Thread: OT Elon Musk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT Elon Musk

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    My argument against the touchscreens being heavy would be linked to using glass for the screen; I also just don't like how much complexity they add (which is funny coming from a software engineer).
    I used to be a software engineer, though now I'm just a suit who goes to meetings, and I'm 100% with you. In a car I want knobs I can turn without looking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    In a car I want knobs I can turn without looking.
    amen!
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be a software engineer, though now I'm just a suit who goes to meetings, and I'm 100% with you. In a car I want knobs I can turn without looking.
    Preach.

I had a Renault rental for about 6 months and it was a nightmare. Temperature controls, volume, etc. were all on the touchscreen with not a single knob or button in sight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^This. In my Ridgeline I've got a knob for stereo volume. In the higher end trims they have a more complicated touch screen interface with a "slider" button on it. It's universally hated.

That said, with the steering wheel controls I rarely use the knob.

We've got a rental Impala right now...a nice one, leather interior, V6 (I assume...it's pretty strong for a grocery getter) but it's so much worse than the Accord (got hit while my wife was a work, in the shop now). The Chevy is a larger car, with a more cramped interior. The infotainment system sucks even worse than Hondas, which aren't very good. There's no audio controls on the steering wheel. Visibility is limited, especially out the back. Wouldn't recommend.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 08-09-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next car will be a used, mid-sixties Lancia. Well built and engineered, and undervalued. No computers.

Something like this would do nicely: 1962 Lancia Flavia Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - ending August 1 (Lot #11 ,532) | Bring a Trailer

As for Tesla, let's all hope that the debt load of a select group, Netflix, etc, doesn't crater the market. Seems a bit exuberant to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    ^^This. In my Ridgeline I've got a knob for stereo volume. In the higher end trims they have a more complicated touch screen interface with a "slider" button on it. It's universally hated.

That said, with the steering wheel controls I rarely use the knob.

We've got a rental Impala right now...a nice one, leather interior, V6 (I assume...it's pretty strong for a grocery getter) but it's so much worse than the Accord (got hit while my wife was a work, in the shop now). The Chevy is a larger car, with a more cramped interior. The infotainment system sucks even worse than Hondas, which aren't very good. There's no audio controls on the steering wheel. Visibility is limited, especially out the back. Wouldn't recommend.
    Serious thread drift here, but along with other cars I lust after, I've considered a simple Honda Accord Hybrid for my next vehicle. I drive *way* too much at the moment and 47 MPG sounds tempting. It's available in the Touring trim which has some things I like (upgraded sound and ventilated seats, to name a couple) and isn't killer expensive, though it's not exactly cheap in this trim either.

But 47 MPG city/highway/combined is tempting, especially in a car that's reasonable to drive and doesn't look like a 1980s sci-fi prop.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sometimes wonder if Musk and Trump drink from the same bottle of Slurp juice...i.e. “everything and everyone are against me and you can’t possibly be right if you don’t agree with me.”
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    Chevy Bolt. It's not "cool" but it's a solid car.
    Think it was Forbes which had a short story in the last month or so saying basically the same.

Paraphrased: "Everyone interested in an electric car should at least look at the Bolt".

Looked at one and was interested. But 2010 Golf is still running well and can't justify new just for sake of new. I believe, and hope it's accurate, that the green and smart thing to do is run a car until it turns into dust and only replace when absolutely necessary.

Also - Knobs vs touch screens. Knobs all the way. If I can't find the knob w/out looking after a short period of acclimation its not a proper cockpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Musk is a fascinating person. I have been intrigued by the hot rod aspect of the big battery Teslas for some time. I am concerned, however, about the very closed nature of the supply chain for spare parts and after sales service. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and the reports of regular door handle, touch screen and drive motor replacement in many of these cars is very concerning. This is skewed, obviously, by the fact that ALL services have to be performed by Tesla, and ALL spares are to be installed by Tesla. There are no independent avenues of repair or maintenance. I'm used to high prices for maintenance and repair (Porsche tax, thank you very much). To compare -- Porsche parts are plentiful, and there are lots of independent shops out there. This is not the case with Tesla. The repair costs for out of warranty Teslas are daunting to me -- $8k for a drive motor, $1k for door handles? All of the blogs that I've seen mention regular replacement of these items under warranty, and there is no reason to suspect that will change out of warranty. There are essentially no cars past the eight year factory powertrain warranty at this point.

