Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike racks -hitch mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bike racks -hitch mount

I have decided that it is finally time to give up on the roof racks and looking at hitch mounts.

The two that seem to be, at least ubiquitous, are the Thule X2 and the Yakima Dr. Rack.

Any thoughts, experience, etc?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike racks -hitch mount

I'm waiting for the QuikRack to become available. It's designed by the original designer of the 1-Up USA rack, which is fantastic, but the QuickRack incorporates a bunch of improvements. Previously, I had a Kuat NV rack, but prefer the 1-Up to the Kuat. Lots of threads ath about hitch racks.

QUIK-RACK MACH 2 OFFICIAL SITE MADE IN THE USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I'm waiting for the QuikRack to become available. It's designed by the original designer of the 1-Up USA rack, which is fantastic, but the QuickRack incorporates a bunch of improvements. Previously, I had a Kuat NV rack, but prefer the 1-Up to the Kuat. Lots of threads ath about hitch racks.

I just bought a Kuat NV rack yesterday to replace my old Kuat which got trashed yesterday as a result of me being rearended. The nice thing is the Kuat sustained all damage and there is not a scratch on my car. I needed a rack this weekend so I got another Kuat. If I had the time I would bought a 1-UP because they are made in the USA and I ones I played with a very nice. Nicer in terms of durablity feel than Kuat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone I know who's ever had a 1Up says it's the best they've ever had, and they never buy anything else again.

I've got a Kuat, it's good.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should clarify my post above. Years ago, I looked into hitch racks pretty extensively and ended up with the Kuat NV. It’s beautifully finished, and has a lot of great features (the built-in workstand is cool). I eventually sold it and replaced it with a 1-Up. The 1-Up met its end last fall in a rear-end collision, so I am in the market for a replacement. I would get the 1-Up again, but the improvements over it in the QuikRack have me waiting for it to become available.

Like joosttx, the 1-Up took the brunt of the impact, although the second tray did end up scraping the car slightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That QuikRack (terrible name) looks pretty sweet, and the price is a lot better than the 1Up.

They need a better picture on their homepage tho...that WalMart bike doesn't make a good first impression. The 1Up site looks WAY better.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not disagree with anyone but KUAT is built so sweet. Go check one out. Hard to argue with built in anti-wobble, cable locks and a bike repair stand.

If you raise your hand high enough there are a bunch of Vsalonista shop owners (hint) who will drop ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Kuat around and had thought of them but we don’t seem to have a dealer anywhere around anymore.

The only ones I see available locally are Thule, Yakima and Swagman.

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I see Kuat around and had thought of them but we don’t seem to have a dealer anywhere around anymore.

The only ones I see available locally are Thule, Yakima and Swagman.

Thanks all.
    Read my comments above. Ask for help. It's Vsalon dewd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm waiting for the QuikRack to become available. It's designed by the original designer of the 1-Up USA rack, which is fantastic, but the QuickRack incorporates a bunch of improvements. Previously, I had a Kuat NV rack, but prefer the 1-Up to the Kuat. Lots of threads ath about hitch racks. QUIK-RACK MACH 2 OFFICIAL SITE MADE IN THE USA
    The ONLY reason not to get the QR / 1Up over the kuat/thule/yakima is price ...the former never on sale and the lattr three often can be found 20% off through REI etc.

I have a T2. Its nice but heavy. I take it off and have a furniture dolly I use to rll it from my driveway to the garage corner where it sits. The great thing about the 1UP is you can get a one bike version. that is really handy.

When my T2 dies, I will get a Quick Rack but I don't have enough use to warrant the effort and loss to sell/re-purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a huge fan of Kuat. I have the original NV and the NV 2.0. They are built incredibly well and hold any kind of bike. Between the two I have, they probably have 60,000 miles on them.

I dig that they include locks with the rack.

Also they sell parts individually if you need to replace something.

They have a neat adapter to turn the built in work stand in to a stand alone one. I use the "tri doc" as my rack in my desert place.

Their roof basket is pretty cool too,.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Everyone I know who's ever had a 1Up says it's the best they've ever had, and they never buy anything else again.

