Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default World Cup 2018

I've got Brazil and Germany tied, with Spain the third favorite, followed by Argentina.

While somebody like France could get hot my gut says it might be Brazil's time far from home and pressure/distractions plus the x-factor which is payback for their 7-1 shellacking by Germany 4 years ago in the semis in Brazil.

Spain has the no 1 goalkeeper, center back, and a loaded midfield but they struggle at striker. Diego Costa doesn't have any form and while he's ranked 8th coming into the tourney at his position I'm not sure he can find the net. That said I don't think anyone wants to play Spain for they definitely have the pieces.

Spain-Portugal kicks off the tourney in 10 days. Russia baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: World Cup 2018

Germany in Russia. Cannot be a good combination. They should have food tasters for the whole team.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can predict :
    - the discussions at the office will be annoying for few weeks
    - a lot of player will do some artistic jumps on the grass pretending they are hurt

I'm glad I will be on holiday, drinking mojitos on the beach and completely unaware of it for the most part.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being French American, I always go for France. my numbers 2 and 3 failed to make ti this year, Holland and USA. So ill pull for Egypt and Germany after France.

The French team is incredible, better than the teams Zidane played on. This is the most well rounded French side maybe ever. They have size, speed, creativity, experience, youth, and incredible depth. You could pick a team of Frenchmen who did not even make the squad who would get past the first round. So all in for France lifting the trophy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm married to a Brazilian ... so yeah. I think it's going to be Brazil/Spain in the final. France is stacked though - not sure how well they can come together and play.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Griezmann is as good as they come. Pogba. Is Benzema on Les Bleus? France should be in the hunt but they've woefully underperformed at the World Cup.

My second squad is Belgium and I always pick a team from Africa to root for maybe Nigeria or Senegal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I’ve watched England play in a World Cup game, I’ve finished up disappointed and wishing I’d gone for a cycle ride on the empty roads instead.

As others have already said, Belgium and France have great squads that need to perform again on the big stage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
    Every time I’ve watched England play in a World Cup game, I’ve finished up disappointed and wishing I’d gone for a cycle ride on the empty roads instead.
    England v. Wales was pretty special last time around

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisn View Post

As others have already said, Belgium and France have great squads that need to perform again on the big stage.
    Don't hesitate this time - go for a ride. England will find some way to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spain just fired its World Cup coach two days before its opener vs Portugal on Friday!

Apparently, Lopetegui took the Real Madrid job and the Spanish Federation got pissed taking immediate action

This could either galvanize or destroy the team's chances this summer. I don't think it will be somewhere in the middle but should be interesting to see how this plays out but, cojones, what a shocker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still say Germany. Just gotta watch that food.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Spain just fired its World Cup coach two days before its opener vs Portugal on Friday!

Apparently, Lopetegui took the Real Madrid job and the Spanish Federation got pissed taking immediate action

This could either galvanize or destroy the team's chances this summer. I don't think it will be somewhere in the middle but should be interesting to see how this plays out but, cojones, what a shocker.
    On some level I get the reaction but I keep coming back to the opinion that this is insane.
    Global soccer really is run by thin skinned morons (and grifters) isn’t it?*

* please no jokes about US government. Too easy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    On some level I get the reaction but I keep coming back to the opinion that this is insane.
    I thought Real Madrid shouldn’t have announced this and certainly not notified the Spanish Fed president 5 minutes before its press conference. He took it personally and overreacted but I think he had the right to.

Above all do what’s best for the team. My gut says that’s not disrupting the coaching staff on the eve of the tournament. It’s unfortunate but the focus should be on Friday’s game.

These things have a funny way of working out. I think either Spain will exit early or win the whole damn thing now. This could galvanize the team to go on a run with an eleventh hour manager who has nothing to lose.

Also I think the coach should have had a hand in not letting this be a distraction from his team. All of the focus should be on the team so he made a big error in judgement in letting this break too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am Canadian so I am hardwired to believe in the underdog. Believe in Iceland! In the last Eurocup they may have lost to France in the quarters but they took down England. I don't know any of their players but I don't care. Iceland vs Nigeria next week is going to be one of the most entertaining and stylistically mis-matched matches of recent years.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened? 4min into the first half and Portugal is up 1-0 already?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    What happened? 4min into the first half and Portugal is up 1-0 already?
    Penaldo ...
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tie. Whew.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I can say is damn, I love soccer. I so wish I could still run. Even beer league soccer is the best. Those guys, though, so light on their feet, so deft, I hate those sons a bitches. Not jealous, no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The passing on the Spanish team's side - tap tap tap tap tap tap tap bang run like hell stop tap tap tap tap tap tap bang score!

I also like how when they lose the ball, they don't just go on defense. They go to get the ball back asap. Everyone.
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-15-2018 at 09:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if you're not a Ronaldo fan, you will enjoy this 2012 flick...Ronaldo: Tested to the Limit. I coached youth soccer for eleven years and when you asked the kids about their favorite player, it wasn't Clint Dempsey, Wayne Rooney or even Lionel Messi...one name...Ronaldo.

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast