Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
Thanks Curt.

I've got two of Don Ferris' frames that were finished by Spectrum, and I always assumed that both were all-powder, not a combo of powder & paint. The first one was a single-color with clear over graphics that could take the heat from baking. I'm almost certain he said that it was all-powder. The second one had a much more intricate flame-job, and I always assumed it too was all-powder, but now I'm not sure. Doesn't really matter, both continue to look great after several years & many miles of use. Still curious, though - Don, can you answer this?

FWIW, I certainly agree with you on wet paint for a fine lugged frame - can't beat the "crispness" it provides.
What type of paint they use with powder depends on the colors being used. So for your FG, it's pearl (IIRC) with silver accents, so the accents would be wet paint, the pearl & the clear coat would be powder. For the blue bike, it's all powder. Some intricate powder bikes have to be clear coated with wet paint because the colors would bleed when they baked the powder clear coat. Reds used to have the most problems with this but it's been a few years since I've dealt with this kind of stuff in any detail.

I'll see if Mark would like to add anything to this thread and get the straight scoop.