User Tag List

Thread: Adirondack chair geometry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Adirondack chair geometry?

I'm going to make a bench using the geometry of a classic Adirondack chair. I have a decent example to use as a pattern, but would like to know if you have a great example, or know what the "classic" pattern is, or have any tweaks to make it even better. Looking for:

• Angles of seat and back.
    • Length of seat from forward edge to intersect with back.
    • Height of seat at forward edge (above ground).
    • Height of armrests (above ground).

Thanks!
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Adirondack chair geometry?

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I'm going to make a bench using the geometry of a classic Adirondack chair. I have a decent example to use as a pattern, but would like to know if you have a great example, or know what the "classic" pattern is, or have any tweaks to make it even better. Looking for:

• Angles of seat and back. Seat: 8 degrees (mine's actually curved to tushy contours so I took an average); Back: 25.8 degrees.
    • Length of seat from forward edge to intersect with back. 17 inches.
    • Height of seat at forward edge (above ground). 16.25 inches.
    • Height of armrests (above ground). 23 9/16, sloping down to 23 inches.

Thanks!
    For what it's worth, I have a Baldwin chair. Built to hold your mother-in-law. Locally made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made these. They are variously named, but I know them as the Wave Hill Chair after the house in Riverdale NY where you can order the plans.

The chairs here are about 20 years old now. I made them out of pressure treated pine with stainless steel screws. They are a modified Reitveld red and blue chair design, and I like them better than the Adirondack. The back is very comfortable, because the slats (10" wide) are spaced to allow your spine to fit in-between. However, some places finding 10" wide treated board is a tough ask. They are pretty easily made in multiples if you make a jig for a chop saw with flip down stops, then fit the different pieces for the sides, right and left, into a flat jig that holds them in proper position and screw together. I made a bunch of them, and once I had the jigs, it took me a day and a half of cutting and assembly.
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-07-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I made these. They are variously named, but I know them as the Wave Hill Chair after the house in Riverdale NY where you can order the plans.

The chairs here are about 20 years old now. I made them out of pressure treated pine with stainless steel screws. They are a modified Reitveld red and blue chair design, and I like them better than the Adirondack. The back is very comfortable, because the slats (10" wide) are spaced to allow your spine to fit in-between. However, some places finding 10" wide treated board is a tough ask. They are pretty easily made in multiples if you make a jig for a chop saw with flip down stops, then fit the different pieces for the sides, right and left, into a flat jig that holds them in proper position and screw together. I made a bunch of them, and once I had the jigs, it took me a day and a half of cutting and assembly.
    I had never thought about building these, but now I cant wait, thanks!
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since my design will use horizontal boards for the back, it would be easy to add a gentle lumbar curve.

Does anyone have x-y dimensions of a decent lumbar curve?

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd...you might want to take a look at page 26 and interpolate your design dimensions from there.

https://www.steelcase.com/content/up...1/seating1.pdf
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro tip- Slacken the back angle for easier pouring beer or iced tea down your gullet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm late to the thread, but here's a good selection of plans---all for free.

35 Free DIY Adirondack Chair Plans & Ideas for Relaxing in Your Backyard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bench is done and tested, photos to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheSpruceCrafts has a great article about Adirondack chair plans - 18 Free Adirondack Chair Plans You Can DIY Today. It contains 18 ideas and a lot of links on other sites with free plans. I've chosen mine there, made them from Cedar. Looks amazing (better than our chairs from polywood).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

It's funny that you show these. My partner was a gardener at Wave Hill. She is a big fan of them. I am just getting ready to make four of them for her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    It's funny that you show these. My partner was a gardener at Wave Hill. She is a big fan of them. I am just getting ready to make four of them for her.
    Definitely post the results. I am a carpenter only because I know where the lumber store is, but you have some actual skills so I look forward to seeing your version.

One of the very successful builders up here has a side project producing a fancier and (imho) probably not as comfortable chair as it omits the central slot for the spine (which is key I think.) But the wood is nice and in person you can see that they are very well constructed. They are made out of mahogany though. Hopefully sustainably harvested, but a little too bling for me. https://sethchurchillfurniture.com/adirondackchair.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jorn I will. I like how you widened your chairs a bit. Yours are what I am aiming towards. The original Rietweld chair is pretty slim and looks a little uninviting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0B64CB05-A079-4CF2-A5C4-737D8537607D.jpg

These are the Wave Hill chairs completed by my partner’s 14 year old son and I. We used what we had laying around. They are not perfect, but it was a good bonding project to do. They sit pretty upright. Really comfortable.