I've got a Kuat, it's good.
    I have 1Up on my Thule cross bars and have to say, I can't imagine buying anything else again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-up. Buy a hitch rack once and be done. Add-ons, adaptors for fat tires, alu machined in US.
    The only other rack folks around here seem pleased with outside of 1-UP would be Kuat. It's a distant second.

Also use a 1-UP on the van roof for the tandem. SOLID, no sway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1-Up racks “squeeze” the bike. I don’t like the way they load/stress the steer tube when they clamp the bike.

Kuat sold out, no longer made in USA.

IMHO, Saris still has the best rack in the Superclamp. I think you can buy them online now. Made in USA, well thought out clamping system, not as expensive as Kuat or some of the other hyped brands. I’ve had one for going on four years now, and it pretty much lives on my truck. No problems, very stable, nice lock system, super quick to use.

That said, I did see use a newer Yakima roof rack the other day that worked really well, and also did not squeeze the bike... but I am not sure if that is made as a hitch rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    1-Up racks “squeeze” the bike. I don’t like the way they load/stress the steer tube when they clamp the bike.

IMHO, Saris still has the best rack in the Superclamp. I think you can buy them online now. Made in USA, well thought out clamping system, not as expensive as Kuat or some of the other hyped brands. I’ve had one for going on four years now, and it pretty much lives on my truck. No problems, very stable, nice lock system, super quick to use.

That said, I did see use a newer Yakima roof rack the other day that worked really well, and also did not squeeze the bike... but I am not sure if that is made as a hitch rack.
    You read my mind, was wondering about the superclamp. Made up the road from me in Wisco. I'll probably go this way. Do you think it would work on a bike with full fenders? I have a rando bike that I need to haul .. .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m curious what you mean by “squeeze” the bike. The 1-Up rack retention arms hold the front and rear wheels. If they squeeze anything, they squeeze the tires. Not sure how they put stress on the headtube—they’re just holding the bike upright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m curious what you mean by “squeeze” the bike. The 1-Up rack retention arms hold the front and rear wheels. If they squeeze anything, they squeeze the tires. Not sure how they put stress on the headtube—they’re just holding the bike upright.
    And they certainly aren't putting as much stress on the bike as actually riding the thing.

As for the Saris - if you want to use something with fenders, that's the only way to go. That said, I don't like it because it's grabbing the frame. If you've got some dirt on the bike (and I usually do), put a clamp on it, then vibrate it for a couple hours while driving around, that can't be good for the paint.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 06-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

I see that they say "universal hitch mount" for either 1.25" or 2" hitches. How solid is it given this? does it just hold firm or does it rattle around?

Of course my desire to get a hitch rack is for going back and forth to AZ. That may all become moot soon if we are deemed to be National Security threats and can no longer go south .........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I see that they say "universal hitch mount" for either 1.25" or 2" hitches. How solid is it given this? does it just hold firm or does it rattle around?

Of course my desire to get a hitch rack is for going back and forth to AZ. That may all become moot soon if we are deemed to be National Security threats and can no longer go south .........
    The 2 inch fits a 2 inch receiver. The1.25 fits a 1.25 receiver. They sell (as do auto parts stores) an adapter that makes the 1.25 fit in a 2 inch receiver. Both of the 1 up’s I have are 2 inch because that is a more common hitch type so those are the receivers I have...in other words boat trailers or other things you can think of will need a 2 inch. BTW, I bought my second 1up after the QR’s came out because I saw the “improvements” to be nothing more than an excuse for the original inventor to renege on his sale non-compete and were solutions looking for a problem. In other words totally bogus and unnecessary. Back to your original question...get a 2 inch receiver and a 2 inch rack and nothing will beat it and it will be solid as a rock ATMO. And to put perspective on it...I have at least one hitch on one car going the 469 miles each way between the two places I live once a week.

Oh, and another thing...I got the two bike rack first but the next one I got a one bike rack and the extra rack you add on. That was the best solution I wish I had realized when I got the first rack.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing...you might want to consider a hitch extender (thru the rack manufacturer or auto parts store)...depends on your car and the hitch receiver. Makes getting in and out of the hatch on one car easier if the rack is on the car and even if there is a bike on the rack. On the other car it isn’t necessary. But the one it is nice to have it was worth the 50ish bucks.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast