under these circumstances but it needs a lot of inspiration. Poor Henry Calvill goes from one take to the other without any clue of what he is doing there.
    I liked Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder: he can do comedy. Just donīt give him full control of any movie.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Action movies" in general suck IMO.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    "Action movies" in general suck IMO.
    I get what you are saying but some retain a minimum of dramatic tension generated by characters and story. This one is entirely about stunts.
    What annoys me the most is the hype played on reviews pretending itīs good entertainment. It isnīt because you cannot get involved in the story when there is no story being told.
    I bought tickets based on those reviews and now i am frustrated.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like watching him run. It doesn't look right. It makes me laugh like a comedy routine. It's like watching Benny Hill ride a bike. It gets worse with age. It's a short guy who is not very fast, trying to act like he is not a short guy running fast.

Just randomnly click through the video below. You'll laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I like watching him run. It doesn't look right. It makes me laugh like a comedy routine. It's like watching Benny Hill ride a bike. It gets worse with age. It's a short guy who is not very fast, trying to act like he is not a short guy running fast.

Just randomnly click through the video below. You'll laugh.

He believes his arms are aerodynamic.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some movies I watch for a while and turn them off when I conclude that they were way more fun to make than they are to watch.

(Edit) And I realize I just lobbed a softball up there....

(Edit 2) and another....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to post a joke about how you could possibly have high expectations from a Mission:Impossible movie staring Tom Cruise. That just sounds like a recipe for...well, a recipe for no story, bad dialogue and terrible running (thanks for the video Doug). But I checked my trusty IMDB and, damn, that movie got some strong reviews: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (218) - IMDb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    But I checked my trusty IMDB and, damn, that movie got some strong reviews: Mission: Impossible - Fallout (218) - IMDb
    See? Thatīs my point.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatevs
    Everyone's a critic
    I liked it for $7 with my hospital discount
    I like car chases
    I like helicopters
    The brit lady is smokin'
    It was entertaining
    Sometimes life needs an interruption, I read books, mags, newspapers. And I like movies cause their fun. I watched MI growing up as a kid and it hooked me. TC he's ok, how can you possibly live in the public eye and be ~normal~?
    I like riding road, mtb, cross, fixed too. A little variety.
    I can't afford a super duper custom so I get my fix from some mediocre brands at times. Just purchased a Black Mountain Cycles Road + cause I lived near Varley once and went riding with him and he showed me some cool rides around Carlsbad. Disc thrills for a $700 frame. 100X the cost of the movie. Each has it's place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and that's a wrap- but do check out The Rider

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Whatevs
    Everyone's a critic
    I liked it for $7 with my hospital discount
    I like car chases
    I like helicopters
    The brit lady is smokin'
    It was entertaining
    Sometimes life needs an interruption, I read books, mags, newspapers. And I like movies cause their fun. I watched MI growing up as a kid and it hooked me. TC he's ok, how can you possibly live in the public eye and be ~normal~?
    I like riding road, mtb, cross, fixed too. A little variety.
    I can't afford a super duper custom so I get my fix from some mediocre brands at times. Just purchased a Black Mountain Cycles Road + cause I lived near Varley once and went riding with him and he showed me some cool rides around Carlsbad. Disc thrills for a $700 frame. 100X the cost of the movie. Each has it's place.
    Exactly. I watch movies as escapism. If I want worse all I need to do is turn on the news. Tom Cruise is not a great actor but he’s not awful either and is really more of a movie star than a great artist. That said he’s been in some decent movies and I usually find him entertaining.

I thought his role in Rock of Ages was fantastic and totally atypical of his usual characters.

He’s a bizarre man personally as far as I can tell with this whole Scientology thing but I find it hard to hate his movies. He’s a movie star. Maybe not a great actor but not an awful one and he fits the movie star role to the letter.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However bad his movies might be, if I were to sit here I would be shaking so hard it wouldn't even be funny:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I LOVED the last one. Friendship over and against the Leviathan/Nation-state. Good times.

Our tradition in grad school was to sneak beer into movies (how's that for a buncha seminarians?), Oscar-worthy and not. My personal faves from those days have been Gravity, Bird Man, Revenant, Hateful 8, Mad Max, etc.. so good ones. Like, I think I have good taste. Obviously the MIs are not of the Oscar echelon, but c'mon they are super fun. Have heard from the old gang the new MI is v. v. good. Want to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Exactly. I watch movies as escapism. If I want worse all I need to do is turn on the news. Tom Cruise is not a great actor but he’s not awful either and is really more of a movie star than a great artist. That said he’s been in some decent movies and I usually find him entertaining.

I thought his role in Rock of Ages was fantastic and totally atypical of his usual characters.

He’s a bizarre man personally as far as I can tell with this whole Scientology thing but I find it hard to hate his movies. He’s a movie star. Maybe not a great actor but not an awful one and he fits the movie star role to the letter.
    Sure.. and all that ... I like Tom Cruise and like movies as fun too! TC is a riot as a Harvey Weinstein parody in Tropic Thunder. I like him in many movies.
    Itīs just this last MI which is boring. All the rave reviews seem fake.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fake...this is a series of movies that in the first MI sees the hero be blown forward off a helicopter travelling in a train tunnel and onto the back of a TGV...and you're worried about fake?

Good old Tom Cruise...yep the Scientology is extremely odd, jumping on Oprah's couch over Katie Holmes was odd and the media/stage management of his relationships is a tad sad (marry a pocket rocket if the height thing is a problem)...but he has been a wide variety of entertaining and interesting movies. Risky Business ("I think you jumped on your bike, pedaled home and whacked off"), Top Gun, Rain Man, Born on the 4th of July, A Few Good Men ("You can't handle the truth"), Minority Report, Collateral and of course the MI films (the second was rubbish though). Sure there's some junk in there (Days of Thunder) but on the whole they are entertaining. I'm sure the latest MI film is in much the same vein as the others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Fake...this is a series of movies that in the first MI sees the hero be blown forward off a helicopter travelling in a train tunnel and onto the back of a TGV...and you're worried about fake?

Good old Tom Cruise...yep the Scientology is extremely odd, jumping on Oprah's couch over Katie Holmes was odd and the media/stage management of his relationships is a tad sad (marry a pocket rocket if the height thing is a problem)...but he has been a wide variety of entertaining and interesting movies. Risky Business ("I think you jumped on your bike, pedaled home and whacked off"), Top Gun, Rain Man, Born on the 4th of July, A Few Good Men ("You can't handle the truth"), Minority Report, Collateral and of course the MI films (the second was rubbish though). Sure there's some junk in there (Days of Thunder) but on the whole they are entertaining. I'm sure the latest MI film is in much the same vein as the others.
    Donīt forget the one he did w/ Kubrick... Eyes wide shut.. i believe thatīs the title. Kubrick taught him to move as little as possible when acting and he has applying the rule in all his movies ever since.
    I donīt cmind his off cameras behaviour. I like the firts MI that Brian De Palma directed but imo the franchise is getting worse on every movie.
    I did like Jack Reacher. The first one was very good w/ an awesome Werner Herzog scary russian villain. Btw.. I like Cruise fight scenes.
    slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast