Thread: video games

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default video games

Not Zwift.

I've had a video game system since I was ~6 or so, starting with the SNES. I always liked them, but I've never considered myself a 'gamer'. As a kid video games were something to play when home from school sick, or later at night when it was too dark to go outside, or it was raining. It's the same now - something fun to do when there's nothing else to do (which is increasingly rare these days). I told my neighbor (who was wearing a Zelda t-shirt at the time) that while I'm not nerdy enough to buy a Zelda t-shirt, I am nerdy enough to recognize one. So while I enjoy playing games, I don't follow along closely enough to know what the latest greatest stuff is.

I picked up a PS4 a few months ago, what games would y'all recommend? I really like single player best. So far I've got:

Grand Turismo - fun racing sim, I like it, but it fills the 'need' for racing games, don't really want another

Destiny - from the makers of Halo (which is easily one of my favorite games ever), it was a disappointment. Hard to follow the story, gets repetitive, a million different weapons that are all mostly the same. I haven't finished it, not sure that I will. Also, I *HATE* that you can't pause the game! WTF! With a baby in the house now that's pretty much a deal breaker.

Horizon Zero Dawn - this game is awesome. Interesting premise (similar to Destiny actually), fun game play. I'm playing through it a 2nd time now on a harder difficulty setting. I love that you can pause it at any point (even in the middle of a fight), turn off the PS4, and pick up exactly where you left off whenever you come back to it. Since I don't play that much, and rarely for more than 30mins at a time, this is super handy.

I think I'm going to order Tony Hawk 5, always enjoyed those games. I saw on FB that a new Red Dead Redemption is coming out later this year, I'll probably get it, I enjoyed the first one.

I always enjoyed the Grand Theft Auto games, but also always felt kinda bad about playing them, like I needed to go to church afterwards. One of my favorite things to do was enter the cheat codes for all the weapons/ammo/armor and see how much havoc I could bring before getting taken down. With the baby in the house now, and knowing that before long she'll be a little sponge and learning words, probably won't get another GTA game.

What else should I look into?
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: video games

Huge into Destiny, and Destiny 2 here. Yes, you can't pause because there are always other players in the world - you've figured this out I'm sure. Totally don't need this feature on single player missions and that can be a HUGE pain in the ass. Also means that the game stops if there are any server connectivity issues.

Simply put, I believe that there are no better games out there than GTA V and, Red Dead Redemption (kind of like GTA V set in the old west; same graphics engine and open-world play). Superb. Video game perfection.

Tom Clancy's The Division is also very, very good, but again - live world, can't pause.

I'm finding diminishing returns on anything Call of Duty related. The most recent WWII-themed one? Meh.

Of course, the Halo series is amazing.

Waiting for Half-Life 3 (or Half-Life 2, Episode 3 - whatever you want to call it). Like that's ever going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Huge into Destiny, and Destiny 2 here. Yes, you can't pause because there are always other players in the world - you've figured this out I'm sure. Totally don't need this feature on single player missions and that can be a HUGE pain in the ass. Also means that the game stops if there are any server connectivity issues.

Simply put, I believe that there are no better games out there than GTA V and, Red Dead Redemption (kind of like GTA V set in the old west; same graphics engine and open-world play). Superb. Video game perfection. It's a little older now, so that means you can get it for cheap. Amazing game.

Tom Clancy's The Division is also very, very good, but again - live world, can't pause.

I'm finding diminishing returns on anything Call of Duty related. The most recent WWII-themed one? Meh.

Of course, the Halo series is amazing.
    Yeah, I understand why you can't pause Destiny. I still don't like it, I'd prefer the option to turn off the online stuff w/other people and just play a normal single player version, with the option to pause.

Played thru both GTA 5 and Red Dead Redemption on the PS3. When we moved, somehow, the PS3 didn't make it. All the games, controllers, etc, did, but not the console. It either got got left behind (tho the current owner says it's not there), or thrown away on accident. I got the PS4 assuming (without actually researching) I'd be able to play all the PS3 games on it.

Turns out...not so. That's disappointing.

EDIT to add :: some of my favorite games ever were old platform style games. Mario, Sonic, and many of the Disney games on SNES and Sega Genesis were SUPER fun! Toy Story, Aladdin, and Lion King were all really, really good games. Not sure if there's anything like those now though.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 05-08-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many good games available for PS4. Here is a start:
    * Infamous Second Son - Kind of arcady, action game in a mostly open world. Really fun just to run around in. Was an early PS4 game so you can get it for cheap.
    * Bloodborne - Mostly single player if you play offline. A hard game, so don't get it if you are frustrated easily. Amazing environments and combat though. Unfortunately you can't truly pause it (part of what makes it hard), but still one of my favorite games
    * The Last of Us Remastered - Great story, great gameplay, great everything. Came out at the end of the last generation and was remastered for PS4. I have played through it 4 times at least. Can't recommend it enough.
    * The Witcher 3 - Huge open world, third person action RPG. So much to do you could sink hundreds of hours in it.
    * XCOM and XCOM 2 - if you like grid based strategy, laying finely tuned plans with your squad of characters and then watching it all go pear shaped get these games. Really fun if very difficult. Don't name your squad after family members as you will inevitably watch them die.
    * God of War - A transformation from the older games. Is a story about a father and son and the difficulties they face. If you have preconceived notions of God of War, forget them. I just started this.
    * Tomb Raider and sequel - Third person action. Great female lead and gameplay.
    * Uncharted 4 - Similar in feel to Tomb Raider but a bit less grim and gritty. Don't need to play 1-3, but if you want to there is a remaster that includes them available on PS4.
    * Persona 5 - Might not be your thing, but it is a JRPG where you control a group of teenagers in Tokyo as they battle monsters. Really stylish and fun.
    * Nier Automata - Another third person action RPG. Is meant to be played three separate times as it tells a story questioning humanity, choices, and a bunch of other things. Have to play three times to really enjoy and "get" it.
    * Monster Hunter World - Online (but you can play offline) of hunting monsters. More fun with a friend, but still a massive amount of fun fighting with a bunch of different weapon types against many diverse monsters.

I obviously play a lot. I'm sure I will think of more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff Murphy.

Decided not to get the Tony Hawk game, reading the Amazon reviews it is apparently full of glitches and just plain sucks. Over half the reviews are 1 star!
    Last edited by dgaddis; 05-08-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on your second post. The first ones I would recommend for you are:

* Infamous Second Son - fills that niche of roaming around feeling all powerful in a city.
    * The Last of Us Remastered - Just an amazing game. Stealth, action, plot. It has it all.

And although I haven't played it, if you like platformers like Mario, et al, then maybe you should check out Ratchet and Clank on the PS4. I played one a long time ago and it was fun. Or maybe even Little Big Planet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have never been a big video game guy but grew up in the N64 era - Tony Hawk Pro Skater and NHL '99 were my jam. Sports games are always fun.

My brother just got me this SNES mini thing: Amazon.com: SNES Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Europe), Not Region Locked: Video Games

Should be good for rainy days or winter darkness but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Which game should I start with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Based on your second post. The first ones I would recommend for you are:

* Infamous Second Son - fills that niche of roaming around feeling all powerful in a city.
    * The Last of Us Remastered - Just an amazing game. Stealth, action, plot. It has it all.

And although I haven't played it, if you like platformers like Mario, et al, then maybe you should check out Ratchet and Clank on the PS4. I played one a long time ago and it was fun. Or maybe even Little Big Planet.
    2 votes for Infamous Second Son & Last of Us - they're on the list. Never heard of either of them before.

Dang.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    Have never been a big video game guy but grew up in the N64 era - Tony Hawk Pro Skater and NHL '99 were my jam. Sports games are always fun.

My brother just got me this SNES mini thing: Amazon.com: SNES Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Europe), Not Region Locked: Video Games

Should be good for rainy days or winter darkness but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Which game should I start with?
    I've got one, it's fun. Mario is of course always great. Zelda, Contra, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, and Super Metroid are all worth checking into.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so, SO bummed that The Last of Us isn't available for Xbox One (or any Xbox, for that matter).
    Looks amazing.

Also, Witcher 3 is quite good, unfortunately I can't play it because the stick controls are not configurable and I am a southpaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifa 98
    nhl 94
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star Trek, started on a ASR-33.

Star_Trek_text_game.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT to console games but:

I loved the D&D types of computer games for a long time. Luckily for me I stopped playing just as the online games started to come around. The amount of time I would have sunk into them would be staggering. Now I have ports of the Baldur's Gate games on my tablet and nothing has ever made plane rides go by faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    OT to console games but:

I loved the D&D types of computer games for a long time. Luckily for me I stopped playing just as the online games started to come around. The amount of time I would have sunk into them would be staggering. Now I have ports of the Baldur's Gate games on my tablet and nothing has ever made plane rides go by faster.
    Baldur's Gate is fun. Playing Diablo 3 with a friend online is great though; I'll be the devil on your shoulder and say you should give it a try. It still draws me back in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Detroit: Become Human" comes out later this month and looks like an a wild choose-your-own-adventure type game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. Spent my lunch break watching reviews for Infamous, The Last of Us, and Witcher 3. All three look awesome (Last of Us is 'the best game I've ever played' and scored a perfect 10 in the IGN review), but for now I ordered The Last of Us and Witcher 3.

And now I'm going to ignore this thread for a while before I spend more money on stuff I don't have too much time to play...
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Witcher 3 is so good. You can get hundreds of hours of play time out of it, and the DLCs double that.
    If you have the time, I'd say The Witcher 1 and 2 are worth a playthough for the story.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing at sleeping dogs these last few days This is a gta like game which takes place in Hong-Kong. Less firearms, more kung-fu fighting. I believe it was ported to ps4.

I've also been playing at borderlands 2, it is a fun FPS with comics like aesthetics:

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I've been playing at sleeping dogs these last few days This is a gta like game which takes place in Hong-Kong. Less firearms, more kung-fu fighting. I believe it was ported to ps4.

I've also been playing at borderlands 2, it is a fun FPS with comics like aesthetics:
    I wish they would come out with a Borderlands 3 soon. Seems like forever ago that two was released.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I usually buy hardware several gen old I'm always lagging between 5 to 10 years behind so I can't complain.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast