Thread: LBJ and cyclilng

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LBJ and cyclilng

Donald Trump and the Black Athlete - The New York Times

Which one of these two guys is setting a good example for the rest of country?

James will give every child in this school a bike and a helmet. He is a biking enthusiast for reasons that extend beyond cardiovascular benefit: From James’s earliest childhood days, when he lived in a tiny apartment just up an embankment from Cuyahoga Valley railroad tracks, the bike stood as a symbol of freedom. It allowed him to pedal out of his down-at-the-heels neighborhood and explore a larger world.

The bike and sport gave him freedom, he told Lemon, and allowed him to meet and befriend white kids and to see a world laden with possibility. “I got an opportunity to see them and learn about them,” he said of white kids, “and they got an opportunity to learn about me, and we became very good friends.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LBJ and cyclilng

I thought this was going to be something regarding Lyndon Baines Johnson.

But yeah, LeBron's school > Trump University, for instance...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Akron. Lebron does an awful lot for his hometown. He's helped to rehab homes and playgrounds. Prior to opening this school his foundation has run summer school programs for at risk youth. For those unaware, summer is the toughest period for low income parents. Working parents can struggle to find food and daycare for their kids. He helped a lot with that.

The kids in his program are also guaranteed tuition to University of Akron. The new school is just a further extension of that.

On the bike side of things, he's done a lot. The bikes giveaway started as a bikeathon he ran every year. It's changed a bit, but he gives 300 some bikes away to underprivileged kids every year. At this point it's a couple thousand bikes he's donated. Kids have also gotten laptops, school supplies, and clothing.

Before they were bought out by Dorel he was a part owner in Cannondale. He has a ginormous Cannondale 29er hardtail that you occasionally see him riding around town with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I live in Akron. Lebron does an awful lot for his hometown. He's helped to rehab homes and playgrounds. Prior to opening this school his foundation has run summer school programs for at risk youth. For those unaware, summer is the toughest period for low income parents. Working parents can struggle to find food and daycare for their kids. He helped a lot with that.

The kids in his program are also guaranteed tuition to University of Akron. The new school is just a further extension of that.

On the bike side of things, he's done a lot. The bikes giveaway started as a bikeathon he ran every year. It's changed a bit, but he gives 300 some bikes away to underprivileged kids every year. At this point it's a couple thousand bikes he's donated. Kids have also gotten laptops, school supplies, and clothing.

Before they were bought out by Dorel he was a part owner in Cannondale. He has a ginormous Cannondale 29er hardtail that you occasionally see him riding around town with.
    Great to hear about this! Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I thought this was going to be something regarding Lyndon Baines Johnson.
    I thought so too and I'm an NBA fan. Went right over my head.

I thought I'd read something about President LBJ and Schwinn Varsities from the 1960s. Or at least that's what I was hoping for.

LeBron's philanthropy in his hometown is well known and a great example for others of his stature. It would be nice to see other super high profile athletes with more money than any normal person can imagine doing something like this. I'm thinking Tiger, A-Rod, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc. I know some of them do some charity work to exploit their celebrity but LeBron James takes it to another level, as he does with so many things.
    La Cheeserie!