Anybody out there have some independent data points/experience that they could share? I really like the cars and their design philosophy, however, it seems that the hubris associated with Tesla ownership has a dark center of temporary affiliation. It appears that there is no other financially viable option to keep a "green" car on the road for a long period of time without using Tesla service, as they control the parts supply even past the warranty period. So, is this something to lease/own short term and then dump, much like other tech devices?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in a car, the vision is already consumed so any input using a pad is a distraction. as a feedback mechanism, it should be fine. that is how I use my leaf. input via steering wheel and screens to validate. input via screens seems like accident fodder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both my Subaru and my wife's Volvo have pretty touch heavy control screens, but the steering wheel inputs are very well thought out and there are just enough knobs to handle all the important stuff without looking at the screen. Best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next iteration is all voice controlled anyway, so forget the knobs and forget the flat screen.
    The flat screen is just going to be there to watch a movie while your car drives

I'm just looking forward to the day my AI controlled car is integrated with Wayze where other AI controlled cars can give realtime updates on police locations, so my AI car can speed with impunity.

The things to look forward to. If my AI car does happen to get stopped by the police, my AI Car is linked to a legal chatbot who can argue about the law on the spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Serious thread drift here, but along with other cars I lust after, I've considered a simple Honda Accord Hybrid for my next vehicle. I drive *way* too much at the moment and 47 MPG sounds tempting. It's available in the Touring trim which has some things I like (upgraded sound and ventilated seats, to name a couple) and isn't killer expensive, though it's not exactly cheap in this trim either.

But 47 MPG city/highway/combined is tempting, especially in a car that's reasonable to drive and doesn't look like a 1980s sci-fi prop.
    More thread drift.

Ours is a 2015 LX model w/the 2.4L 4-cylinder (no turbo, all the newer Honda's have itty bit turbo motors). We leave it in the 'Eco' mode all the time, it's got plenty of power. It routinely gets over 30mpg running around town, and on longer trips it'll do low 40's.

It's the wife's car. When shopping for it we drove the Accord, a Lexus ES350, Lexus IS250, whatever the Hyundai version of the Accord is, an Acura ILX, and an Acura TLX. And a Honda HRV. She thought she wanted a Lexus...but the ES "feels like a grandma car" and the IS was too stiff (it actually rode worse than my lowered Civic Si, I was shocked by that...). She loved the Accord.

And oh yeah, it's got a CVT. I love the CVT actually, I'd pick it over a standard automatic any day. Never have to wait for it to shift when it's in the wrong gear.

Now my Ridgeline, I never use the Eco mode. It's retards the throttle response sooooooo much, and doesn't improve mileage any. I might use it on a long trip with lots of cruise control use, but around town, it SUCKS.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 08-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Think it was Forbes which had a short story in the last month or so saying basically the same.

Paraphrased: "Everyone interested in an electric car should at least look at the Bolt".
    We have a neighbor who is leasing a Bolt. It was hard to find a dealer who was willing to actually transact the lease, but he pays $100 a month in lease payments and a few grand down at signing. He got solar cells on his house as well so his fuel bill is $0. Given that there's almost no maintenance costs, esp with a leased vehicle, his transportation costs are negligible. He raves about the car. Tried to convince my wife, but she wanted something bigger and wasn't sold on the styling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbh View Post
    We have a neighbor who is leasing a Bolt. It was hard to find a dealer who was willing to actually transact the lease, but he pays $100 a month in lease payments and a few grand down at signing. He got solar cells on his house as well so his fuel bill is $0. Given that there's almost no maintenance costs, esp with a leased vehicle, his transportation costs are negligible. He raves about the car. Tried to convince my wife, but she wanted something bigger and wasn't sold on the styling.
    If you're interested in a Bolt you'll have to convince your wife soon. GM will be the next company to max out on the $7500 EV tax credits (which is why the lease cost was low). It'll probably happen this winter or early spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=ides1056;920340]My next car will be a used, mid-sixties Lancia. Well built and engineered, and undervalued. No computers.

Something like this would do nicely: 1962 Lancia Flavia Coupe for sale on BaT Auctions - ending August 1 (Lot #11 ,532) | Bring a Trailer

It sold for 39K. Out of my league.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Musk and Trump drink from the same bottle of Slurp juice...i.e. “everything and everyone are against me and you can’t possibly be right if you don’t agree with me.”
    Yeah, it's called toxic narcissism, and it's a helluva drug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A complete auto industry novice decides to jump in and compete with Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. What could go wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouverdave View Post
    A complete auto industry novice decides to jump in and compete with Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. What could go wrong?
    What ever happened to that cocky bicycle company that decided to go up against Honda and Yamaha in the off-road motorcycle market?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12