User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip-on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    If you are a Prof., you do not even need to wear clothes to teach.
    I do miss my days in advertising. Clothes were optional for almost all unless clients were in the office.
    Your education and work experience seems a bit different than mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendation Weatherproof professional looking chukka boot lace-up or slip

I also work in the technology realm with important clients in various climates.
    Our team is expected to be in professional attire, especially when at client sites.

A number of footwear suggestions posted could be nicely utilized at work.
    Terrific ideas for when one seeks to “split the difference” to be sharp, yet not too overdressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did my undergrad degree in New England, so I am guessing you probably don't want leather soles, regardless of layers or welting method. As nice as Lionel's suggestion is for the Lobb boots, you'll end up with warped uppers and rotten soles after a winter of constant use.

Craig's suggestion to look into Solovair is a possibility. They have different styles and are made in the factory that produced the original Dr Martens. They don't use the nicest skins, but the greasy ones are not bad in terms of water resistance and durability. The shiny, corrected grain versions are virtually water resistant, thanks to the thick layer of paint, but they will crack over time, at which point water will start to seep in. Another advantage is that they are not very expensive for something made in the West.

If you are not too stuck on chukka as a style and willing to consider others like chelseas and different types of lace-ups, then Trickers might be worth a look. Aside from their main business, viz., trickers.com, they have an outlet at trickersoutlet.com where there are some savings to be had. I'm not sure how Dainite soles would perform in icy conditions, but Commando soles would be worth a consideration. pediwear.co.uk is another source for Trickers as well as other brands. mrporter.com might be a more convenient source in case you need to exchange / return a pair for sizing issues, or when you're in the City, pop into the Grahame Fowler in the West Village to try some on for size.

As for weatherproofing, beeswax is generally better than animal fat even though some will swear by it. (Animal fat will cause the leather to break down over time, so it's fine to use for consumable parts like replaceable leather sole but not really the best option for uppers.) Sno Seal (Atsko - Solutions for Waterproofing, Hunting, Personal Care and Pet Care) is a beeswax based product that is effective and is widely available at outdoors shops and the interwebz. For the foulest of New England weather, I wore Navy Special Ops arctic mission standard issue leather boots with Sno Seal to good effect. I still use Sno Seal today, and those boots have seen 32 winters. My leather saddles, bar tapes and other leather bits that are subject to abuse get the Sno Seal treatment, as well.

Another option might be to look into companies that supply footwear to law enforcement and fire departments. It's unlikely that they would have a style you have in mind, but then, you never know...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm digging these moc-toe chukkas from Russell:https://www.sidmashburn.com/brown-ru...ukka-boot.html

I may lack style sense or discipline, but I'd absolutely wear those with a sportcoat and chinos on a snowy day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok fair point. You can order the Lobb with a rubber sole !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, I have nice leather shoes but do not want them ruined in bad NE weather (water, salt, etc.) which is the purpose of finding a weatherproof professional looking boot.

I am not stuck on chukka style but would like a low boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I did my undergrad degree in New England, so I am guessing you probably don't want leather soles, regardless of layers or welting method. As nice as Lionel's suggestion is for the Lobb boots, you'll end up with warped uppers and rotten soles after a winter of constant use...

...If you are not too stuck on chukka as a style and willing to consider others like chelseas and different types of lace-ups...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    ok fair point. You can order the Lobb with a rubber sole !
    Funnily enough, I went the other way with a predecessor double-monk boot model called Debee (with plain toes) that came with their spongy rubber outer soles but had JLP replace them with leather.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Funnily enough, I went the other way with a predecessor double-monk boot model called Debee (with plain toes) that came with their spongy rubber outer soles but had JLP replace them with leather.
    Yep, you can do back and forth at every re-sole.... My older pair of Lobb is 31 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not very familiar with American shoe brands, but over on this side of the pond, there are a fair number of makers who are happy to do a made-to-order pair. Let's say that you find a model you like, but you want Vibram / Commando soles on them instead of the standard Goodyear welt leather soles. They will do that for you, for an upcharge.

Another thing you might try is using stuffed / hot stuffed / drum stuffed / pull up leather in your search text and see what Google spits out. They are leather infused with oils / grease during the tanning process: they are more water resistant than other types of leather, so it may be a more suitable upper material for the job at hand, especially if you want a slightly lower maintenance material. Shell cordovan from Horween is stuffed, for example. However, keep in mind that not all cordovans are stuffed. Of the 4 cordovan-producing tanneries I know, the other ones do not stuff their cordovan. That's not to say that one is better or worse, just a different process and a different end product.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had good success with chisel-toe Blundstones although they might get a bit warm in the summer.

When travelling for work I don't bring alternate footwear and they seem to do me just fine in a professional setting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    I've had good success with chisel-toe Blundstones although they might get a bit warm in the summer...
    Good weatherproof option... Bludstone MEN'S ORIGINAL 500 BOOTS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any leather shoe with a rubber sole and treated will be fine for reasonably foul weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to suck up just wear what your boss does.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good weatherproof option... Bludstone MEN'S ORIGINAL 500 BOOTS

Are the soles on Blundstone boots better now? I had a pair where the sole crumbled apart after 4-5 years. It got to the point where large chunks of the sole would just break off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Alden make a rubber soled version of the Indy boot? Now that is a handsome shoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Success - 44 Alden Indy Boot

While not as sleek as some of the other options, I think the Indy boot has nice heft and strikes a good balance between something casual and formal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    If you want to suck up just wear what your boss does.
    she is of the lady persuasion so I am not sure what she has will fit me but I'll ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she is of the lady persuasion so I am not sure what she has will fit me but I'll ask.
    That can get a bit tricky!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought you said you were going to be working at a Boston-area liberal arts college.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- i like authentic "neatsfoot oil" for all my leather applications..
    ronnie with a smile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast