Thread: H.J. Horizontal Drop Outs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default H.J. Horizontal Drop Outs

Hey,

Is there any problem bending the Henry James laser cut horizontal to match the chainstay angle. The HJ website says that its OK but I remember reading something about not bending 4130 drop outs because it introduces stresses, etc.

Danke
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: H.J. Horizontal Drop Outs

Do mean the "track" drop outs? They are to be horizontal and are laser cut. Many do as I do, clamp the drop out with the slot in the vice and tap the tab end with a hammer to bend it. By placing the slot/drop out variously in the jaws one can locate the bend fairly easily. BTW at one time the HJ conversion track drop outs were made in 3 different tab "sizes" to best align the stays and tabs when doing a conversion. I like to do this before brazing the drops in but have done so after too without any issues. These drop outs have a lot of material in the tabs so I'd be a lot less concerned then bending some cast "road" drop outs. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: H.J. Horizontal Drop Outs

I second what Andy said.

I have used these DO quite a bit and I always braze them into the chain stays and then bend them to suit by clamping in vise 90 deg to the stay and pulling on the stay making sure everything is stabilized at the same time. . After they are fit up to the BB shell I do the seat stay bend.

My method is to place in vise and grab the tab with a large crescent wrench. Make sure you protect the faces with aluminum or brass because the vise or wrench can dent or mar them.

The HJ DO have always bent with a good feel even after brazing. Be careful not to temper the DO by quenching in water when they are red hot. I did this once early on to a set of front DO and when I went to set the bend they snapped due to being brittle. (I don't know what material the front DO were). So let air cool etc.
    Hale Sramek
    halekai machine