User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip-on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip-on

For about 10+ years I worked in NYC advertising agencies and new media companies so when the weather was bad and I was on the subway, I would wear rain/snow boots and carry my dress shoes to put on when I got to work. For about 10+ years after that I worked in k-12 schools and did the same.

I recently accepted a role at a local liberal arts college leading the client technical support services team which means I will be walking around campus for meetings and checking-in with my team and student workers. I will be in khakis with a coat and tie most of the year. I will forgo the coat and tie over the summer.

I looked through the boots thread but could not find what I needed so I am looking for recommendations. I need a professional looking chukka boot that I can wear with khakis, coat, and tie when the weather is bad. I would like them to be weather proof but weather resistant is fine too. I will be wearing them all day because I do not want to swap dress shoes for rain/snow boots every time I need to leave my office (several times a day) and walk to another building on campus. I would prefer brown because I think they are more versatile but a cordovan red or even black might work too. They should be of high quality but not so much that I need to worry will be ruined by New England weather.

I am asking because I worry that my dress shoes (mostly Brooks Brothers by Alden) will get ruined with the water and salt that is so prevalent in the North East.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip

I get by with suede desert boots or Bean boots, but I can see the attraction of what you have in mind.

This seems like the sort of piece that Brit-ish sporting brands would have a handle on, but I just looked at Orvis, Beretta, Holland & Holland, and Cordings, and none seem to be advertising what you're looking for. Maybe check back in the late summer or early fall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    ...Bean boots, but I can see the attraction of what you have in mind...
    I have had the same pair of Bean Boots since High School which have been re-soled (new bottoms sewn in) several times. I just do not think they are professional enough and they are very trendy with the younger crowd which makes me not want to wear them even when I am not dressed up for work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-maine/410863/

https://apnews.com/754c9f84ff7741b7841441054de0f754

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I have had the same pair of Bean Boots since High School which have been re-soled (new bottoms sewn in) several times. I just do not think they are professional enough and they are very trendy with the younger crowd which makes me not want to wear them even when I am not dressed up for work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-maine/410863/

https://apnews.com/754c9f84ff7741b7841441054de0f754
    Meh, I often lecture in Bean boots when the weather's crappy. No ill effects yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Meh, I often lecture in Bean boots when the weather's crappy. No ill effects yet.
    If you are a Prof., you do not even need to wear clothes to teach. I am a Director in Information Technology Services (reporting to the CIO) so the expectation is I must look professional (short of a suit and tie). I am hopeful that something exists that will be comfortable, professional, and weather proof/resistant. I can't be the only person on this board who needs such a boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the Bean Boots Caleb is suggesting. They are practical. I am sure the CIO (your boss) will respect you more when you wear sensible / practical footwear instead for trying to peacock around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out RedWing Heritage - they have chukkas and oxfords.

They are generally durable, rebuildable, and proofable with whatever wax they recommend.

There's a store in Natick and another in Dedham, probably others.

While you're hunting for footwear, check out Limmer in NH (there are two, check out both). Not what you're looking for here, but potentially of interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a chukka but the Merchant looks remarkably dressy in real-life and looks much nicer than the website would indicate. I love my Iron Rangers and if I needed something a little smarter these would be it
    Men's 861 Merchant Boot | Red Wing Heritage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made For The Makers SK8-Hi Reissue UC | Shop At Vans

Show's the boss you're an independent thinking problem solver. They're black to go with anything, they're cooler than anything the kids are wearing, they're durable and they're comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@caleb, @joosttx - I have some very old Bean boots but not sure it is professional enough now that they seem to be trendy with the millennials/students.

@TTX1, @jerk - leave it to the New Englanders (even though one now lives in SoCal) to make some good suggestions. I'll check them out.

@strongin - I think you work in AppDev. A professional colleague (from k-12 like me) accepted one of the Director roles and then contacted me and told me to apply for one of the others; I was ultimately offered it and accepted. Our teams are responsible for network, servers, telco, and helpdesk. One of our initiatives is to increase the professionalism of the team members as well as the service we provide so we need to set the example by dressing professionally and improving our departments reputation on campus. I am new to higher-ed, as well as my friend, so we are trying to meet, and possibly exceed, the "director level dress standard" on campus. This is why I thought Bean Boots, Doc Martens, and Vans would not be appropriate.

The red wing heritage seem like a good choice and please keep the suggestions coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    @caleb, @joosttx - I have some very old Bean boots but not sure it is professional enough now that they seem to be trendy with the millennials/students.

@TTX1, @jerk - leave it to the New Englanders (even though one now lives in SoCal) to make some good suggestions. I'll check them out.

@strongin - I think you work in AppDev. A professional colleague (from k-12 like me) accepted one of the Director roles and then contacted me and told me to apply for one of the others; I was ultimately offered it and accepted. Our teams are responsible for network, servers, telco, and helpdesk. One of our initiatives is to increase the professionalism of the team members as well as the service we provide so we need to set the example by dressing professionally and improving our departments reputation on campus. I am new to higher-ed, as well as my friend, so we are trying to meet, and possibly exceed, the "director level dress standard" on campus. This is why I thought Bean Boots, Doc Martens, and Vans would not be appropriate.

The red wing heritage seem like a good choice and please keep the suggestions coming.
    Maybe times have changed, but I've worked IT in higher-ed and we were lucky if the boss wore pants instead of shorts. It's pretty similar in my high-tech software company. But, yes, I work in app dev (web app at that) so as long as we cover our toes, we're good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Maybe times have changed, but I've worked IT in higher-ed and we were lucky if the boss wore pants instead of shorts. It's pretty similar in my high-tech software company. But, yes, I work in app dev (web app at that) so as long as we cover our toes, we're good.
    Those days are long gone apparently and why much of the department has left, or been asked to leave, in the past 12 months.

I do miss my days in advertising. Clothes were optional for almost all unless clients were in the office. It was a good day if the entire design staff was not stoned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Yeah I am app dev as well (web services), and I don't even have to do that these days. Shorts and flip flops are my summer jam here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On second thought, no need to import shoes from outside of MA or ME.

Any of the shoes on this list, really...

The 25 Best New England Brands of All Time | Complex

I think what you're really looking for is how to proof leather for winter... go with the maker's reco.

Finally, I sort of ignored it the first time, but on second reading I'm a bit surprised you're concerned that kids wear Bean boots. Welcome to New England private prep schools. It's not a new trend, it's permanent fixture... hard to beat for what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast